Tips for Surgery Recovery?

Hey I’m getting surgery in about a week for my nasal deviation and sleep apnea (uvulaplasty). The doc says I’m most likely going to lose a lot of weight during recovery which he says will be about 10 days. I’m not going to be able to eat solid foods for most of this time.

Any advice on prep and recovery in terms of losing as little as possible in terms of weight and strength?

Is it a good idea to overload my body as much as possible the days prior because I’ll have a lot of time to recover?

I’ll try to drink as much weight gainer + olive oil as I can, any other ideas in terms of liquid meals that aren’t very thick?

Thanks

Is 10 days of no lifting or eating idealy really something to worry about, in the grand scheme of things?

Seriously how long could it take to gain back whats lost in 10 days? A week, at the most maybe?

I Haven’t taken off more than a couple days in the last 2 years so I don’t know what it will be like in terms of loss.

I’m doing a pl meet in February and I thought this might set me back. Not in the grand scheme though, you’re right.

Thanks Bonez

When was the last time you had a true deload week in any of your training cycles? From the sounds of your last post (I Haven’t taken off more than a couple days in the last 2 years…) the forced time off might be a good thing so your body gets some nicely needed recovery.

In terms of food, I wouldn’t stress over it. Stick with some smoothies/shakes, yogurt, whatever you can tolerate.

I have planned deload weeks but I always ended up going to the gym and going hard anyway. I just feel antsy when I’m not going to the gym.

I think you’re right about my body needing the rest. That and flexibility work will hopefully make my chronic back pain go away (MRI showed nothing)

I just did the preop and I misunderstood what he said. He said 10 days eating only liquids and 3 weeks before I will be fully recovered. But I think better sleep quality will make my gains better than before anyway.

Thanks