Tipping - Good Idea or Bad Idea

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

[quote]parsley wrote:
Some waiters get paid pretty shitty, so i always tip at a restaurant especially because my friends are assholes and will leave change as tips anyway.

Just move the decimal over to the left one place, thats 10%, double that for 20% add 1/2 of the 10% for 15%. [/quote]

SEE!!! that is the problem. I realize they get paid less and get taxed on my bill. Just pay them more and eliminate the 8% tax and I would like it so much more.

[/quote]

Yeah but like dnl said before, you can decide what to tip your server, if at all, based on their performance. So looking at it from a managerial stand point aren’t tips good because the staff may be more motivated to cater to the customer as best they can and as dnl said “bend over backwards” for the customer?

Petedacook made good points in the last thread (I’m sure others did, as well, but I skimmed). Service and business would probably suffer if the staff wasn’t forced to bust ass for their paychecks.

Compared to many of the percentages posted in the last thread, I tip a fairly obscene amount. I payed many of my early college expenses delivering pizzas and doing miscellaneous bitch work so I know how it is to get shafted on your income while working a shit job. I will tip quite well for most anything short of spitting on my food in front of me… but then, I’m about as ‘low maintenance’ a customer as you can reasonably be expected to find, so it’s not difficult to keep my happy. I’ll tip the grumpy old lady the same amount I tip the hottie who pretends to find me attractive and hilarious.

I also don’t eat out very often and wouldn’t bother going to a sit-down restaurant if I knew I was going to be fucking over my server… but then, I have a soul. I also lose respect for people I eat out with who make excuses to be stingy when it comes time to show some appreciation.

I’m really not a fan of tipping a percentage of the meal cost. Waitresses at shitty little diners with inexpensive food can work as hard if not harder than waitresses at more expensive eateries, so I don’t quite think it’s fair that they aren’t tipped as well as a result. In any case, my upper limit for tipping waitstaff is usually around $5. To me, it seems fair considering what has been done for me.

[quote]parsley wrote:

[quote]parsley wrote:
Some waiters get paid pretty shitty, so i always tip at a restaurant especially because my friends are assholes and will leave change as tips anyway.

Just move the decimal over to the left one place, thats 10%, double that for 20% add 1/2 of the 10% for 15%. [/quote]

SEE!!! that is the problem. I realize they get paid less and get taxed on my bill. Just pay them more and eliminate the 8% tax and I would like it so much more.

[/quote]

Yeah but like dnl said before, you can decide what to tip your server, if at all, based on their performance. So looking at it from a managerial stand point aren’t tips good because the staff may be more motivated to cater to the customer as best they can and as dnl said “bend over backwards” for the customer?[/quote]

Sure, but as a manager once told me, “It’s your job to do a good job, if you don’t, find a new job.”

I heard a guy on the radio compare it to when he went to Ace Hardware and the guy there helped him solve all his questions to a sprinkler problem. Now that guy definitely deserved a tip, but … no tip jar. Just a good guy doing a good job for his paycheck.

sorry double post!

In regards to the article, what do you think of a restaurant adding a tip to foreign guests as tipping is not customary in some parts of the world?

Tipping is optional. Is this discriminatory or is the restaurant just looking out for the wait staff that will have to make up the difference of the 8% out of their own pocket?

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
I’m really not a fan of tipping a percentage of the meal cost. Waitresses at shitty little diners with inexpensive food can work as hard if not harder than waitresses at more expensive eateries, so I don’t quite think it’s fair that they aren’t tipped as well as a result. In any case, my upper limit for tipping waitstaff is usually around $5. To me, it seems fair considering what has been done for me.

[/quote]

Yes. The smaller restaurants are typically harder to work because you don’t have as many people helping. Big restaurants have enough people to do all the small jobs and makes the servers life much easier. So, if you’re gonna serve, serve at a place that’s expensive.

I always tip 15% regardless. I tip 20% if I get above average service at a random restaurant. I tip 25% or more at restaurants and bars that I go to regularly. At these venues, I know most of the staff, the owner, the manager, bartenders, etc… and as a result they bend over backwards for me: I never wait for a table, the owner/manager always stops by my table to greet my guests, I get comped food (usually just an appetizer or desert, but I’ve had whole meals comped before) and I pay for about HALF of my drinks (or less). Shit at one place, the band usually calls me up and has me sing a song with them! Needless to say, it makes a positive impression on both client and dates, and if you add up all the free drink and food, I’s say I end up ahead…

Of course, I have an extremely outgoing personality, and my devilish good looks and charm plays a big part :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

LOL

There’s the theory and then there’s the application of tipping…

I think servers should be paid a living wage and be compensated for their hard work with a salary rather than customers–in theory.

But as long as the tipping system is in place it will only hurt servers (or justify me being a cheapskate :P) if I withhold a tip. So I always tip.

[quote]parsley wrote:

[quote]parsley wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah but like dnl said before, you can decide what to tip your server, if at all, based on their performance. So looking at it from a managerial stand point aren’t tips good because the staff may be more motivated to cater to the customer as best they can and as dnl said “bend over backwards” for the customer?[/quote]

Sure, but as a manager once told me, “It’s your job to do a good job, if you don’t, find a new job.”

I heard a guy on the radio compare it to when he went to Ace Hardware and the guy there helped him solve all his questions to a sprinkler problem. Now that guy definitely deserved a tip, but … no tip jar. Just a good guy doing a good job for his paycheck.

[/quote]

I see your point, but I do still support tipping and feel we should have the personal freedom to decide how much to tip them.

Do you folks tip the bartender after every drink?

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:
I’m real sure that I’d be tipping this girl.[/quote]

With your penis.

Rimshot

Thank you, I’ll be here all week.[/quote]

So the size of the tip really would depend on the service provided by the wait staff[/quote]

My joke was better. Less reading was involved.

If tipping is optional, and it is, what do you do if you have really bad service? Do you still leave a tip? At least the 8%?

[/quote]

Always…and if they’re really good, I give them the whole thing.

(that’s a good joke Wolly)

[/quote]

Yes. …unless i’m running a tab.

I’ll tip a little more if i’m at a crowded bar. Bartenders/waitresses tend to take care of you better if you tip decently.

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[/quote]

Always…and if they’re really good, I give them the whole thing.

(that’s a good joke Wolly)[/quote]

whether they want it or not depending on how many drinks right? =)

If tipping is optional, and it is, what do you do if you have really bad service? Do you still leave a tip? At least the 8%?[/quote]

Depends on what the ‘bad service’ is.

If the waiter informs me that the potatoes I just ate were mashed as a result of him banging my date on my meal before bringing it out for me, then I’d probably not tip.

If my server is grumpy I chalk it up to them having a shitty job that involves dealing with assholes for hours on end and would still tip a solid amount.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Yes. …unless i’m running a tab.

I’ll tip a little more if i’m at a crowded bar. Bartenders/waitresses tend to take care of you better if you tip decently.
[/quote]

Good point. I know we’ve dropped a $50 just to keep a waitress really attentive to our table.

If tipping is optional, and it is, what do you do if you have really bad service? Do you still leave a tip? At least the 8%?

[/quote]

No, and anyone who tips for bad service is an idiot. I’ve left no tip in rare instances where a server decided not to hide their misery.

[quote]parsley wrote:

[/quote]

You have never worked in the restaurant business before have you. Serving/bartending/barbacking is a DIFFCULT job. They get paid below minimum wage. So when you don’t tip you are saying your job is worth less than 9 dollars an HOUR. That simply isn’t true. “Restauranting” is definitely worth at least 20 dollars an hour if not 30 or more.

In North America it is implicit in the bill that you will add 15% if you are happy with the service. To raise the amount paid to server the owner of a restaurant would either need to cut into his bottom line or raise the price of food significantly. It is a inefficiency and waste added to a system built on simplicity to overcome the greed and stinginess of rude customers.

You really should not go out if you cannot afford to tip a server or bartender. I’ll generally tip 20%+ per service, even if the service is poor, unless I can determine the fault lies not in the situation, the infastructure, or the kitchen but out of pure negligence. Then I’ll still tip 10%.

[quote]debraD wrote:
There’s the theory and then there’s the application of tipping…

I think servers should be paid a living wage and be compensated for their hard work with a salary rather than customers–in theory.

But as long as the tipping system is in place it will only hurt servers (or justify me being a cheapskate :P) if I withhold a tip. So I always tip.[/quote]

That is my feeling about it. I would prefer a better wage and no tip, but I will go along with the current system.

But this really must benefit wait staff or they really would have raised such a ruckus so that the system would change.