Tips Adjusting to Squat Shoes?

You know what I do when I’m pulling heavy singles or hard sets for reps, I put liquid chalk on my thumbnail. My grip started to slip a couple times when I was doing heavy rep sets, I think they were sets of 5, my hands were sweating too much and it seemed like sweat was squeezing out on every rep. I never actually dropped the bar, but when you’re struggling to hold on it’s hard to actually pull and seems to inhibit other muscles. Anyway, I had a bottle of liquid chalk laying around from when I used to train in a commercial gym and I gave it a shot, haven’t had grip issues since.

What I mean about cutting your thumbs to fit the glove is that you should be using whatever equipment because it will benefit your technique, leverages, etc. It makes no sense to buy something and then make your body conform to it. When I first used heeled shoes I had an instant increase in weight on my squat.

You could keep the shoes to do high bar squats, SSB squats, front squat, etc. to build up your quads. The heel will force your knee forward and put more strain on your quads.

No matter how you squat you want the weight evenly distributed throughout your foot, this “push through the heels” thing comes from equipped lifting and reduces quad activation. It might work for some people who have a tendency to push through the balls of their feet but it’s not what you actually want to do.

1 Like

Dont ever speak his name again. Haunts my dreams.

1 Like

I’m gonna try this and see if it works. Don’t want to try to completely overhaul my squat to fit the shoes

1 Like

Give em a way that’s what I would do lol

Do this. Low bar with flat, high bar with heels.