T Nation

Time to Get Sirius

[quote]prock wrote:
I’m not hear to debate who loves Howard and who doesn’t but with that being said I am a huge fan of his show. The fact that he replays his show on one station over and over allows me to pick up where I left off when I get in and out of the car. The commercial free music stations are the shit as well and with the ability of the new product to basically pause and rewind I’m definitly getting it. Should replace my ipod at the gym.

Oh and with Artie’s new revelation, I can’t stop laughing!

Anybody in the north seen beer league yet?[/quote]
Whats Artie’s new revelation???

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
I didn’t remember starting this thread, then I saw the “the”

[/quote]

There’s my long lost brother!

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years.

From the amount of people who already subscribed because of Howard, they already more than paid off his salary.[/quote]

From a strickly investment point of view Sirius has a real problem with overpaying for talent, including Martha Stewart whose career is based on things that can be shown visually.

Quite frankly, the NFL can’t be a huge money make either. How many people actually listen NFL games on the radio? Most people I know make it a point to watch games at home or friends houses on Sunday and Monday night if they are even the least bit interested in the game.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years.

From the amount of people who already subscribed because of Howard, they already more than paid off his salary.

From a strickly investment point of view Sirius has a real problem with overpaying for talent, including Martha Stewart whose career is based on things that can be shown visually.

Quite frankly, the NFL can’t be a huge money make either. How many people actually listen NFL games on the radio? Most people I know make it a point to watch games at home or friends houses on Sunday and Monday night if they are even the least bit interested in the game.[/quote]

I agree, you watch NFL games at home,
XM has baseball which is on every freaking day and sometimes during the day while you are at work. For me Baseball is a much better idea on the radio

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/pics/Sirius_Stiletto.jpg
vs

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
prock wrote:
I’m not hear to debate who loves Howard and who doesn’t but with that being said I am a huge fan of his show. The fact that he replays his show on one station over and over allows me to pick up where I left off when I get in and out of the car. The commercial free music stations are the shit as well and with the ability of the new product to basically pause and rewind I’m definitly getting it. Should replace my ipod at the gym.

Oh and with Artie’s new revelation, I can’t stop laughing!

Anybody in the north seen beer league yet?
Whats Artie’s new revelation???
[/quote]

I heard that Artie was on heroin last year from Feb-June. When he missed a week last year he was detoxing.

Artie’s revelation:

That he had a heroin addiction sometime last year and that was the reason for him taking so many sick days. Sounds bad, I know, but he’s better now and of course it provides endless material for the show!

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I’ve had XM coming up on four years now and I love it. No complaints. I don’t get the attraction of Howard though…I mean I’m a fan of his, I’ve read his books, he just gets old real fast. I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years. I’m thinking that XM and Sirius will eventually merge into one. [/quote]

Where do you get your facts? Sirius will be buying XM just before they go bankrupt. Sirius has 70% of the market now.

[quote]johnny_law wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
I’ve had XM coming up on four years now and I love it. No complaints. I don’t get the attraction of Howard though…I mean I’m a fan of his, I’ve read his books, he just gets old real fast. I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years. I’m thinking that XM and Sirius will eventually merge into one.

Where do you get your facts? Sirius will be buying XM just before they go bankrupt. Sirius has 70% of the market now.

[/quote]

Where do you get your facts? Sirius has 4.7 million, a number that XM had September of last year. Currently, XM has around 7.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
johnny_law wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
I’ve had XM coming up on four years now and I love it. No complaints. I don’t get the attraction of Howard though…I mean I’m a fan of his, I’ve read his books, he just gets old real fast. I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years. I’m thinking that XM and Sirius will eventually merge into one.

Where do you get your facts? Sirius has 4.7 million, a number that XM had September of last year. Currently, XM has around 7.[/quote]

70% of all new Satellite subscribers are for Sirius. Sirius only had 600,000 a year a go and now they have 4.7 million? 4 million new listeners at $13 amonth is 52 million a month and 624 million a year. Which more than pays his 5 year salary of 500 million.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
johnny_law wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

Where do you get your facts? Sirius has 4.7 million, a number that XM had September of last year. Currently, XM has around 7.[/quote]

I have had sirius for a year, its pretty much all i listen to. Howard is great (I have tried o&A and cant stand them), the music is commercial free and the news stations are great(cnn,fox,bbc).

sirius is now outselling xm in the retail market and catching up in the auto market. When xm had 6 million subscribers, sirius only had 600,000. XM has also had a lot of management problems including an SEC investigation. Go with Sirius, in the end I think they will end up buying XM unless someone else steps in to try and revive them

[quote]johnny_law wrote:
TDog305 wrote:
johnny_law wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

Where do you get your facts? Sirius has 4.7 million, a number that XM had September of last year. Currently, XM has around 7.

70% of all new Satellite subscribers are for Sirius. Sirius only had 600,000 a year a go and now they have 4.7 million? 4 million new listeners at $13 amonth is 52 million a month and 624 million a year. Which more than pays his 5 year salary of 500 million.

[/quote]

70% of all Satellite subs from the 2nd quarter 2006 signed up for Sirius. You are talking about market share my friend.

Sirius - 4.7 million subs
XM - 7 million subs

Therefore, XM has almost 60% of the market.

Howard has claimed that 58% of audience went to Sirius with him, that would make 6 million subs. It simply is not true. Sirius has come out previously and said that they need 3 million of Stern’s listeners to make the move to Sirius to break even.

At the time of Stern’s announcement Sirius had 900,000 subs and currently has 4.5 million. If all of those people that signed up are Stern fans, Sirius made one hell of a gamble and it paid off. But, you aren’t going to convince me that that is the case.

If you expect that kind of growth to happen on a quarter by quarter basis for the long term you are out of your mind.

I am saying this because in a previous life I was an analyst, and have been watching the Satellite radio market with baited breath. Truth be told, both companies are dogshit, and I would not put a dime of my money in either investment wise (other than when I bought puts on Sirius when it was up to 13 and made a killing).

Both companies have many hurdles to overcome, and the chance of them merging is slim-to-none given Federal Antitrust laws.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
johnny_law wrote:
TDog305 wrote:
johnny_law wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

If you expect that kind of growth to happen on a quarter by quarter basis for the long term you are out of your mind.[/quote]

I guess we’ll see. My point still stands. Sirius has already made their money back and it’s not going out of business based on his huge salary as a previous poster has read.