T Nation

Time Under Tension vs. Pausing for Reps


#1

@ CT:

Whats your take on the non layer assistance work, rear delt iso movements, barbell rows, tricep extensions, bicep curls.

Is muscle pump the prime objective here and no pause in between reps needed? Meaning a ryhthmic constant tension scheme the best regardless of the stretch reflex?


#2

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@ CT:

Whats your take on the non layer assistance work, rear delt iso movements, barbell rows, tricep extensions, bicep curls.

Is muscle pump the prime objective here and no pause in between reps needed? Meaning a ryhthmic constant tension scheme the best regardless of the stretch reflex? [/quote]

Actually isolation exercise can use several different techniques. I feel that for these movements, yes, pump is an objective. Not so much for the pump itself but for the fact that the pump indicates that many things are happening in the muscle that can be interesting to us… release of growth factors, transport of nutrients to the muscle, increase in intra-muscular pressure, starting some cell signaling pathways, etc.

So I will not say that one technique is better over another. Constant tension is good, because it creates an occlusion effect. But rest-pause reps or extended sets can also create a big pump.


#3

Would a 1001 pause at the top and bottom of the movement for let’s say a preacher bench bicep curl make any significant difference as opposed to quick turnarounds? I would think not much.


#4

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
Would a 1001 pause at the top and bottom of the movement for let’s say a preacher bench bicep curl make any significant difference as opposed to quick turnarounds? I would think not much.[/quote]

It depends… it could actually make it even more effective if during the pause you actively contract the muscle as hard as possible.


#5

@brandon. i’m doing bicep work in between sets on my press days. sometimes the bicep pump is a little difficult to obtain. so, i squeeze them real hard at the top,and try to keep squeezing through the whole motion, and that gets them going


#6

@ Dom:

Thats because you are a munchkin and sometimes munchkins have a hard time with pump.


#7

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@ Dom:

Thats because you are a munchkin and sometimes munchkins have a hard time with pump. [/quote]
what the heck is a munchkin?


#8

Wizard of Oz ring a bell? lol


#9

[quote]brandon76 wrote:

Wizard of Oz ring a bell? lol[/quote]
how did you find a picture of me?
you are a sick puppy. must be the west coast or something… :slight_smile:


#10

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@ Dom:

Thats because you are a munchkin and sometimes munchkins have a hard time with pump. [/quote]

Hey brandon nothing wrong with ground huggers,makes us low to the ground and FAST! haha…


#11

JP Snapper:

What the hell have you been up to? I heard you had some shoulder issues / surgery?

Yeah I mean I love gnomes, trolls and munchkins. Even the Canadians love them in the west and mid country…not sure about those French ones though. lol


#12

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
JP Snapper:

What the hell have you been up to? I heard you had some shoulder issues / surgery?

Yeah I mean I love gnomes, trolls and munchkins. Even the Canadians love them in the west and mid country…not sure about those French ones though. lol[/quote]

Haha thats some funny shit.Ya I’m a little over 2 months post surgery and have been cleared of all restrictions(lifting wise),so I’m on the comeback trail.I’m sore as hell and weak as a kitten I’ll tell ya but at least the lifting sessions are starting to feel productive again.I was gonna see if CT had any advice on a certain program to run for awhile,just to get my strength back up but man I want to get back to the layers ASAP.I’ve been chewing at the bit with all the new info and layers that he has come up with lately.Hope your training has been going well and thanks for your concern buddy.


#13

LOL. Good to know you’re back my Mich friend. As for me things are good, ready for the holidays, low stress and training hard. Lots of new changes with programs and such. Definitely have been focusing on the iron more so than combining the conditioning and Muay, with training this year. Less ADD and more focus.


#14

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
JP Snapper:

What the hell have you been up to? I heard you had some shoulder issues / surgery?

Yeah I mean I love gnomes, trolls and munchkins. Even the Canadians love them in the west and mid country…not sure about those French ones though. lol[/quote]

Haha thats some funny shit.Ya I’m a little over 2 months post surgery and have been cleared of all restrictions(lifting wise),so I’m on the comeback trail.I’m sore as hell and weak as a kitten I’ll tell ya but at least the lifting sessions are starting to feel productive again.I was gonna see if CT had any advice on a certain program to run for awhile,just to get my strength back up but man I want to get back to the layers ASAP.I’ve been chewing at the bit with all the new info and layers that he has come up with lately.Hope your training has been going well and thanks for your concern buddy. [/quote]

I posted something in another thread in response for Mutsanah who was in a similar situation… I’ll try to find it.


#15

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
JP Snapper:

What the hell have you been up to? I heard you had some shoulder issues / surgery?

Yeah I mean I love gnomes, trolls and munchkins. Even the Canadians love them in the west and mid country…not sure about those French ones though. lol[/quote]

Haha thats some funny shit.Ya I’m a little over 2 months post surgery and have been cleared of all restrictions(lifting wise),so I’m on the comeback trail.I’m sore as hell and weak as a kitten I’ll tell ya but at least the lifting sessions are starting to feel productive again.I was gonna see if CT had any advice on a certain program to run for awhile,just to get my strength back up but man I want to get back to the layers ASAP.I’ve been chewing at the bit with all the new info and layers that he has come up with lately.Hope your training has been going well and thanks for your concern buddy. [/quote]

I posted something in another thread in response for Mutsanah who was in a similar situation… I’ll try to find it.
[/quote]

CT I found it.(a clean slate).Yep that looks perfect and thank you for your response.I’ll hit this hard so I can get back to running the layers ASAP.Once again thanks jp.


#16

I think you guys are looking for this.

I find that the best way to regain lost strength is high frequency, submaximal work.

-Pick 4-5 lifts that cover the whole body

-Do 3-5 work sets of each, every day

  • Use a linear double progression:

Start by doing sets of 5 reps. Start with a light weight, well below what you can currently do for 5 reps.

Every day add 5-10lbs on each lift.

When you cannot add even 5lbs on a lift, shift to sets of 3 and keep increasing the load daily.

When you cannot add 5lbs on a lift for sets of 3, switch to sets of 1 and keep increasing the load daily.

When you cannot add weight for your sets of 1 for 3 consecutive days, switch to a more normal program.

NOTE: you only perform on rep number per workout…

For example you do 3 sets of 5 every day, adding 5-10lbs at every workout… you do all your work sets of one day with the same weight.

When you cannot go up in weight with sets of 5 in one workout, you switch to sets of 3. Keep adding weight every workout (doing all 3-5 sets in one workout with the same weight). When you cannot add weight for sets of 3, switch to sets of 1 and keep adding weight at every workout.


#17

[quote]sput79 wrote:
I think you guys are looking for this.

I find that the best way to regain lost strength is high frequency, submaximal work.

-Pick 4-5 lifts that cover the whole body

-Do 3-5 work sets of each, every day

  • Use a linear double progression:

Start by doing sets of 5 reps. Start with a light weight, well below what you can currently do for 5 reps.

Every day add 5-10lbs on each lift.

When you cannot add even 5lbs on a lift, shift to sets of 3 and keep increasing the load daily.

When you cannot add 5lbs on a lift for sets of 3, switch to sets of 1 and keep increasing the load daily.

When you cannot add weight for your sets of 1 for 3 consecutive days, switch to a more normal program.

NOTE: you only perform on rep number per workout…

For example you do 3 sets of 5 every day, adding 5-10lbs at every workout… you do all your work sets of one day with the same weight.

When you cannot go up in weight with sets of 5 in one workout, you switch to sets of 3. Keep adding weight every workout (doing all 3-5 sets in one workout with the same weight). When you cannot add weight for sets of 3, switch to sets of 1 and keep adding weight at every workout.

[/quote]

sput thats it,thanks buddy appreciate it.


#18

You’re welcome…I saw after I posted that you had already found it lol. Oh well.