Tips on Squatting Wider?

Right now I am squatting with a shoulder width squat stance. Id like to make it much wider. How do I come about doing this?

I don’t mean to sound like an ass, but have you tried squatting with a wider stance? If so, what was the problem?

Using box squats helps to maintain good form while going wider. Try to stand wider each training.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
I don’t mean to sound like an ass, but have you tried squatting with a wider stance? If so, what was the problem?[/quote]

Ive tried it almost a dozen times. The problem is hitting parallel.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
I don’t mean to sound like an ass, but have you tried squatting with a wider stance? If so, what was the problem?

Ive tried it almost a dozen times. The problem is hitting parallel. [/quote]

Ah, then work on glute and hamstring flexibility.

You could also try widening your squat gradually. Squatting half an inch wider a week may help until you reach the width you want.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
You could also try widening your squat gradually. Squatting half an inch wider a week may help until you reach the width you want.[/quote]

If you want to go from a shoulder width stance to a wide multi-ply style stance, taking it out a half inch a week will take an entire year to get there.

Taking your normal stance then bringing your feet a step out and gradually getting to an ultra wide stance will probably be easier, but I don’t see why anyone would want to make it that gradual. How the fuck do you even figure out what a half inch wider is? Especially if you’re walking the weight out, which I assume the OP is doing.

OP, why do you want to take your stance out? Are you training in gear? If you aren’t already, I would recommend at the very least some Power Pants. Squatting raw like that week in and week out can be hell on your hips.

Lastly, working on glute/ham/hip flexibilty should help, along with sitting back and pushing your knees out.

I’d agree with both those, stretch (hips too) and gradually widen.
Maybe use a higher box untill you get the sq width you want then gradually work it down to parallel -1 inch.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
How the fuck do you even figure out what a half inch wider is? Especially if you’re walking the weight out, which I assume the OP is doing.

[/quote]

He could mark the floor (chalk), but as you implied it is possible to do things too gradualy.

undeadlift wrote:
You could also try widening your squat gradually. Squatting half an inch wider a week may help until you reach the width you want.

If you want to go from a shoulder width stance to a wide multi-ply style stance, taking it out a half inch a week will take an entire year to get there.

Taking your normal stance then bringing your feet a step out and gradually getting to an ultra wide stance will probably be easier, but I don’t see why anyone would want to make it that gradual. How the fuck do you even figure out what a half inch wider is? Especially if you’re walking the weight out, which I assume the OP is doing.

OP, why do you want to take your stance out? Are you training in gear? If you aren’t already, I would recommend at the very least some Power Pants. Squatting raw like that week in and week out can be hell on your hips.

Lastly, working on glute/ham/hip flexibilty should help, along with sitting back and pushing your knees out.

[/quote]

beat me to it.

Have a reason for squatting that wide. Dont take a stance like Chuck V. just because Chuck V. does. He is also wearing 4 plys of gear and using a mono. IIRC, you are not.

Squat to stand drill.

undeadlift wrote:

[/quote]

Right now I would just like to have a wider RAW stance, not really planning on multi-ply gear anytime in the near future.

Hey “blacklabel” - is that “Mountainman” in your avatar?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Bloobird wrote:

Ive tried it almost a dozen times. The problem is hitting parallel. [/quote]

Push your knees out. Also, when you set up, point your toes out a little bit.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Bloobird wrote:

Push your knees out. Also, when you set up, point your toes out a little bit.

[/quote]

Hey! I said the knee thing. No one ever listens to the girl :stuck_out_tongue:

BlackLabel, its great that you are taking your stance out, but its not likely that you will be able to get away with an ultra wide stance that you see with multi-ply lifters (though it doesn’t sound like that is what you are going for anyway). They squat that way for a reason.

you could sit in a squatted down position to stretch as well…maybe for a warm up?

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Bloobird wrote:

Ah, then work on glute and hamstring flexibility.[/quote]

i have the same problem, but i feel like its not my glute or hamstring flexibility. my hips are just extremely tight, especially in the front.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Right now I would just like to have a wider RAW stance, not really planning on multi-ply gear anytime in the near future. [/quote]

Why do you want a wider raw stance? That doesn’t make any sense to me. All of the good raw lifters I’ve seen use a slightly wider than shoulder width stance. Wide stance raw squatting will beat your hips to shit.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

Right now I would just like to have a wider RAW stance, not really planning on multi-ply gear anytime in the near future. [/quote]

Why do you want a wider raw stance?

How heavy are you?

And why are you shouting?

I squat raw (or single-ply) with a wide stance. Making depth is a bitch, but I don’t have any trouble getting out of the hole.

Push your knees out hard, I think one other guy already mentioned that.

My hips are fine, btw, but maybe in a few years? Who knows.

You may be interested to know that I’m bringing my stance in a little after the next comp to make it easier to hit depth (IPF are tough on depth).