Tips on Increasing Hip Flexibility for Squats/Deads?

I dunno if ur fed is passing borderline high squats then maybe not lol

1 Like

Nah gotta got depth lol

Hit *

Can you hit depth with lighter weight and no wraps? Based on the video it looks like your stance is too wide and you sit back too much and not down enough.

1 Like

Yeah I can. I went wider because it takes pressure off my knees.

I said that first. Copyright strike on you.

Bit of a tangent but following up on my deadlift belt thread I tried out a thinner less wide belt on deads today and PRed 570lb. First time belt has felt anything other than uncomfy and in the way on deds

3 Likes

Sounds like we may need to look at your knees if you really wanna hit some IPF approved depth. Wassup with the knee? You’re strong but not like knees exploding strong so I’m hoping there’s a way to help.

1 Like

That’s great for sure, my belt is good no issues there.

Knees are fine just as you get older they break down. I’m 35 and played football my whole life. I was doing body squats experimenting with the width of my feet and think I found my spot after watching that video you posted.

1 Like

Maybe tweaking overall training volume down will beat up knees less. If there’s any variations or movements that will build your squat well enough you could fill in the rest of the volume with it

1 Like

Hip flexor, hamstring, and adductor stretching are very important. I definitely agree with that. I’d also recommend box squatting despite the fact that you’re a raw lifter. I know I’ll catch a lot of flack for that recommendation ("oh it doesn’t carry over to the raw squat, only for equipped lifters! Boo hoo.), but it fucking works. It will also reveal instantly how weak your hips are. If your hips are weak, both lifts, especially the squat, will suffer.

1 Like

If you can hit depth without wraps and with less weight then maybe the issue isn’t flexibility but your ability to squat in wraps and handle heavy weight.

1 Like

Started doing some box squats and I like them so no flack from me lol but I’ve started a little band work and stuff to try and change some of my 5-3-1.

I can hit depth with heavy weight it’s not that I can’t, I just felt with a little more flexibility I’d do better and wanted some tips. The wraps do affect me sometimes of to tight which was the case with this lift. I have a heavier lift I felt I was better at.

Really appreciate all the feedback and tips!

If you’ve got access to the range of motion, passive stretching into more ROM would likely actually increase risk of something going wrong

Let’s say we’re digging a mineshaft, and then building a ladder down the side in case somebody fell down. If I dug the mineshaft significantly deeper than the ladder and someone fell, they would be stuck and probably die a horrible prolonged death before being eaten by worms.

The depth of the mineshaft is your flexibility, the length of the ladder is the range of motion within which you can create significant force. If your flexibility (mineshaft) becomes too much greater than your active ability (ladder), you’re opening yourself up to potential issues in the future

2 Likes

Very nice, thank you!

1 Like

Couch stretch, Dr. Kelly Starrett includes it in his book “Becoming a Supple Leopard” (recommended by GSP’s coach Firas) but you get into a lunge position, rear leg turns into a traditional quad stretch with foot up at glute, and you hold it there by backing up to the front of a couch, or doing the entire lunge on top of the couch and putting your leg on the back. I put a mat on the floor in front of a couch, turn my back to it, rest my rear foot on top of the cushion (ankle where shin meets top of foot right on the edge of the cusion) then I jam my knee really close to the base of the couch, 4" away. Front leg steps out into the lunch position, maintain tension on the rear glute, try to get torso upright without overextending the spine. When I first started I had to have a chair next to me to hold onto because I couldn’t get anywhere close to vertical, I was at like 45-50*. Hold for 5 minutes, switch legs. It’s a rough one but definitely did the most for me

1 Like

For squats I like to simply squat down between my legs, try to stay upright and push knees out with elbows. As far as deadlifts I am curious as I have no idea. I’m glad you brought that up because I never thought about mobility for DL.

1 Like

hip internal rotation is key for DL