Tips on Bulking From the Experienced

Ok I’m 15 and I’m about 5’6 and weigh 125, I am pretty strong for my size but need help bulking up without getting a belly.

Bench press max:165
Squat Max:225
Power Clean:115
Dead Lift:225
I am currently like my default picture. Need more mass.

I usually eat boiled eggs in the morning and take out the yolk and fill it up with peanut butter.(Taste great) And usually pasta wit tomato saucee at school after gym class(weight training) and some skim milk, banana, peanut butter jelly sandwich and a cheese stick. and for dinner a Big juicy steak, Protein Shake and some cheese.
I need some tips for bulking up and increase my bench press and squats. Thank you!

1. Keep the yolk and eat the peanut butter anyway.

2. Try to get around 3,000 calories per day. Keep a food log because you are not eating enough at the moment.

3. You will gain SOME fat during a gaining (“bulk”) phase, the goal is to minimize it. Get your food from mostly clean sources and lift hard.

I would have a protein shake after working out. It has helped me gain some mass. Also, I would try and bring some more meat for lunch.

there is a lot of good information on the top of the forum : bulking tips for newbies

Eat more. Stuff your mouth if you have to. That weight must come from somewhere.

As for increasing your squat and bench, do what you usually do. Seems like it’s working.

Try to maintain a consistant calorific surplus over your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), i would advise 300-500 calories above your Basal Metabolic rate.

The improvements in your lifts will come from consistant heavy lifting in the GYM and will incres with plenty of hard work.

I also suggest that you read these two articles by CT, should give you a good nutrional basis to work with

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/nutrition_for_newbies_part_1&cr=

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/nutrition_for_newbies_part_2&cr=
Hope all go’s well, best of luck

First off, I’ll bet you’ve NEVER had a belly before so don’t think you’re going to get fat overnight. Don’t be afraid to drastically increase your caloric intake. Seriously, you’re boderline emaciated judging by you avatar. I’m not one of the “Just Eat More” crowd but in your case it makes sense.

SKIM milk? Obviously dump it for whole. Add PB and/or olive oil to your shakes.

Carry nuts, cheese, protein bars, beef jerky around with you.

If you wake up at night for any reason, drink a big shake.

Use heavy, compound lifts almost exclusively (e.g. 20 rep squats) to increase your growth hormone levels.

Sleep! You grow when you rest.

Read this http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=487126

Read all of it, then eat a meal containing 6-800 calories, with a good 50g of proetin in it. Then do the same every 2-3 waking hours. Eat like a bigger guy, to become a bigger guy. Good luck mate.

If you do that, and do this

you will get stronger, too. See you when you’re about 170lbs

I’ve always had a pot belly so when I up my calories I don’t try to go overboard, because I don’t want to make my stomach worse. However, in your case, I don’t think you need to worry as much. You have almost no fat on your body. You could get away with eating more calories. Again, if you do notice some fat coming on then just simply cut back.

I’ve been doing trial and error with my diet for about two months. My weight has gone up and my waist has stayed at 32". So, I’m happy with that.

Since your in H.S.(Im guessing since you’re 15 and have a weight room) It’s hard to get in a decent amount of food every 3 hours to gain the size you want. Easiest thing to do, get yourself a cooler or cooler bag that will fit in your school locker. Go out and buy some whole wheat bread and 10 minute brown rice in bags. Cook up a shit load of the brown rice, maybe throw some broccoli in with it, throw some chopped up chicken, tuna, any kind of meat/fish, and store it in little zip lock baggies. In between class or in the beginning of class, whatever it is, grab one of those baggies every 3 hours and chomp it down. Aim for at least 3 slices of whole wheat bread or 1.5-2cups of brown rice at each meal. If you get in enough of your other macros, such as carbs and good fats, you should be okay with not eating a shit load of protein. And if you can eat oatmeal, shoot for 1-1.5 cups oatmeal in the morning made with milk. Eat say 2 full hard boiled eggs and 4 peanut butter stuffed egg whites.

Post workout shakes are also important. Make sure you’re getting 40g sugary carbs and about 35g whey protein. Easiest thing to do, drink 1.5-2 cups orange juice and do a 35g whey shake…easy enough to find really cheap whey protein online…Optimum Nutrtition is usually fairly cheap. Biotest’s Grow! is a good protein, but can be fairly expensive after shipping costs are included.

I don’t want to hijack… but I’ve been bulking since I first started lifting weights 6 mo ago, and in the past month and a half or so started keeping track of my weight daily, same time, same circumstances etc.

I’ve noticed my weight is fairly constant most of the days, but some mornings I will wake up and be 2 lbs heavier than the day before. I would normally think it is just water retention or something like that, but it sticks and becomes the new number that my weight hangs around until the next time it does it.

I was under the impression that weight gain would be at a constant pace, not have plateaus followed by a jump up.

I’m not sure if I explained it to well but I was sorta wondering if anybody knew what was up with that?

I think body growth happens in spurts…not steady growth. I say this because my sister just had a baby and one day she noticed the kid was taller from the day before. Maybe she’s wrong, but if she’s right that would suggest spurts of growth…which would also explain your situation.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I don’t want to hijack… but I’ve been bulking since I first started lifting weights 6 mo ago, and in the past month and a half or so started keeping track of my weight daily, same time, same circumstances etc.

I’ve noticed my weight is fairly constant most of the days, but some mornings I will wake up and be 2 lbs heavier than the day before. I would normally think it is just water retention or something like that, but it sticks and becomes the new number that my weight hangs around until the next time it does it.

I was under the impression that weight gain would be at a constant pace, not have plateaus followed by a jump up.

I’m not sure if I explained it to well but I was sorta wondering if anybody knew what was up with that?[/quote]

Weigh yourself once a week. Doing it every day may make you paranoic when you begin to see more wild fluctuations of weight.
Just be consistent.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:

I’m not sure if I explained it to well but I was sorta wondering if anybody knew what was up with that?[/quote]

I’ve been lifting about 10 months now and I’ve weighed and measured myself frequently.
I will stabilize at a weight and then jump up about 1-2 pounds and will stabilize at that weight if it’s muscle I’m putting on.

I’ll make measurements and usually measure gains on arm, legs or chest after seeing a 1-2 pound gain.
The body can undergo fluctuations like this from just eating a hell of a lot the previous day (obviously), but if you’re watching your diet and haven’t had a cheat day, then there’s a good chance it’s muscle -at least this has been the case for me.

Best thing in the world you can do is find a way to get a protein shake as close to after your workout as possible. Make sure it has carbs and protein.

how long have you been lifting? How low do you squat? post a video, post pics of legs, back, etc, post a day of your diet with nutrient breakdowns.