T Nation

Tips: How to Get Freaking Huge

Just thought for opening one, please share your best tips about training, nutrition, motivation, experience and what ever up in your mind for the noobies here.
We all noobs thank you :smiley:

read every other thread and article on the domain of TNation.com

couldn't be easier, honestly.

When it comes to putting on size, the best results I've seen for myself and clients, is so simple, most people won't follow it. All we do is squats, dips, chins. Three exercises done twice a week. One workout is a 5x5 workout getting as strong as you can, and handling as much weight as you can in that format 5x5, adding weight when ever possible.

The the second workout is a rep workout using body weight. We do 3 sets of as many reps as you can get with your body weigh for dips and chins, then for squat put roughly your body weight on the bar, and do one set for as many reps as posible. Breathing style, so after the first ten reps, you take 5-10 breaths at the top between reps, 20-30 reps, once your there you can start adding 5lbs a week, to this one all out set.

Eat and sleep as much as possible. There's lots of weight, and size gaining programs out there, but we do this one for 3 month blasts, and I've never seen anything work as well. 2cents

Build a huge work-capacity over time so that you can train both heavy and very high volume...
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/alphas_work_ii

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/alpha_how_do_you_train

10 hours sleep at least once a week. Eat tons of quality nutrition. Get as much peri-workout supps in as your stomach and wallet will allow.

Read a bunch of articles by guys like Dan John

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/40_years_of_insight_part_2&cr=

They all say different and often contradictory things, though.

KISS.

Sort the articles by authors and read all of Thibs' or Wendler's articles. Then find out for yourself, like the rest of the world.

They are main contributors to this site so I would trust you to trust them since you're navigating their site.

He wrote this today and i loved the message. It applies to experienced lifters as they sometimes forget as well as to beginners as they have no clue,

http://www.T-Nation.com/training/mistakes-that-limit-your-gains

Consistency. Train 3-5 days a week, month after month after month. You'll undoubtedly try to figure out "the perfect program", but as long as your ass is in the gym doing something 3-5 days a week, and you're not doing some over-the-top-retarded routine (zero leg work, everything 15+ reps, etc.), you won't go too far wrong. The details are just details.

Consistency. Eat 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, plus a shake when you lift. Get that in place for about a year first, and then you can think about experimenting with intermittent fasting, eating every three hours, zero-carb paleo, or whatever else might float your boat.

Always remember that, If you want to, you can still be kicking ass in the gym when you're nearing 70. Robby Robinson, Dave Draper, hell even Sylvester Stallone are examples. Keep that in mind and it should put into perspective the futility of stressing about whether or not you should cut for the next 3 months or if it's better to get 1 gram or 1.25 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

Wendler said it best: "Eight weeks to a better body, four weeks to a bigger bench. Dude, fuck that, I'm a lifer. I want 10 years to a bigger bench."

If you can find a training partner who's more experienced than you, do what they say even if it's against what you read online. Live in-person training is a whole different animal, and gives a different perspective itself. One of my biggest training-related regrets is turning down a chance to train with my larger, stronger, older buddy when I was getting started.

Now why on earth did you do a thing like that???

Because I was 18 and obviously knew everything there was to know about lifting 'cuz I read a bunch of magazines. I was 6'2" and about 180 when I met the guy. He offered to basically give me free training to get me where I wanted to go, but I said no because I was busy spending two week's pay on supplements every month, totally believing I'd be the next Body for Life winner.

Some good stuff in here already but I would just add:
Don't waste time on things that don't really matter .
I think the body needs to be balanced in favour of more pulling then pushing.

Focus on big multi joint lifts.
Squat , Deadlift variation, BB or DB Bench press , BB or DB row, Pullups, Dips, BB or DB Overhead Press, High pulls .

Now there are plenty of other great exercises out there and you can throw them in as an extra but i wouldn't really replace the above too much. Lateral raise variations certainly will build shoulders and aren't as hard on the joints but BB or DB high pulls will hit them even better.
Rope push downs are one of the most common exercises you will ever see but i think bar dips are better.

As you get more experienced you will start splitting your routine up and this is where added exercises per bodypart come in but when starting out it may not be necessary as full body routines are generally a good way to start out.

You will always read conflicting views though. Full body vs Split training ? Squats or leg Press? Conventional Deadlift or Trap Bar or even Romanian? Flat bench or incline? Should we overhead press at all? Everyone has a differing view and it's wise to take in both sides of each providing it's from a reliable source. The authors on this site are pretty damn good. Thibs, Meadows, Gentlecore, Hyght hell if you want to see what intensiveness is check out Dave Tate's stuff. Watching him just shows how much effort goes into training if you want to be elite.

Of course none of this does any good unless you eat a tonne of protein every damn day lol.

Some great advice in here. I would say from personal experience that I spent a lot of time looking for routines that would make me strong as hell and look good at the same time, and doing various programs, plenty of assistance work, etc etc.

The most progress I've made, aesthetically and in strength terms, has been cutting most accessory work, and spending 90% of my effort just working the big 4 lifts. Throw in some chins/dips/rows too and you've got all you need. If I had my time again, I'd do exactly that.

I agree with the above, when trying to get big and strong. The fewer exercises you can focus on the better. Right now trying to come back from an injury and life. My focus is on the squat only, all other exercises are optional at this point. it's amazing how much strength gains are possible when your focus is dialed in, and not spread around.

Know when to back off.

We all love to go balls to the wall, but there's a point where you realize that you will make better progress if you go home and eat something instead of continuing to train. Which kind of relates to my next point: avoid injury. Injury is something that absolutely KILLS progress. Since I started getting into powerlifting, noticing just how many of the other new guys got some solid injuries and seeing the huge extent to which it damaged their progress (and experiencing it a little myself) has really changed my attitude/game plan towards lifting. Right now, I focus a lot more on soft-tissue work, mobility, pre-hab exercises, form, warming up properly, supplementing for joint health, etc. than I did at the beginning.

The road to being a good lifter is a marathon, not a sprint. Play it for the long game and you will be rewarded.

Wow.

I just read through Alpha's log. The man is scary strong.

1. Eat. Eat alot of good quality protein, carbs and fats and in plenty. Dont be afraid of losing your abs temporarily (luckily I have never had them so I don't have this holding me back.) Dont be afraid of eating and eating often. Honestly if your goal is to get huge as quick as possible eat Omelets, drink milk, Pizza, Lasagna, and Hamburgers. Mind you I do not mean eat Waffle House for Breakfast, Little Ceasars for lunch and McDonalds for Dinner. Eat these foods but, make them your self much cleaner calories but, still loaded with everything you need to grow and are delicious.

2. Sleep well. Take a ZMA and Melatonin before bed. Helps stay a sleep and have better quality sleep which means longer and higher quality recovery. Recovery is the name of this game. You can Squat til you puke but, if your nit eating and sleeping enough you will not grow period flat.

3. Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Overhead Press once weekly. Dont switch programs daily. Pick one and stick with it for a few months atleast. This probably the biggest mistake people make. They are constantly looking for the magic exercise, rep scheme, or new piece of equipment. I have even been guilty of this more than anything. In the words of Sam Byrd told to me a few months back " Stop fucking worrying about how many variations of x,y, and z you can. Shut the hell up, get under that bar, and fucking lift or go home." this really hit home as I look at all these programs there are I realize most recommended here are great but, if you do not get under that bar and work then your not going any where.

4. If you have love handles or are under 180lbs and are not fucking sliced dont cut your shirt completely down the sides it actually puts your body into a state of homeostasis and muscle growth is completely impossible while in this state.

Thanks for bringing that link up. What an awesome individual. I've read the whole thing through. Much to be admired.

Lol.

If you wanna increase your leg size , should you go for high reps or low reps?
i basically start with 12 reps and end up with 2 reps is that correct?

that would work. I don't think that matters as much, as the following:

progressive overload.

Meaning, as long as the weight is a little heavier the next time. You can do that.

The "size reps" are usually 6-8

The "strength reps" are usually lower than that.

You getting bigger over time has to do with progressive overload.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=progressive+overload