Tire Flipping Carryover to SQ/DL

Can anyone tell me if tire flipping has any direct carry over to squat and deadlift? I want to add it somewhere into my week simply because I thinking it’s fun and it’s good conditioning but am a little unsure of how to use it properly without impairing recovery. I currently use 531 as my base programming.

Tire flipping uses the legs, hips, and back. So it’s the same muscles as squat and DL. However, the motor pattern for a good tire flip is not really the same as a squat or DL.

As long as you keep the flips light enough that they are more of an explosion rather than a grind, I don’t think they will prevent you from progressing on the squat and dead. That said, I haven’t heard of much carryover other than just the fact that being strong is important to a good squat and deadlift.

I think if anything it will help. You’re using most of the same muscles including your abs and it also improves your cardio health.

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m hoping to develop some explosive strength from it since I’m mostly a grinder. I have a 600lb tire that I can flip pretty fluidly for 4-5 reps at a time. I’m just wondering where to fit them in…and do I have to take something out so I don’t get overworked.

I treat tire flipping strictly as conditioning work. I would fit it into your programming wherever you would fit in any other conditioning.

I have no idea if you should take something else out, because you didn’t tell us what you’re doing in the first place. Although I doubt you would need to.

My work week looks like this
Day 1 upper
Inc. bench - 531
Face pulls
Floor press
T bar row

Day2 lower
DL- 531
Defecit DL
GHR
Lunges

Day3 -upper
OHP-531
Super set w band pull a parts
Weighted chins
Weighted dips

Day 4 Lower
Squat Squat -531
Paused squats
Hack squat or split squat
Calf raise

I’m guessing at the end of squat or DL day would make the most sense.

If you like doing it just keep it in, im sure to an extent its going to help. But theres no real way to say how, it could help you explosively use hip extension a little better.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep it in and see how things go. My biggest problem is analysis paralysis. I over think too many things rather than just doing it.

[quote]mdub335 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep it in and see how things go. My biggest problem is analysis paralysis. I over think too many things rather than just doing it.[/quote]

at least you’re aware of it.

Yes, there’s plenty of room for conditioning work in there. I don’t see any reason not to include the tire flips.

What I love about tire flips is that they kick my ass while doing them, but they don’t really leave me tired out the next day. I think it’s because they don’t have an eccentric portion to them.