Tips for Arms Specialization?

[quote]TommyGunz32 wrote:
I think the increased frequency is a good starting point. Make sure you take care of your elbows. [/quote]

I do too but only to a point. I did some Chad Waterbury bullshit where you do a set of curls and tricep extensions to failure every night to bring my arms up. My elbows were fucked by around the 10th day of this 30 day program. It was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

I think the increased frequency is a good starting point. Make sure you take care of your elbows. [/quote]

I do too but only to a point. I did some Chad Waterbury bullshit where you do a set of curls and tricep extensions to failure every night to bring my arms up. My elbows were fucked by around the 10th day of this 30 day program. It was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done.[/quote]

I did a set of curls every night for almost 6 weeks, didn’t bother me none. I can definitely imagine I would run into problems if I tried the same thing with an extension movement though.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Make sure you take care of your elbows. [/quote]

For the love of christ this.

I though I was “man-ing up” for the longest time. Yeah my tri’s grew, but at the expense that I can barely hit them now without discomfort for days…

Don’t fuck around with your elbows. If you get pain, address it right away. Don’t be dumb… [/quote]

I cringe when I look back at the heavy ass skull crushers I used to do, I wish someone at my gym would have one punched me.

It takes IcyHot, an elbow sleeve and a hooded sweatshirt for me to be able to train tris and still really can’t go heavy. Overhead movements seem to really bother it.

Do you guys think people are just predisposed to elbow problems? Or abuse/overuse? It seems like some people can do anything and it won’t hurt their elbows in the slightest.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Make sure you take care of your elbows. [/quote]

For the love of christ this.

I though I was “man-ing up” for the longest time. Yeah my tri’s grew, but at the expense that I can barely hit them now without discomfort for days…

Don’t fuck around with your elbows. If you get pain, address it right away. Don’t be dumb… [/quote]

Injury prevention was my whole point in that zercher thread. The average guy really pushing at this for more than ten years is going to have some kind of injury even if it is minor.

That is why for those who are interested in functioning at 40 as well as they did at 20, avoiding completely unnecessary risks would be wise…and does not mean you aren’t training your ass off.

I know the strength level some of you are at and it is above what is average…and anyone who plans on taking it even further can’t train like someone who doesn’t think ahead.

My personal list is; avoid:
-lying French presses (triceps extensions with the z bar)

-low behind the neck shoulder presses

-excessive flexion of the knee during leg extensions (I personally don’t allow my legs to go all of the way under the seat)

-any exercise that will unnecessarily strain the area around the biceps considering how heavy I go for them…(for instance, I stopped doing dumbbell side laterals with excess of 50lbs because it also stressed that area and caused my recovery to be extended for biceps).

Most people don’t think ahead. Most people laugh it off until they get injured.

Considering the board reaction…I am guessing we will see many more injuries in the future if the notion is actually laughed at.

Injury? Bro I’m 22 years old, I’m fuckin invincible

[quote]Professor X wrote:
-excessive flexion of the knee during leg extensions (I personally don’t allow my legs to go all of the way under the seat)
[/quote]

x2. i never let my legs go beyond 45 degrees and they feel infinitely better

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
My personal list is; avoid:
-lying French presses (triceps extensions with the z bar)

[/quote]
Interesting. So what are your staple triceps exercises if you don’t mind me asking?

BBB[/quote]

Lately, I train triceps twice a week…one of those is just whatever doesn’t make my elbows hurt…like triceps pressdowns, kickbacks. The other day, I train with chest and do hammer strength dips, extensions directly along with their assistance in decline presses and the rest of my chest work.

Without the dip machine (before I found a gym with one), my triceps development fell off completely because my elbows hurt when doing certain movements and even going heavy on those was causing pain with no previous injury at all. Overhead triceps extensions cause the most pain for me.

I think when we discuss things like this, it is very important to note the range of weights being used…something we normally can’t discuss without being challenged on every weight we claim to lift.

This is likely of little concern to the guy who can only press a 25 on each side for overhead presses.