T Nation

Tips for Snatch

Hey guys, i’m about 210; I’ve been at the olympic lifts for about two years now…went from 235lb clean to 345lb. However, my snatch has improved little it’s at about 225lb from 175.

I’m having trouble with the “lockout” at the very top of the movement. That is, I can a larger amount of weight (for me :)) to the top, but I can’t get it to stick. Any recommendations?

Overhead shrugs and rack lockouts (2"-3") with clean and snatch width grips along with heavy supports or even “walks” with both grips (and various grips in between).

I place the bar on top of my squat rack (I’m 6’-2") and press the loaded bar from inside about 2-3 inches. I can stand on 10lb plates to increase the distance. You can press and support some pretty significant weights this way.

Nice weights! You are ahead of me.

I would practice drop snatches (aka snatch balances). It will reinforce getting under the bar fast and having to quickly lock out under the bar.

Also, as a part of your warmup do some “press unders”, stand with the bar on your back like you are going to squat using a snatch-width grip, and squat under the bar while pressing the bar up at the same time. Sit in the full squat snatch position for a moment for standing up.

[quote]Joseph93 wrote:
Hey guys, i’m about 210; I’ve been at the olympic lifts for about two years now…went from 235lb clean to 345lb. However, my snatch has improved little it’s at about 225lb from 175.

I’m having trouble with the “lockout” at the very top of the movement. That is, I can a larger amount of weight (for me :)) to the top, but I can’t get it to stick. Any recommendations?[/quote]

My question:

Do you do the oly lifts on your own time or are you trained by an oly coach or an actual oly competitor.

Thank you for the tips, I will start using them this week! I never used the “press unders” but limited myself to overhead squats; The shrugs sound intense.

As far as a coach, no…just the Jim Schmitz videos from ironmind and various other books. Thanks guys for the help!

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
My question:

Do you do the oly lifts on your own time or are you trained by an oly coach or an actual oly competitor.[/quote]

I trained myself for the first two years. Now, I have a coach that I see once a week (150 miles round trip) and train with other OLer that day. The coach writes my program for the other two days I lift on my own.

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:

I would practice drop snatches (aka snatch balances). It will reinforce getting under the bar fast and having to quickly lock out under the bar.

Also, as a part of your warmup do some “press unders”, stand with the bar on your back like you are going to squat using a snatch-width grip, and squat under the bar while pressing the bar up at the same time. Sit in the full squat snatch position for a moment for standing up.[/quote]

Aren’t “press unders” also called a Sotts press? Whatever you call them include them in your workout or at leats in your warm-up.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Krollmonster wrote:

Also, as a part of your warmup do some “press unders”, stand with the bar on your back like you are going to squat using a snatch-width grip, and squat under the bar while pressing the bar up at the same time. Sit in the full squat snatch position for a moment for standing up.

Aren’t “press unders” also called a Sotts press? Whatever you call them include them in your workout or at leats in your warm-up.

TNT

[/quote]

Sotts Press is executed by starting in the bottom of a squat and then, while staying in the bottom position, press the bar upwards. Requires a lot of tension and flexibility.

I have a similar problem with my snatches. I do Overhead Squats, Snatch Balances, Pressing Snatch Balances, and Snatch Push Press + Overhead Squats.

[quote]Joseph93 wrote:
Hey guys, i’m about 210;[/quote]

Must be the world’s oldest man. :wink: