T Nation

Time to Get Sirius

THe new “Stiletto” was just announced! (Oct 1st release)
It’s about time they released a portable/wireless unit (with WiFi)…

It’s time for me to make the jump from the dull “normal” radio to satellite…

Does anyone else have Sirius currently?

Comments???

(I’m getting it for Howard…The whining O&A are f’in killing me!)

[quote]TheZ-Man wrote:
THe new “Stiletto” was just announced! (Oct 1st release)
It’s about time they released a portable/wireless unit (with WiFi)…

It’s time for me to make the jump from the dull “normal” radio to satallite…

Does anyone else have Sirius currently?

Comments???

(I’m getting it for Howard…The whining O&A are f’in killing me!)
[/quote]

My only comment is that XM had better come out with something similar VERY soon.

EDIT: So, um…they already have.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmp3/index.jsp

I already have Sirius and I’m very happy with it.

I got the S50, which can do everything the new one can, except get the satelite reception without an antenna (I know, that’s a big “except”, but it can download songs from Sirius for use as a portable player, and you can download your own mp3s to it).

The S50 was $300, but came with a $100 mail in rebate, which I took advantage of.

At first I didn’t think I’d listen to Howard that often, and I bought it mostly for the comercial free music, and partly for Howard, but then I got hooked on his show.

It’s absolutely great IMO, and better than I remember it from when he was on regular radio.

I’m in my van for an average of 3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, so it’s really worth every penny for me.

Last I checked XM didn’t have Howard…

The portablity plus Howard is the reason I’m going with Sirius.

From what I’ve heard and read the music content is virtually the same (except that XM isn’t commercial free).

Sirius it is!
I can’t wait

I have Sirius only because my brother produces Richard Simmon’s show and he gets Sirius for free. I wouldn’t pay for it myself. The talk channels are pretty good (mostly the comedy and politics channels). The sound quality of the music channels is like AM radio. Lots of variety, crappy sound quality. Don’t buy one for the music, get it for the talk channels.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I have Sirius only because my brother produces Richard Simmon’s show and he gets Sirius for free. I wouldn’t pay for it myself. The talk channels are pretty good (mostly the comedy and politics channels). The sound quality of the music channels is like AM radio. Lots of variety, crappy sound quality. Don’t buy one for the music, get it for the talk channels. [/quote]

Are you using an FM transmitter?

The sound quality is near CD quality. It’s a digital signal.

Sirius is the way to go, no question, tons of staions, few commercials, and good laughs with Howard. If I ever get in a friends car without it, it feels like I am going back in time 10 years. I’m in sales and in the car all day so it’s a must.

I’ve had XM for a year. Coworker has had Sirius. No real difference as far as content and music choices as far as we can tell.A few XM channels do have commercials since Clearchannel is putting the content on them.

As for Howard being a reason to buy Sirius, I just don’t see it. I listened to Stern back in the day, vastly prefer Opie and Anthony.

Sirius is the way to go. I have had it for 3 years, and wouldn’t do without.

As far as sound quality, it is much better than FM, it’s a totally different signal, and much higher quality.

The majority of the channels are nothing short of excellent, and unlike XM, they get all NFL games, which is great if traveling, and have Howard and Maxim Radio.

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
I’ve had XM for a year. Coworker has had Sirius. No real difference as far as content and music choices as far as we can tell.A few XM channels do have commercials since Clearchannel is putting the content on them.

As for Howard being a reason to buy Sirius, I just don’t see it. I listened to Stern back in the day, vastly prefer Opie and Anthony.

[/quote]

That’s what I figured…
For me it comes down to whom I prefer…O&A or Howard…

I’ve been listening to O&A for the last few months and I really don’t get them…
They have their moments…but they really annoy me most of the time…
Unfortunately in NYC the alternatives are the Z Morning Zoo or Whoopi…
Howard is the only alternative now!

Howard and O&A are both lame. For me, the choice would be XM for Ron and Fez.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
PGJ wrote:
I have Sirius only because my brother produces Richard Simmon’s show and he gets Sirius for free. I wouldn’t pay for it myself. The talk channels are pretty good (mostly the comedy and politics channels). The sound quality of the music channels is like AM radio. Lots of variety, crappy sound quality. Don’t buy one for the music, get it for the talk channels.

Are you using an FM transmitter?

The sound quality is near CD quality. It’s a digital signal.[/quote]

I just use the antenna and a vacant radio station. I was told that if you want the true digital quality you would have to buy some extra crap that hooks directly to your stereo.

I’ve had Sirius for a year now and I got it to listen to Howard Stern. However I also love the uncensored comedy channels and commerical free music. Regular radio is dead.

It’s a great product.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
PGJ wrote:
I have Sirius only because my brother produces Richard Simmon’s show and he gets Sirius for free. I wouldn’t pay for it myself. The talk channels are pretty good (mostly the comedy and politics channels). The sound quality of the music channels is like AM radio. Lots of variety, crappy sound quality. Don’t buy one for the music, get it for the talk channels.

Are you using an FM transmitter?

The sound quality is near CD quality. It’s a digital signal.

I just use the antenna and a vacant radio station. I was told that if you want the true digital quality you would have to buy some extra crap that hooks directly to your stereo.
[/quote]

As long as your head unit has an auxillary input, the only extra thing you need to buy is a wire (at least with the model I have).

[quote]TheZ-Man wrote:
THe new “Stiletto” was just announced! (Oct 1st release)
It’s about time they released a portable/wireless unit (with WiFi)…

It’s time for me to make the jump from the dull “normal” radio to satellite…

Does anyone else have Sirius currently?

Comments???

(I’m getting it for Howard…The whining O&A are f’in killing me!)
[/quote]

HELL YEAH!!!

I’m sooo in howard withdrawl. I work in an office and couldnt get sirius. I think this might be the soloution.

Thanks!!!

O&A bite balls!.

I’ve had XM coming up on four years now and I love it. No complaints. I don’t get the attraction of Howard though…I mean I’m a fan of his, I’ve read his books, he just gets old real fast. I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years. I’m thinking that XM and Sirius will eventually merge into one.

I’m not hear to debate who loves Howard and who doesn’t but with that being said I am a huge fan of his show. The fact that he replays his show on one station over and over allows me to pick up where I left off when I get in and out of the car. The commercial free music stations are the shit as well and with the ability of the new product to basically pause and rewind I’m definitly getting it. Should replace my ipod at the gym.

Oh and with Artie’s new revelation, I can’t stop laughing!

Anybody in the north seen beer league yet?

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I’ve also heard that because Sirius is paying Howard so damn much money, they’re in danger of being out of business in the next two to three years. [/quote]

From the amount of people who already subscribed because of Howard, they already more than paid off his salary.

I didn’t remember starting this thread, then I saw the “the”

Personally, I love O&A, I got tired of Howard and I have teared up from laughing so hard numerous times listening to Jim Norton on the show. The guy is a fing genius.

Anyway, as far as XM having commercials on their music stations, that is not true. They only have commercials on talk radio, same format as Sirius.

If you don’t care about the talk radio it is a toss up between the two, otherwise it pretty much comes down to which morning show you like better. Either one is a great use of money if you spend any appreciable time in the car IMO.