T Nation

Tips/Training for Vascularity?

I know it’s genetic, but there must be a training technique that promotes more visible veins. Maybe strip sets, or a slower tempo such as a 602???

Anyone have some suggestions???

Anything that lowers your bodyfat percentage (so its mostly diet)

That goes without saying, but once again this only shows your genetic make up and does not really enhance what you’ve got.

My thinking is that you would need to increase the amount and speed of blood flowing through the veins, and was guessing increasing time 8under tension may be a good strategy for this…or maybe higher reps…But I really don’t know!

Has anyone ever trained with the goal of increasing Vascularity before? If so what has worked?

It is all about bf and diet.

all diet…me being a FFA i was curling till the cows came home. It wasnt till my junior year of highschool when i slimmed down for my first powerlifting Comp (dont bash me…I WAS YOUNG) was when i achieved vascularity.

I can see my veins, it’s just that they’re not as pronounced as I want!
I have thick skin, but my bf% is around 9. I see a lot of people who hover at 12% and are more vascular than I am and it pisses me off!
Especially in my biceps…the forearms are pretty veiny, but the bicep only get’s that vein during my workout! I want it there when the arm’s cold!

[quote]G-men27 wrote:
I can see my veins, it’s just that they’re not as pronounced as I want!
I have thick skin, but my bf% is around 9. I see a lot of people who hover at 12% and are more vascular than I am and it pisses me off!
Especially in my biceps…the forearms are pretty veiny, but the bicep only get’s that vein during my workout! I want it there when the arm’s cold![/quote]

Pick better parents next time

1 Like

Damn…I was afraid you guys would all say that!

I have a lot of vascularity but i don’t see the appeal.

Girls always say “ewww” when the see it btw.

Does anyone reccomend Niacin (Vitamin B3)??

Heard this stuff gets the blood flowing (and also lowers cholesterol)!

Well I picked up a bottle of Niacin todaty, I’ll report back and let you know what I think!

BSN N.O.Explode and BSN Nitrix increase vadcularity becuase they contain nitric oxide which increase blood flow to the muscles.

well again as they have said dieting.

another one that I found works wonders is carb depletion… but I wouldent even consider this until you have a base.

The amount of exposure is dependant on bodyfat percentage and genetics. Alot of “pump” up excersises or isolation movements help but those other two predominant factors will determine how much vascularity is visible.

I just got my bicep vein… but I also recently dropped 5 pounds

The only “expert” I have ever seen comment on this is Poliquin, who says acetyl-l-carnitine and resveratrol.

Again, the importance of those factors probably pale in comparison to BF level, as others have pointed out.

David Barr recently wrote an article over at MD about supplements for vascularity, as well.

Get really fat forcing your body into angiogenesis to sustain the adipose and then cut. lol

Some of the corpulent bodies I dissect have amazing veins.

[quote]amphibian wrote:

Some of the corpulent bodies I dissect have amazing veins.[/quote]

/thread

[quote]Affliction wrote:
The only “expert” I have ever seen comment on this is Poliquin, who says acetyl-l-carnitine and resveratrol.

Again, the importance of those factors probably pale in comparison to BF level, as others have pointed out.

David Barr recently wrote an article over at MD about supplements for vascularity, as well.[/quote]

Yeah, aside from bodyfat levels below 8% and diet in general and genetics and supplements, you should work on increasing your capillary density with exercise. Now, all the factors I just listed are more important (EXCEPT supplements) because they are the big dogs. There’s no way you’re going to see veins popping out if you’re too fat to see them and if your diet sucks.

However, you can train to increase your capillary density. Thibs has written about it as a means to increase recovery rate, but it may also be useful to getting more vascular. I don’t know. I know it would not lead to any really large veins being produced (such as “the one on my bicep”), but maybe smaller ones would be visible.

Again, I don’t know, and it would take a long time to come into effect anyways if it did work because angiogenesis is a slow process. But it could be worth it.

Let me get this straight…

You want more pronounced veins that happen to be placed between fat and muscle?

Gain muscle, lose weight.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!