T Nation

Tip Of The Day

I’m not bashing Christian AT ALL, but I thought that after an 8 hour fast, the body is in a huge catabolic state (like after working out). Wouldn’t sugar/wheat mix (like Frosted Mini Wheats)for carbs be the better choice instead of just a slow releasing carb (to replenish glycogen)? I guess there is two sides to everything, so just curious what everyone else thought.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
I’m not bashing Christian AT ALL, but I thought that after an 8 hour fast, the body is in a huge catabolic state (like after working out). Wouldn’t sugar/wheat mix (like Frosted Mini Wheats)for carbs be the better choice instead of just a slow releasing carb (to replenish glycogen)? I guess there is two sides to everything, so just curious what everyone else thought. [/quote]

Glycogen stores are not depleted after 8 hours of sleep. That is why you have the hormone glucagon working in your favor to prevent that. The goal is to get your body back on track as soon as possible so that it won’t continue to find alternate sources of energy which could largely come from muscle tissue protein. This is why a fast acting sugar is not necessary. My meals are largely protein and fat first thing in the morning when gaining (eggs and sometimes pancakes). Know the basics, but don’t get so caught up in minute details that you can’t make decisions on your own.

…and just to make it clear, your liver stores glycogen as well and this is largely what supplies your body’s needs during a short term fast. Your mscles and liver are the storage ports for glycogen.

Thanks X :slight_smile:

Just to add onto what Prof X said. The only glycogen stores that get depleted during sleep are you liver stores. I’ve attached a graph that shows just that. Ignore the rest of the graph because it is of a person eating only 3 meals a day. The lack of insulin secretions during the night allow for lipolysis to occur and fuel the body’s limited needs. Muscle and other metabolic tissue would much perfer fat as a fuel to amino acids (except the liver - that likes aminos). Muscle Catabolism during the night isn’t a real concern for the body. If you are in a rigorous muscle building cycle/routine then you really only need to worry about the lack of anabolism that is occuring when your late night Low-Carb Grow! gets all used up.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Glycogen stores are not depleted after 8 hours of sleep. That is why you have the hormone glucagon working in your favor to prevent that. [/quote] I agree with everything Professor X wrote except the part about glucagon working to keep glycogen stores from depleting. Glucagon doesn’t do this - it cause the breakdown of glycogen. Insulin preserves glycogen.

ANYWAY, sugar or fast acting carbs DO NOT increase glycogen stores! THey increase bodyfat! Only post workout can high GI carbs be beneficial and enter the muscles. Other times it will just increase insulin and the carbs will store as fat. Slow release carbs are always better (except post workout) for refilling carb stores.

THAT SAID, your muscles are not depleted after a night’s sleep. Your liver’s glycogen is somewhat depleted, but not your muscle stores.

[quote]greatgro wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Glycogen stores are not depleted after 8 hours of sleep. That is why you have the hormone glucagon working in your favor to prevent that. I agree with everything Professor X wrote except the part about glucagon working to keep glycogen stores from depleting. Glucagon doesn’t do this - it cause the breakdown of glycogen. Insulin preserves glycogen.[/quote]

I was referring to MUSCLE glycogen which was why I added the second post to make that clear.

[quote]greatgro wrote:
ANYWAY, sugar or fast acting carbs DO NOT increase glycogen stores! THey increase bodyfat! Only post workout can high GI carbs be beneficial and enter the muscles. Other times it will just increase insulin and the carbs will store as fat. Slow release carbs are always better (except post workout) for refilling carb stores.

[/quote]

Also, this is not true. Too much depends on metabolism and overall food intake to make the claim that all fast acting sugars get deposited as body fat. I used faster acting sugars along with protein intake in collge because I know that the insulin spike would send more nutrients into storage. How much fat you gain is COMPLETELY dependant on your genetics, metabolism, activity level, and overall daily food intake. Someone lied to you.