Tips For Eating?

I recently thought I’d give TC’s new diet a try, The Time Restricted Plus Diet. After a week and a half of sticking to it, I’m finding it exhausting and nauseating to fit that much food into a 9 hour period. First off, should I even be trying this with ~20% BF or should I just stick to clean eating only until I’m a little lighter?

Second, if this plan IS recommended, any tips on eating 3000 calories in what seems like such a small amount of time? Foods that won’t make me feel full but still fall within normal healthy eating guidelines? By 3pm (my cutoff time) I’m usually feeling like I’m about to explode. I’m just looking for tips on avoiding feeling like trash.

Here’s a normal day:
4AM, wake up, dress, pre workout
By 445 I’m at the gym. I usually finish my workout between 530-545 depending on upper/lower day.
6AM I have a protein bar, shower, 645 I have a shake then I go to work. I have another shake at 730 then the eating starts at 9, my first break. I usually have chocolate protein oats and a chicken breast or some eggs, depending.

At 1030, 12, 1 and then 3, I eat. Anything from steak and vegetables to a protein shake with peanut butter, to rice with vegetables mixed in, maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich here and there, usually earlier in the day so I can convince myself it’s still the post workout period (just being honest). I pretty much pick foods that add up to my macros for the day, then I take it all and I have at it, picking what I feel like eating at the time. I consider the timer started at 6 when I have the protein bar.

God man, if you’re 20% bodyfat you do not need to be that meticulous about your timing to make progress. Just cleaning up your diet and making smarter food choices in a way that is sustainable and that you’ll stick with should be sufficient. And do some cardio. The foods you listed look fine (could use some vegetables imo), but you probably sure as hell didn’t get to 20% bodyfat eating that way.

I started about a year and a half ago weighing around 70lbs heavier than I am now. 20% is just an estimate based on how I look. I started weight training a little under a year ago. Started really caring about my diet around the same time but it’s fluctuated. About two months ago I really found a balance that I can tolerate and have stuck with it, seeing a very noticeable difference in just a month. Now after seeing this I didn’t think it’d impact me that much and might jump start some accelerated fat loss.

Thank you for the response, as you can see from my first question, I guessed this would be the answer. I need to stop fluctuating in my diet and it seems I’ve found a way not to. So I will keep doing what I’m doing without TC s diet.

For the record though, the timing is only beverage that’s when I have the downtime at work to hit up the break room xD so it stays steady every weekday. I’m not like sitting there with a stopwatch, those are the most common times it works out too. It may fluctuate depending on work load though.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
God man, if you’re 20% bodyfat you do not need to be that meticulous about your timing to make progress. Just cleaning up your diet and making smarter food choices in a way that is sustainable and that you’ll stick with should be sufficient. And do some cardio. The foods you listed look fine (could use some vegetables imo), but you probably sure as hell didn’t get to 20% bodyfat eating that way. [/quote]

This. You will get great results if you stick with this advice. Employ more advanced diet techniques later(when you are more advanced).

[quote]jgreene wrote:
I recently thought I’d give TC’s new diet a try, The Time Restricted Plus Diet.[/quote]
Did you successfully complete the V-Diet you talked about doing last year?

Is your profile info current/accurate? 6’2", 218 pounds, bodyfat “no clue, probably over 30%”?

3,000 calories over 9 hours is not as difficult as you were making it. It’s about food choice and timing. Hell, worst comes to worst, hit Chipotle’s for lunch. Turns out the average order is over 1,000 calories:
http://greatideas.people.com/2015/02/18/chipotle-menu-items-calories-fat-unhealthy/

I agree with the guys, I think you should work on the basic-basics before trying (another) unique and specific method of eating. I suggest breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a shake when you lift. Call me crazy, but that’s just about as basic as it gets.

What’s your pre-workout? Is is just an energy boosting thing or is it peri-workout nutrition with protein and carbs?

I’m thinking two shakes within 45 minutes might be filling you up too much, too soon. The fiber in the oats soon after all that liquid probably isn’t helping either. I’d switch the bar and first shake, depending on what’s in the shake.

At your size, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are not an option. Insert Gunny Hartman quote from Full Metal Jacket.

If what you were doing previously was working, and the new method was giving you trouble, then yep, right call.

I never bought the V-Diet due to money issues, student loans, etc.

It is not accurate. Currently weigh in at 190-195 depending on when I weigh. Still unsure about bf percentage.

Pre workout is currently the black market pre workout with creatine (I think it’s their “bulk” type) mixed with protein roughly forty five minutes before I’m in the gym.

The second shake is usually just protein, sometimes protein and peanut butter.

No shitty foods no matter how I rationalize, got it.

I’ll stick to the normal schedule I was doing beforehand as per everyone’s advice. Thank you all for your input! Any idea on how I can get a better idea on body fat? Sans a full body scan? No one that works as a “trainer” at my gym even knows what calipers are, I’ve asked.

Also, on the oats comment, I believe that’s a big part of it because it’s the earlier meals I had trouble getting down. I never realized fiber filled you up so much I guess.

[quote]jgreene wrote:
Any idea on how I can get a better idea on body fat? Sans a full body scan? No one that works as a “trainer” at my gym even knows what calipers are, I’ve asked.
[/quote]

Doesn’t matter what your body fat is. Take pictures once or twice a month to assess your progress. This will be the true gauge of showing if you are on track or not.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]jgreene wrote:

At your size, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are not an option. Insert Gunny Hartman quote from Full Metal Jacket.
[/quote]

I disagree here. PB&J is fine in moderation; you can go with tuna sandwiches instead or some such thing, but honestly if it fits within your macros one thing like this isn’t going to kill you at this point. So many people get totally derailed because they stress out about majoring in the minors instead of making sure they hit their macro requirements and such.

Just focus on sticking to a reasonable plan for the next few weeks, not even worrying about nutrient timing or anything else that’s going to stress you out. The goal is for a diet to be a lifestyle–to be easy. If/when progress slows, then make tweaks where necessary, such as eliminating PB&Js if appropriate.

Also worth mentioning the importance of training hard/intensely: diet is indeed the arbitrary 70% of the equation, but if you’re not getting stronger or past the beginner stage of strength levels, then you can only expect diet to do so much for you.

I pretty much wasted the first few months of my weight training, not gonna lie. Which is funny because when I trained at home I was focused on steady progression. I guess the appeal of moving weight finally messed with my goals… anyway… I’ve been progressing pretty steadily the last six months on big lifts. Overhead press, bench, trap bar dead squat and weighted carries are my staples and I’ve gone up substantially since I started actually progressing with 5x5 and 4x8. I’m not past the beginner stage in my opinion but I really feel like I’ll get there in what will seem like no time. I’ve definitely made lifting part of my life, it’s the diet I’ve struggled with. But apart from that stretch I think I’ve found the balance I need to maintain a great diet and I’m gonna stick with it.

As for the sandwiches… maybe do just peanut butter? A middle ground that still makes the fatass inside me happy? For the record I usually have around 4 a week.

[quote]jgreene wrote:
As for the sandwiches… maybe do just peanut butter? A middle ground that still makes the fatass inside me happy? For the record I usually have around 4 a week. [/quote]

100% whole wheat bread (or Ezekial if you can stand it), natural peanut butter and sugar free jelly makes a pretty nutritious snack. Just avoid Goober Grape on Wonderbread, no matter how delicious it is :slight_smile:

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
PB&J is fine in moderation[/quote]
For some people some of the time, sure. For a fat guy trying to lose fat, dropping PB&J sandwiches is a no-brainer. It’s calorie-dense and relatively-high sugar and fat. Those are three strikes for anything when it comes to designing a basic fat loss plan.

I wouldn’t compare a tuna sandwich to PB&J. Kinda like comparing beef jerky to a Snickers bar. Tuna’s at least giving you 15ish grams of animal protein.

IIFYM is a very slippery slope when we’re dealing with someone who still needs major fat loss and who hasn’t consistently implemented basic nutrition principles.

Definitely agree about the importance of seeing this as a lifestyle. But it only becomes “easy” when it becomes habit. And it (should) only become habit when it’s a useful/efficient/effective part of the bigger plan that gets you closer to your goal.

It’s “easy” to eat whatever/whenever and accept it as fine as long as it pretty much fits the day’s macros, but that’s not in line with the dude’s current fat loss goal.

[quote]jgreene wrote:
Pre workout is currently the black market pre workout with creatine (I think it’s their “bulk” type)[/quote]
If it’s the “Adrenolyn Bulk” thing I saw online, it’s overpriced crap. 300mg caffeine, some creatine, enough beta-alanine to make you tingle, and some other “Test boosters”. You’d be better with a quality protein/carb shake and maybe a No-Doz.

Basically, yep. Dan John calls it “eating like a grown-up.” I like that idea. You don’t have to eat like a pre-contest bodybuilder with plain oatmeal, boiled chicken, and raw broccoli, but you do have to put the effort into your nutrition just like you put effort under the bar in the gym.

I like this plan as a step by step guide to setting things up:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/28_days_14_missions_1_ripped_physique

First, those so-called-“trainers” make me sad. Geez. Second, like Ripsaw said, it doesn’t really matter what your actual percentage number is. Base progress on photos, how clothes fit, how you’re doing in the gym, and a semi-regular weigh-in.

Sigh.

Fat loss doesn’t happen when you care about making your inner fatass happy. Again, you don’t have to eat like a pre-contest bodybuilder, but, dude, we just went over this…

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]jgreene wrote:
Pre workout is currently the black market pre workout with creatine (I think it’s their “bulk” type)[/quote]
If it’s the “Adrenolyn Bulk” thing I saw online, it’s overpriced crap. 300mg caffeine, some creatine, enough beta-alanine to make you tingle, and some other “Test boosters”. You’d be better with a quality protein/carb shake and maybe a No-Doz.

Basically, yep. Dan John calls it “eating like a grown-up.” I like that idea. You don’t have to eat like a pre-contest bodybuilder with plain oatmeal, boiled chicken, and raw broccoli, but you do have to put the effort into your nutrition just like you put effort under the bar in the gym.

I like this plan as a step by step guide to setting things up:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/28_days_14_missions_1_ripped_physique

First, those so-called-“trainers” make me sad. Geez. Second, like Ripsaw said, it doesn’t really matter what your actual percentage number is. Base progress on photos, how clothes fit, how you’re doing in the gym, and a semi-regular weigh-in.

Sigh.

Fat loss doesn’t happen when you care about making your inner fatass happy. Again, you don’t have to eat like a pre-contest bodybuilder, but, dude, we just went over this…

[/quote]
Man… I gotta watch that movie again!

Well I’ve gone from an extra large to a medium regular shirt size, a 42 waist to a 34, nearing 32, and I’m not afraid to take my shirt off anymore. That’s definitely progress and I’ve never known my body fat percentage. So I’m with you there.

And goodbye sandwiches. I actually spent my Sunday afternoon cleaning out the kitchen before cooking for the week. There’s no jelly in the house and the bread isn’t for me anymore. I took pics this morning pre workout in the bathroom at the gym. I’ll take them every Monday from now on. I used to do this steadily but got out of the habit and it is kind of hard to really see how much progress I’ve had just from memory, especially since I’m biased towards the negative.

What do you think of the Animal Pak pre workout? I can get it for 35 bucks. I used to only use it but I think I became more sensitive to niacin. I’m pretty uneducated when it comes to pre workouts other than just knowing protein+ carbs+ energy. I’ll educate myself.

Thanks guys.

Also, side question, are those microwave steamer bags of frozen vegetables good or should I stick to boiling/stir frying?

[quote]jgreene wrote:
Well I’ve gone from an extra large to a medium regular shirt size, a 42 waist to a 34, nearing 32, and I’m not afraid to take my shirt off anymore. That’s definitely progress and I’ve never known my body fat percentage. So I’m with you there.[/quote]
Good stuff. Dropping 70 pounds will do that. Keep it going with a good plan.

Not sure which particular formula you’re looking at (Rage or Pump or whatever), but a lot of their stuff is kitchen sink-style. Lots and lots of ingredients which means low, debatably-ineffective doses of each thing.

I get that you’re training at crazy-early o’clock in the morning, but if you’re using a “pre-workout” mostly for an energy boost/eye-openeer, the more basic, the better. A straight caffeine tab and maybe some tyrosine is fine or an energy drink like a Spike should work too. Things like beta-alanine or creatine monohydrate can also help performance, but aren’t totally mandatory.

If the time comes, after your training and diet are back in place and rolling on track again, that you wanted to add a good fat burner, pre-workout would be the time to use it.

This would be some good info to start with:

Having a quality protein-carb shake right before and during training might be the easy fix. Surge Recovery is a good, basic shake.

They’re definitely better than not having veggies at all, but I do recommend avoiding steamer bags and similar items like boil-in-a-bag rice due to the xenoestrogenic effects. Basically, heating plastics and plastic-like materials can let estrogen mimickers leach into the food. No bueno.

It might work out easier to cook fresh or frozen veggies in a bigass batch once or twice a week (with whatever method - boil, roast, steam or whatever) and leave a bucket in the fridge to attack during the week.

Instead of steamer bag veggies:

1. just buy the regular bag of frozen veggies
  2. put them in a bowl (will have to be fairly big)
  3. put a couple tablespoons of water in
  4. put a plate/cover on the bowl
  5. microwave for 3.5 minutes
  6. stir
  7. microwave for 3.5 minutes
  8. eat

They come out steamed. By buying the non-steamable bags of veggies you can actually buy more veggies for less money (I think like 2 more ounces for like 30 cents cheaper per bag at Wal-Mart near me).

Today marks a full week of staying exactly on course. I ran out of the black market pre workout so I picked up a four pack of spike and drank that with a protein shake. It works just as well but I get a little crash at about 12. Not really an issue though, I usually have a cup of coffee. I’ve also started sipping a shake during training.

I tried the microwave thing and after some adjusting (I have a pretty old microwave) it works surprisingly well. I’m usually skeptical of microwave shortcuts but I’ll use this if I find myself strapped for time in the future. Thank you!

I feel really great about not indulging my fatass this week. I think I need to take away a few things from my training program though, I might be experiencing some burnout. I’m gonna take this weekend off and eat at roughly maintenance level then see where I’m at Monday and how I feel.

I’m thinking about adding fasted walks on non training days, but at the moment I don’t have access to pre digested proteins, so should I hold off?