T Nation

Tips for Preventing Knee Injuries

Has anyone experienced knee injuries from working out? Any advice on how to prevent it?

When I put my hand on either knee and straighten my leg, I can hear and feel all this crackling, which I'm guessing isn't good. There isn't any pain though, so maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Fish oil and a month it should start to ease up.

Crackin could be anything. I wouldn’t worry about it.

the best thing you can do to prevent knee issues are:

Stretching and mobility amongst quads,hams,gluts, and hips.

supplements like fish oil and joint supps are a given if your routines call for it.

18 tips for bulletproof knees by Mike Robertson

Good article

Adequate warm-up (both general & specific) prior to all training
Omega 3 Supps

Don’t squat with narrow stance + knees out in front like so many do in the gym (knee-bends basically… Hard to go deep there without low-back rounding, anyway, and I really feel knee discomfort immediately after the session for a day or two, so luckily I stopped doing that kind of thing early and switched to “proper” technique/setup).

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Don’t squat with narrow stance + knees out in front like so many do in the gym (knee-bends basically… Hard to go deep there without low-back rounding, anyway, and I really feel knee discomfort immediately after the session for a day or two, so luckily I stopped doing that kind of thing early and switched to “proper” technique/setup).

[/quote]

…and don’t put your weight on your toes when squatting.

…And don’t put your hands on your knees and then straighten them. Heard that they’ll make crackling noises when you do that. Ha!

I second the 18 tips for bulletproof knees man, it’s a great article and goes more in depth than I ever could. I’ve got pre-existing knee issues post surgery (ACL Reconstruct, Arthroscopy, Cyst removal, etc) and all that. That article helped me a lot.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I’ve gotten out of the habit of taking fish oil, so just another good reason for doing it. I’ll also check out the bulletproof knees article.

In case anyone else is experiencing knee crackling, here’s something I found while researching online:

Knee snapping, popping, or grinding

A knee that snaps or pops when you walk, exercise, twist, or turn may be annoying but usually is not a cause for concern if you don’t have any pain and your knee feels stable.

A knee that snaps or pops at the time of a painful injury may be caused by:

• Sprains, strains, or other injuries to the ligaments and tendons that support the kneecap.
  • A torn ligament, such as the torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) or the medial collateral ligament (MCL).
  • A tear in the rubbery cushions of the knee joint (menisci).
  • Breaks (fractures) of the kneecap, lower portion of the femur, or upper part of the tibia or fibula. (See an illustration of the structures of the knee.) Knee fractures most commonly are caused by abnormal force, such as a falling on the knee, a severe twisting motion, severe force that bends the knee, or when the knee forcefully hits an object.
  • Kneecap dislocation. Pieces of bone or tissue (loose bodies) from a fracture or dislocation may get caught in the joint and interfere with movement.

Grinding may occur with joint movement because of other conditions, such as:

• Degenerative joint disease (osteoarthritis).
  • Wear and tear on the material that absorbs shock and provides a gliding surface (articular cartilage) on the underside of the kneecap (chondromalacia patellae).