Tips On Improving My Progress

Hi, I have just picked up working out again after a busy quarter of college. Basically, I am trying to lose some weight and put on more muscle.

Weight: 180 lbs
Height: 5’11
Waist: 32"

I lift about 4-5 times a week and on my off days I run hills. I was wondering if there are any supplements I should consider or just any tips on how to improve my progress.

[quote]entro wrote:
Weight: 180 lbs
Height: 5’11
Waist: 32"
[/quote]

With the stats listed above, I don’t think you’re in any real need of losing weight. Just work on gaining muscle mass. I think the best advice anyone can give you, or most beginners, is to stick with it and be consistent. Just keep lifting, and don’t worry too much about all the other details. You can start to dial in on the details once you know you are capable of lifting consistently for 9-12 months.

when you’re lifting, what do you do?

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Bicep Curls
Dumbbell Tricep Extension
Squats

I’m also doing what I can to stick to a high protein diet.

[quote]entro wrote:
I’m also doing what I can to stick to a high protein diet.[/quote]

Your diet should be high-everything. Except Sugar.

The program Petrichor gave you the link for is “Starting Strength” probably the best program for a beginning lifter. I wish it was around when I was starting. Your program is chest and arms. The squats are good, but otherwise it the typical injury waiting to happen. You need to train your whole body in a balanced way. “Starting Strength” will give you that.

High protein is not enough. You need quality carbs, mostly veg, and quality fats, heavy on Omega 3.

Would it be worth it to take any supplements? The only thing I’m taking is whey protein.

You need to fix your diet, and then fix your training, then fix your mind, then worry about supplements.

post your exact diet for the past couple days.

edit: removed TBT, go read starting strength that was mentioned before.

and go find nutrition for newbies, actually read all of the “for newbies” series by CT.

This is what a usual day looks like for me.

Breakfast: Zone Bar and a Banana
Lunch: Chicken or Beef in some form
Snack: Banana or Apple with some low cal/fat snack
Dinner: Fish or Chicken with salad

I doubt if that sums up to even 2000kcals/day. Your are not eating enough for growth or size gains. You don’t need supplements, you need food.

I usually eat relatively large meals, but after reading the nutrition for newbies, I think I’ll stick to a meal plan consisting of 5+ meals a day. Seems my other downfall is not having enough veggies or fruits in my diet. How much protein should I be looking to get into my diet?

I think I will also post a starting picturing soon and start a progress log as well.