Timing Rest Periods

How do you time your rest periods?

Whenever I manage to time my rest periods and stick to a strict protocol, it really helps to kick things along, and give me a good training session. But I suck at managing to do it.

When I’ve just finished a set, resetting and starting the stop-watch is generally the last thing on my mind. When I’m “busy” recovering, I forget to watch the stop-watch…

If I’m in a busy gym, subconsciously I think I must watch other people’s rest periods - if theirs begin after mine, and end before mine, then it might be time to do another set… But now I’m training at home, so I have no one else to watch, subconsciously or otherwise.

Does anyone have a good strategy for this?

I workout in the middle of the night (2am) so what I do may not be possible for you…

After finishing a set I walk all the way around the weightroom and back to wherever I’m working at…keeps my rest intervals the same and I don’t have to stare at a clock.

I’ve been wearing a stopwatch for years to time my rest between sets. It’s become a habit even when I’m not really focusing on rest between sets.

I’d say to try to develop betting habits about using your stopwatch. You’ll find after a while that you’ll start to get a feel for the amount of time without even having to look at the stopwatch.

I am not bad at counting seconds in my head.

Also my gym has a lot of clocks, and so it’s a habit to glance at the second hand on completing a set.

If resting multiple minutes, I make a point of noticing when the 1 minute mark has passed, the 2 minute mark, etc so as to not lose track.

This week I have been working with a trainer(for the first time ever) He let me rest long enough to take a swig of water…

Before that, I just used my watch…apparently I’ve been resting too long, cause my endurance sucks ass…

yep…digital timer. it beeps when your rest interval is over.

My gym has digital clocks on the walls with second timers and I use them.

You could count in your head…

Works great for resistance training or HIIT sessions.

I just do the next set when I feel right… don’t even look at the clock.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I just do the next set when I feel right… don’t even look at the clock.[/quote]

How old-fashioned of you.
Don’t you know that timing your rest periods will finally make you huge/shredded/insert-goal-here ?

Believe me, it’s the secret…

:wink:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Tumbles wrote:
I just do the next set when I feel right… don’t even look at the clock.

How old-fashioned of you.
Don’t you know that timing your rest periods will finally make you huge/shredded/insert-goal-here ?

Believe me, it’s the secret…

:wink:
[/quote]

So that’s the missing link all these months… :slight_smile:

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I just do the next set when I feel right… don’t even look at the clock.[/quote]

x2. I’ll sometimes look at the clock to make sure I’m not resting too long

check the iPod to see where I’m at in the song, and where I need to be to start the next set

[quote]doc_man_101 wrote:
How do you time your rest periods?

Whenever I manage to time my rest periods and stick to a strict protocol, it really helps to kick things along, and give me a good training session. But I suck at managing to do it.

When I’ve just finished a set, resetting and starting the stop-watch is generally the last thing on my mind. When I’m “busy” recovering, I forget to watch the stop-watch…

If I’m in a busy gym, subconsciously I think I must watch other people’s rest periods - if theirs begin after mine, and end before mine, then it might be time to do another set… But now I’m training at home, so I have no one else to watch, subconsciously or otherwise.

Does anyone have a good strategy for this?[/quote]

I just try to superset everything.I tend to want to rest LESS when I do this.

when i feel ready, i lift

An alternate approach if you don’t want to hit a button: just start every set on a two-minute boundary. Start set one at 4:02. When the clock reads 4:04, start set two, etc. Most sets take about thirty seconds to complete, so that will give you ninety seconds of rest between sets.

Unfortunately, if you need to go at a faster pace, this method doesn’t work so well.