T Nation

Time to Make Body Comp Changes

I am 35, almost 36, and haven’t excercised consistently for several years. I want to get back to training and make some body composition changes. I need to lose some bodyfat and put on some muscle. Any suggestions on a program to follow?

[quote]rmorris_72 wrote:
I am 35, almost 36, and haven’t excercised consistently for several years. I want to get back to training and make some body composition changes. I need to lose some bodyfat and put on some muscle. Any suggestions on a program to follow?[/quote]

Hello & welcome to the group!

I’m 46 and am about 9 months ahead of you in terms of starting to train. I was sedentary for the most part for 20 years and started exercising last August. I started with biking and added weight lifting in October. Right now I’m down 40 lbs from last August. I strongly recommend that you start with some kind of whole body workout supplemented by some kind of cardio-vascular activity. It doesn’t even matter what lifting program or cardio program you do - just get started!

At the same time start tracking everything you eat and what your calorie balance is. You cannot loose weight or make a body composition change without the proper nutrition. Keep reading this site and do some web searches on nutrition and calorie counting.

[quote]rmorris_72 wrote:
I am 35, almost 36, and haven’t excercised consistently for several years. I want to get back to training and make some body composition changes. I need to lose some bodyfat and put on some muscle. Any suggestions on a program to follow?[/quote]

That’s almost like going up to someone and asking them what you like to eat.

There are a ton of programs and most of them work for someone at some time.

The basics are easy. Find a routine that concentrates on free weights and big compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, dips, pullups, etc. Don’t do a lot of light dumbell work on small muscles that don’t mean anything.

Body composition is mostly a matter of diet. Again, there are a zillion different diets out there and you’ve got to find one that you believe in and that you like the food on. The basics are eat 5-6 small meals a day. Try to make each meal have some protein, carbs, and fat. Try to make your diet a lifestyle change that you’re going to follow for the rest of your life and not a bandaid that you’re just doing for a short time frame.

Pick up heavy things, set them back down. Eat. Rest. Repeat.

Try www.fitday.com. This site helped me a ton to get my eating in order. Has a good pulldown menu of foods and their macronutrients already listed. If you can’t find the food on the pulldown use the nutritional label on the product and create a manual entry. Very simple, very straightforward. Hope this helps. If you get stuck you can PM me.

Welcome and congrats on getting back to it! I always prefer a 5x5 routine when starting back in. It’s a good one for building strength.