T Nation

Tips for Making Protein Bars

ok i have read John Bererdi's recipe for making protein bars. i wanna start making my own using some cheap vanilla whey from body fortress and im gonna add cashews,almonds, and pecans.

i need them as meal replacements because when i work i cant eat every 2-3 hours. id rather do protein bars than shakes because its more conveniant. i might do either Metabolic Drive or ON's 100% casein, depending on my budget i might use the cheap whey.

im cutting now so each bar will be about 350k/cal and i need them to be p+F. im not gonna keep them cold so i cant use the refrigerator technique. what stuff do you guys use for yours?

i dont wanna buy any because all the ones ive seen have sugar and lots of carbs

Tag. I'm currently spending $7/box of six Snickers Marathon Protein bars. I'd love to make my own if it wouldn't taste disgusting, like these do. Does doing this get costly?

I make JB's peanut butter protein bars all the time. At first I cooked them in the oven but they never seemed to turn out right...always to dry in the middle. I know you said you can't keep yours cold but that the only alternative I've found. I freeze mine after I've made the mix, it turns into a peanut butter bar/Popsicle. You need to eat it fairly fast but it tastes great.

could you share the recipe with me so i can try it out?

also is this for protein + fat?

Yes it's a protein + fat meal.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/not_about2.htm

I think there is a T-Nation article with the recipe but I can't find it.
Visit JB's website and he has the recipe posted...or just buy his book.

tri think the one your talking about is in the "20 pounds in 20 weeks article" but thats protein and carbs.

the PB fudge bars look good

Using anything other than a milk protein blend such as Metabolic Drive will cause the bars to be very dry.

Protein and Fat actually - its the mixed nut bar.

Mixed Nut Bar

This recipe combines the good fats and nutrients in various nuts, together with whey protein for an easy-to-make bar that's low in carbs, high in protein, and full of healthy fats.

Ingredients

3/4 cup pecan meal

3/4 cup almond meal

1/4 cup walnut pieces

2 whole omega-3 eggs plus 2 whites, beaten

6 scoops vanilla Metabolic Drive

1/4 teaspoon salt

Splenda, to taste (optional)

Instructions

To make the pecan and almond meal, process the nuts in a blender. Mix everything together in a large bowl, and continue stirring until all of the ingredients have mixed together thoroughly. Spread the dough into an 8X8-inch baking dish coated with olive oil cooking spray, and bake for 15 minutes at 350-degrees F.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Difficulty Level: Easy

Servings: 6

Nutritional Information, Per Serving

Calories (k/cal)

Protein (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

fiber (g)

sugars (g)

Fat (g)

SFA (g)

MUFA (g)

PUFA (g)

Omega-3 (g)

Omega-6 (g)

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_nutrition_bodybuilding/20_pounds_in_20_weeks

Hey Talon,

If you haven't tried ON's 100% Casein I would suggest you go with another protein. I bought a 2 lb container of it and it was disgusting. I love the whey they have but I would steer clear of ON's Casein. Spend a few bucks more and get the MD.

i love the one 100% chocolate casein.

i thought all proteein even whey was milk based.

i got one of these batches in the oven right now. i used peanuts,almonds, and cashews.

they will be as follows

324 calories/20 g fat/ 10.6 g carbs(3.6 g fiber)/ 36 g protein
mmmmmm