Tips for Training Hamstrings (No Deads)?

this is the problem,since I re-started to lift I had and have a progression in all basic/compoud excercises but lying leg-curls (just this machine at gym for hams).
no matter how hard I hit them (to failure and beyond,patial reps,iso etc etc) load increases very slow (now,35-40kl/ 80lbx9reps).

about deads(and variations like pin pull etc); i can’t do it no more,my back is healthy and strong but I have to keep it fresh because of my active job,first two days after DL is a pain in the ass and I have to walk,squatting and moving at work.
so any suggestion to improve the damned femoralis?

thanx

Mikael

Yeah, deads are great but you dont need them.

Try this…what I do sansdeadlifts

Seated Ham Curls 3 sets 8-12

Rope Pullthroughs 3-4 sets 8-12

Single Leg Culs 3-4 Sets SS with standing single leg curls (bodyweight)

Reverse Hyper 3-4 sets 8-12 reps

I also like doingtripoint…which means one set in each toe position…nuetral, toes in, and toes out

stretch between sets too

throw some DB SLDL’s in there too…wide stance toes out

also try goodmornings with straight legs

Glute Ham Raises, if your gym doesn’t have this fine piece of equipment look up how to utilize the lat pulldown machine or a training partner.

if you want to stay fresh and develope your hams without pulling deads go with glute-ham raises. do them on a lat pulldown or keep your feet under a heavy barbell or a sturdy machine/bench.

thanks to all,
I will do a try at GHR,my gym doesn’t have it so I will find out some hardware.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
also try goodmornings with straight legs[/quote]
goodmornings are the shit

Keeping in deadlifts and just washing the ensuing sand out of your smelly vagina is also an option…

How are you training deadlifts if you’re fatigued for two days after? Write down your typical sets, reps and weight for a workout.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I’m able to train deadlifts hard and progress completely fine without running myself into the ground. I mean, I have no issues doing physical work the day after I train.

straight legged deads* with dumbbells work my hams like crazy. it almost feels like an isolation movement.

*these ‘deads’ are not taxing on the lower back due to the weight used and the way you perform the exercise (atleast that’s what i find). really focus on just lowering the weight until you feel a good stretch in the hams and then pop back up focusing on only using your hamstrings.

[quote]cyberwar wrote:
How are you training deadlifts if you’re fatigued for two days after? Write down your typical sets, reps and weight for a workout.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I’m able to train deadlifts hard and progress completely fine without running myself into the ground. I mean, I have no issues doing physical work the day after I train.[/quote]

Once my deadlift work reached 2xBW+ for 4-6 reps, I had to move the deads to leg day in order to recover properly.

Romanian DL with a bar or DB really hit the hams withtout much low back strain. Also look at Shelby Starnes youtube channel for some great idea like the ham killer and some others.

[quote]buzza wrote:
thanks to all,
I will do a try at GHR,my gym doesn’t have it so I will find out some hardware.[/quote]

What has been working well for me lately is to place a flat bench beside a power rack perpendicularly, and put my legs under the pin (with a thick pad around it) on that side.

Hamstrings respond best to many sets of heavy weight with low reps, and also, if i remember correctly, heavy negatives.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]cyberwar wrote:

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I’m able to train deadlifts hard and progress completely fine without running myself into the ground. I mean, I have no issues doing physical work the day after I train.[/quote]

Once my deadlift work reached 2xBW+ for 4-6 reps, I had to move the deads to leg day in order to recover properly. [/quote]
That’s some strong lifts :slight_smile: Did you pair it with back earlier?

What I really asked the OP was how he trained the deadlift, not necessarily the split or exercise pairing. Working up to one max effort set shouldn’t cause too much “deadlift hangover”. Doing something crazy like 10x10 like in GVT on the other hand…

if you don’t have a GHR, don’t bother…

I would focus on:

Squat
Standing single-leg curls
Seated/lying leg-curls
Barbell RDL for higher reps
Barbell GM’s (focus on pushing hips back/stretching hammies, you’ll have to go lighter in weight).

Why not? A natural GHR hits the hammies more than a GHR machine, since it’s more like a bodyweight leg curl.

Squat, weighted lunges, GHR’s, and stiff leg dead lift works best for me.

why not just deadlift the day before you have off so soreness doesnt affect your job?? assuming you have a consistent work schedule.

[quote]cyberwar wrote:
Why not? A natural GHR hits the hammies more than a GHR machine, since it’s more like a bodyweight leg curl.[/quote]
meh… I’ve tried all different combinations of GHRs, and never liked any of them. An actual GHR though, on the GHR apparatus… is badass.

Also to OP, try seated leg curls, but lean forward (to give a pre-stretch to your hamstrings), and curl with your ankles plantar-flexed (so that the gastroc is shortened, and thus taking it a little bit out of the knee flexion force output).