T Nation

Timing of Pre-Workout Shake

Hello,

I’ve recently read CW’s recommendations for consuming a pre-workout shake, but do not know the appropriate time this should be consumed prior to the workout.

Should it be taken immediately before exercising, or 15-30 minutes before, etc.?
Thanks,

It really depends on what you’re taking and why you’re taking it, among other things.

The idea is to generate an insulin spike during training to stimulate blood flow. With that in mind, everything else should fall into place.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
It really depends on what you’re taking and why you’re taking it, among other things.

The idea is to generate an insulin spike during training to stimulate blood flow. With that in mind, everything else should fall into place.[/quote]

Paging Dr. Vague… Dr. Vague you have a telephone call on the white courtesy phone…

j/k =)

To the OP- I time mine based on how long I’ll be at the gym. If I know it’ll be a quickie I try to shoot for 20 minutes prior. If it’s a longer session I’ll drink something, or eat something, right before. Like Barr said you’re shooting for an insulin spike to occur and if you drink something too soon and work out too long you’ll get the infamous crash. If you wait until the last minute and then only train for 20 min you may not be helping yourself.

Sorry for not clarifying my pre -workout shake.
at present, it’s two 70cc scoops of protein, about 1/4 scoop of malto (my body does not tolerate a lot of carbs), plus creatine and glutamine.

Would the composition of my pre-workout shake change the appropriate time of consumption?

Thanks again for the feedback.

yes, as you do not have the same formula, the insulin spike you can get with yours is much less. you can probably sip on it during your workout and be fine. although you should try a couple of different consumption patterns. after a few workouts with each, you will know which one is the best for you.

this is what works for me to avoid the crash:

for longer workouts, i have had to make two drinks, the first is 31g or Surge mix (1/3 serving) with half a scoop of whey and 7.5g of BCAA (i use xtend for workout mixes, Biotest BCAA pills for during the day). i start drinking this before my warm up and finish it halfway through the workout.

the second drink is like the first, but with twice the Surge (62g) and half a serving of greens+.

post workout i sip another shake like the second one, but with a full serving of greens+, 5g of creatine and eat a banana. i am eating a real meal within an hour of finishing the workout.

totals:

Surge: 5/3 servings
whey: 1.5 scoops
BCAAs: 22.5g
greens+: 1.5 servings
creatine: 5g
banana: 1 (about 25g of carbs)

just read in CW book for fat loss consume whey protien pre workout and after workout, no carbs ?? at 6’4 210 i’m not fat but have some around my chest and waist that i’d like to get rid of. does that mean no Surge? when would i eat carbs if not after a workout? more i read the more confused i get–help–!
thx
Mike

If your priority is fat loss, so much so that the loss of [a little] muscle is acceptable, then no CHO’s is ideal. Many people try to add/maintain muscle while losing fat, which would call for CHO’s preWO.

Most of my clients prefer the former.

[quote]mike59 wrote:
just read in CW book for fat loss consume whey protien pre workout and after workout, no carbs ?? at 6’4 210 i’m not fat but have some around my chest and waist that i’d like to get rid of. does that mean no Surge? when would i eat carbs if not after a workout? more i read the more confused i get–help–!
thx
Mike[/quote]

HI Dave LOL

My 2 cc after Dave drummed it in my head a few years bacjk to do this is take the shake as close to your training as you can stomach. for me I have an iron stomach and could eat a whole chicken and go pull heavy DL’s so I have it just prior. some may need a few minutes. try it and find how early prior you can ingest the shake.

Phill