Tips for Healthy Eating?

Just have to ask, how do you guys do it? I can usually eat 100% clean and portioned meals for about a month, but then i start to go crazy and get extremly hungry…
Am i doing somthing wrong with how i go about the clean eating? Just feel like im not getting enough energy from it and im always left feeling unfull

1. High protein
  2. food log
  3. carb refeed (if low carb)

I’ve been cutting for a few months now and have rarely been hungry… in fact, I often have to eat when I’m not hungry at all.

I’d imagine if you’re going low fat (and high carb), carb sources would have a lot to do w/ satiety (sweet potatoes and beans over rice and potatoes).

Oddly enough, for me, the first month was the toughest because I had to measure everything and look up the macros.

Just wish the eating part was as natural for me as the lifting part lol

I just focus on getting in 250+ grams of Protein and after that man I just eat. I try not o eat shit but Ill be damned if I make out perfectly proportioned meals and that shit. I 2-4 times daily depending and always have a high quality protein source, Complex Carbs, and a fruit or Vegetables.

My lunch could consist of 8-12oz Sirloin, Large Potatoes, and Salad or it Could be a entire Rotisserie Chicken and a few packs of Uncle Bens Whole Grain Rice. Your in the beginners section so chances are you need to focus on getting stronger and bigger. This requires calories from good sources of food not eating out of a tubaware container 6 times a day.

If eating healthy is your goal then you don’t need to eat like a body builder dieting for a competition… You just need to make smart decisions that you learned in elementary school about what you should eat but, with double the Protein and chances are you will be pretty successful.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I just focus on getting in 250+ grams of Protein and after that man I just eat. [/quote]

I agree with Reed. Focus on meeting your protein needs from whole foods and whey. After that eat as much or as little as you need to make through the day. I tend to eat more carbs on legs day since I am much more worn out than say after shoulders.

As far as the healthy part of the equation, stick to whole foods. Obviously keep junk/processed foods to a minimum.

I also suggest checking out the two youtube videos that John Meadows has with Antoine Vaillant shopping in Trader Joe’s together. He has some very useful tips and insight.

isnt 250+ grams of protein too much? i thought it was a half gram for every pound of body wieght

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
isnt 250+ grams of protein too much? i thought it was a half gram for every pound of body wieght[/quote]

Half gram is very low. The lowest I have seen recommended for gaining muscle is 1g per pound of bodyweight. I do about 1.3g per.

well thanks for letting me know, mabye this time i wont go insane

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
isnt 250+ grams of protein too much? i thought it was a half gram for every pound of body wieght[/quote]

I would never recommend below 1g per pound of bodyweight personally. 1.25-2g is where I try to sit around for the most part. But if I only get 200g or even slightly less (which hardly ever happens) I sure as hell don’t cry and lose sleep man.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:

Half gram is very low. The lowest I have seen recommended for gaining muscle is 1g per pound of bodyweight. I do about 1.3g per. [/quote]

x2 -very low. 2g per pound is often recommended.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:

Half gram is very low. The lowest I have seen recommended for gaining muscle is 1g per pound of bodyweight. I do about 1.3g per. [/quote]

x2 -very low. 2g per pound is often recommended.[/quote]

I agree. I am about the same as Reed. I vary from 1.3 to 2 g per. There are a lot of big guys that recommend anywhere in that range.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Oddly enough, for me, the first month was the toughest because I had to measure everything and look up the macros.[/quote]

Same here, but now I have a selection of about 5-10 recipes that I just cycle through.

If you learn to see food as a tool you don’t mind eating the same thing every day, and that makes your life so much easier.

Excluding breakfast, I tend to eat 4 different dishes for 14 solid meals in a given week, and switch them around when I get bored.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

I’ve been cutting for a few months now and have rarely been hungry… in fact, I often have to eat when I’m not hungry at all.

[/quote]
I’m the exact same way, I’m transitioning from eating pretty sloppy to eating somewhat clean and it’s awful I have to literally forcefeed myself. If you were going to keep track of anything, keep track of your protein cause you aren’t eating as much as you think or at least I wasn’t.
2 scoops protein= 56 grams
4 eggs = 24 grams
1 cup greek yogurt= 25 grams
Then fill in the rest with a pound of any meat and you’re good to go.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

Same here, but now I have a selection of about 5-10 recipes that I just cycle through.

[/quote]

That is why a spice rack is your best friend. I can eat chicken all day everyday as long as I have my spice rack to change up the flavor of each meal.

There’s 65g of protein in a pound of ground beef.

Brown it, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, pour it all in a bowl with the grease, mix and eat. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I suppose you could drain some of the grease, but it definitely enriches the flavor.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Brown it, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, pour it all in a bowl with the grease, mix and eat. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I suppose you could drain some of the grease, but it definitely enriches the flavor.[/quote]

Yup + wheat penne pasta/wheat-elbows and you’re in business. Don’t forget cumin!

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I suppose you could drain some of the grease, but it definitely enriches the flavor.[/quote]

I was under the impression that a lb of ground beef had almost 100 grams of protein.

Regardless, mixing ground beef, rice, and various vegetables in a bowl is one of my favorite post-workout meals.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[/quote]

That is why a spice rack is your best friend. I can eat chicken all day everyday as long as I have my spice rack to change up the flavor of each meal.[/quote]

I just found out that if you get sme fresh herbs and garlic, and let them fry in the butter for a few minutes before adding your beef, it takes it to another level of delicious.

Well i had different expriences with my progress so far, i never really counted protein i just based my eating on the calorie part i try to supass 3200 calories every day (im 17,ectomorph) and basically the only time i ever counted protein and carbs was the first month when i stared (im 6 months into training now) and my progress is tremendous. i eat everything i can because im not so rich that i can keep a diet for my self nor i can cook so i think you just need to eat a lot and you will advance :smiley:

The biggest revelation for me was when I started to buy and eat food based on it’s nutritional value rather than taste and price. Go for that and you can’t go wrong. Also good advice regarding protein intake. 0.5g per lb of bodyweight is fine if you work in IT and don’t do any exercise whatsoever. For hard trainers, 1g would be an absolute minimum with 1.5 - 2 being preferrable.