T Nation

Tips for Side Delts?

[quote]zraw wrote:
If you do full rom lateral raises, cut your weight in half. Im 100% sure you are using too much weight. I do my full rom lateral raises with 20lbs… to give you an idea

CONTROL the weight. If you cant reverse the movement at all points during the negative, its too heavy, period[/quote]

so true, so very very true

[quote]zraw wrote:
Do this

If you do full rom lateral raises, cut your weight in half. Im 100% sure you are using too much weight. I do my full rom lateral raises with 20lbs… to give you an idea

CONTROL the weight. If you cant reverse the movement at all points during the negative, its too heavy, period[/quote]

Should I do any other kind of later raise with these?Like a full ROM then go to heavy negatives or just these will do?

Suppose I could always do some machine lateral raises too

[quote]Delta31 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Do this

Should I do any other kind of later raise with these?Like a full ROM then go to heavy negatives or just these will do?

Suppose I could always do some machine lateral raises too[/quote]

Id alternate between these two workouts

a) heavy partial lateral raises (see video) 4 x 25
B) reverse pec deck machine 4 x 15 with 1sec squeeze on each rep
C) db front raise to eye level with .5sec squeeze controlled negative
D) 6 ways 3x10

A) 5 x 6 explosive cage press
B) 3 x 25 heavy bent over lateral raises/swings
C) 3 x 12 full rom lateral raises supersetted with spider crawls 3ups and downs = 1set

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Delta31 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Do this

D) 6 ways 3x10

C) 3 x 12 full rom lateral raises supersetted with spider crawls 3ups and downs = 1set[/quote]

what are 6 ways

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Delta31 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Do this

D) 6 ways 3x10

C) 3 x 12 full rom lateral raises supersetted with spider crawls 3ups and downs = 1set[/quote]

what are 6 ways
[/quote]

A method of torture invented by Satan.

There is a video in the meadows shoulder training article.

seated with a DB in each hand. Side raise to ear level, then bring the DB’s horizontally in front of your face (with straight-ish arms), then raise DB’s overhead like an exagerated front raise. Then reverse the movement all the way down to the beginning. That’s one rep.
That’s about as well as I can explain 6-ways.
They key is light weight and focus on CONSTANT tension throughout the positive AND negative AND the transition between each rep.

Great advice so fat regarding exercise selection…although my best advice for delts its to get to a bodyfat digit where you can appreciate them striations. For me at the end of the day, striations or separations in the soulders are what make them impressive or not.

The exercises that I feel has done most for my side delts are side laterals with cables and bands. I have done them in the following manner:

Attatch leather cuffs (the ones used on leg exercises) to the lower pulleys. Use the right side one on your left wrist and vice versa so the cables are crossed. Choose a weight you can use for about 15 controlled reps(1 sec up, 4 sec down) and do only 10-12 reps. Rest 30 sec. Repeat for a total of 4 sets. (4x training from Ironman Mag).

With bands do the same thing, but stand on the right hand band with your left foot and vice versa. Use bands that will barely allow you to reach ear level with your hands. Same speed as with cables.

It’s very important not to let the delts relax at the bottom position at any time. It will burn and it’s supposed to!

On a side note I find that 4x training is very effective on most bodyparts. It might not be the best for the ego due to lighter weights, but I could not care less as long as it produces the wanted results!

Give it a try, it’s well worth it.