Tire Flipping @ Home

chances are after work today I’m gonna go pick up my industrial / tractor tire. I can’t wait. I have been doing about 1 day a week of farmers walks & variations of sled work outside in front of my house. turn a lot of heads when cars drive by and people go for walks. curious to know what they’re thinking . “wtf is he doing???” has anyone here felt uncomfortable about flipping tire or hitting the tire with a sledgehammer @ home. I don’t want to become “that 1 guy” in the neighborhood etc…

I drag my sled, perform Prowler sprints, farmer’s walks, sprints and other exercises in front of my house and down the street.

I always get looks from people (positive and negative). But you know what? I don’t care! I do my thing and it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

I also have a garage gym and train regularly, so people in the neighborhood know me and usually see me when they drive by or if they are out jogging or walking in the neighborhood.

If I had a tire, I’d flip it in front of my house too!

If you’re the only guy working out the way you do in your neighborhood, then you may be that “one guy” that everyone refers to. But at least you are doing something healthy and beneficial rather than something destructive and dumb!

Most of the people in my neighborhood think it’s cool.My next door neighbor always says if he was 20 years younger, he’d be out there with me. There also a group of kids always playing ball down the alley and they like to come down to try the stuff out.

I don’t know if this is typical or if I just live in a friendly neighborhood.

Do not let societal norms mess with your head. Most people probably look at you training because they are interested in what your doing, not because they think your a weirdo.

When me and my buddy did strongman stuff we just got mild curiosity really. No complaints or anything, just some older women saying they knew who to call if their car broke down.

well I dont really have this problem because I live in the desert, but yeah I would be alittle uncomfortable at first, but im moving to the city next year

so i plan on taking everything unless i dont have a garage or something…lets hope! lol

[quote]MNguns wrote:
chances are after work today I’m gonna go pick up my industrial / tractor tire. I can’t wait. I have been doing about 1 day a week of farmers walks & variations of sled work outside in front of my house. turn a lot of heads when cars drive by and people go for walks. curious to know what they’re thinking . “wtf is he doing???” has anyone here felt uncomfortable about flipping tire or hitting the tire with a sledgehammer @ home. I don’t want to become “that 1 guy” in the neighborhood etc…[/quote]

Who cares what they think! When I had the room and tools I flipped my tire, hit with my sledge(just don’t let the rebound hit you in the shin.) and whatever else I wanted as loud as I wanted. It was only for a couple hours at the most. Have fun doing what you love.

got the tire. did my 1st workout with it this morning. heavier then I thought. 1 flip no problem. 2 flips. lil tough. 3 flips challenging. 4 flips not yet. fun though. very fun. curious to see where I’m sore tomorow. now I gots ta get my a sledge

Just curious MNguns, what size tire did you get. I know a tire salesman that can get me one cheap or maybe for nothing but not sure what size to get. Maybe there is a previous thread regarding this, dunno. I’m 5’9",185 if that helps. sorry if i’m hi-jacking your thread.

Nevermind, found the threads.

I’m that “1 guy” in the neighborhood and it’s really not that bad actually it’s kind of nice. The old people always keep me updated where chicken and beef is on sale. The younger people avoid me like the plague.

When flipping in the street we’ve had people drive by and comment or just stop and watch.

We even had one guy stop with a beer in hand and just chill and watch us.

Usually all positive stuff, people think it’s pretty cool.

[quote]grrrsauce wrote:
When me and my buddy did strongman stuff we just got mild curiosity really. No complaints or anything, just some older women saying they knew who to call if their car broke down.[/quote]

your avatar makes me sad.

Ha, I used to flip tires behind my house in a school parking lot and the sound echoing off the brick walls sounded like a gun shot. I actually had someone steal my first tire so I went out and got two and chained them together when I’m not using them.

Sounds sweet man. I wanna get a tire too. I have a big back yard that is begging for some tire tracks.

I think the heaviest tire I’ve got to play with was 550-600lbs. 1-2 flips at a time was all my body had. Hopefully I can flip our 500lb one 5+ times next month!

(ps PM me back!)

Time to get a tire.

worked the tire again last night. good times. not sure if I’d do it on my grass. I just spent a fortune putting in a sprinkler system and new sod last yr. for now its driveway. lst night I only did 3 sets of flips 2 flips @ a time. just xhausting on the body. I’m hoping by end of summer get around the 5 flip range. hoping to get a sledge this weekend.

I’ve been playing with my tires for a few months now. I have two, one @4-500lbs, one @200 lbs. The big one I do one or two flips at a time. The small one, I set a timer and see how many flips I can get in a set time. My problem is my yard is gravel. Getting that first grip sucks.

I felt weird training outside at home at first, but I got over it. It helps if you have a few buddies, then you won’t be ‘that one guy’. I did come up in a conversation my wife had with her friend. ‘Is he that guy who pushes the wheel barrow around the block?’. I took it as a compliment.