Time to Check the Diet!

Hi guys, any diet gurus fancy having a quick look at my diet?!

8.30 Protein shake / baguel or oats / Banana

10.30 Chicken and brown rice

12.00 Homemade protein bar (340cal roughly)

2.00 Chicken and brown rice

4.15 Protein shake / oats

5.30-6.30 Train

6.30 “gain” shake (protein with carbs)

7.30 Varies, normally a meat with rice and some veg

9.00 Protein shake

10.30 Quark cheese with a little milk

I know that’s rough and calories aren’t stated :frowning:

Here’s where I’m at:

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/3.jpg

Wouldn’t mind losing some fat as I think I’m currently sitting around 15%. Down to 10/11% would be nice. Sitting at just under 210lbs most of the time. Would it be worth me adding 20 minutes of cardio on my off days in the morning for my goal? What are you opinions on cardio for minimal muscle loss?

I’m also thinking about putting some oats in my shake at 9ish.

Im no diet guru but it looks healthy and looks like your getting enough protein and good carbs

not sure how many calories but I dont think you are going to gain any fat with that diet

[quote]ethos wrote:

5.30-6.30 Train

9.00 Protein shake

Here’s where I’m at:

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.co

Wouldn’t mind losing some fat as I think I’m currently sitting around 15%. Down to 10/11% would be nice. Sitting at just under 210lbs most of the time. Would it be worth me adding 20 minutes of cardio on my off days in the morning for my goal? What are you opinions on cardio for minimal muscle loss?

I’m also thinking about putting some oats in my shake at 9ish.[/quote]

If your looking to lose fat make sure that 8.30 meal of bagel OR oats, is definitely oats!

In my humble opinion, unless you have a really high metabolism, all I see is a diet where your blood sugars are elevated throughout the entire day. Almost every meal has high G.I. foods in it. And to me, that spells fat storage, so you’ll never bring your body fat down. You should consider nutritional timing, where those foods should only be consumed within the 4 hours after your workout (so up to 10:30 pm).

Otherwise, with the exception of breakfast where you need to replenish your glucose stores, you should be focused on protein and low G.I. foods and essential fats. I didn’t see any mention of those. As I understand it, 25 to 35% of your calories should be coming from fat sources. That could end up to be around 1,000 calories alone, which is about 140 grams.

If you’re of that mind set that carbs don’t make you fat, give your head a shake. People knock the protein + carb and protein + fat concepts of meal planning, but it has merit and it has worked well for me. You also didn’t mention consuming a protein+ carb drink while working out. I would strongly recommend this as well.

[quote]Brian888 wrote:
In my humble opinion, unless you have a really high metabolism, all I see is a diet where your blood sugars are elevated throughout the entire day. Almost every meal has high G.I. foods in it. And to me, that spells fat storage, so you’ll never bring your body fat down. You should consider nutritional timing, where those foods should only be consumed within the 4 hours after your workout (so up to 10:30 pm).

Otherwise, with the exception of breakfast where you need to replenish your glucose stores, you should be focused on protein and low G.I. foods and essential fats. I didn’t see any mention of those. As I understand it, 25 to 35% of your calories should be coming from fat sources. That could end up to be around 1,000 calories alone, which is about 140 grams.

If you’re of that mind set that carbs don’t make you fat, give your head a shake. People knock the protein + carb and protein + fat concepts of meal planning, but it has merit and it has worked well for me. You also didn’t mention consuming a protein+ carb drink while working out. I would strongly recommend this as well. [/quote]

Well, your good at theory, but eating chicken and brown rice hardly qualifies as over carbing and the reason for getting fat. With that diet, if his calories are in line, he will NOT get fat soley because of the carbs chosen.

If he were trying to get to 6 or 8%bf, maybe–but 10-12% no problem.

I would agree with the need for more fats. I would also look to include a few more veggies and fruits for the fiber.

P&F and P&C but never C&F has little merit in and of itself. Obviously it can be effective, but so can not observing those rules. I have become relatively lean and never followed such a program. So again, the theory is nice, but not necessary. The one place I would avoid carbs is later in the day/night–especially your last meal maybe two.

[quote]Brian888 wrote:
In my humble opinion, unless you have a really high metabolism, all I see is a diet where your blood sugars are elevated throughout the entire day. Almost every meal has high G.I. foods in it.

[/quote]

As much as I appreciate your comments I fail to see how the my meals are high in gi?! Brown rice and chicken? Protein shakes? I think you need to do a little more reading on the GI index :slight_smile:

I agree about the fat though. The home-made protein bar has around 20g of fat in (peanut butter) and I do tend to snack on seeds now and then. Also I supplment on fish oil. Trying to find a good place to add fats and what fats though really (Any ideas?)!

My diet pretty much sticks to this most days, the only things that really change are I might have a jacket potato instead of brown rice… or maybe some sweet potato (mmmm).

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:

If your looking to lose fat make sure that 8.30 meal of bagel OR oats, is definitely oats!
[/quote]

But the bagel tastes so gooooood!! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]ethos wrote:

5.30-6.30 Train

9.00 Protein shake

Here’s where I’m at:

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/3.jpg

I’m also thinking about putting some oats in my shake at 9ish.[/quote]

Hey mate,

Just a couple of things that come to mind when looking at your diet.

The first, as mentioned, is the lack of quality fats in your diet. I would recommend dialing down the carbs outside of your peri-workout window and first thing in the AM.

I would look to substitute the mid-day brown rice and oats with veggies, nuts, fish oils and maybe a little bit of cheese with a lean protein source. There’s really no reason for such a heavy concentrate of carbohydrates throughout the day unless you’re working in a very physically active environment. Also, fat is very protein sparing and will help you maintain muscle with your diet.

The next thing I would look at is adding some veggies and fruits throughout the day. Fibre aside, veggies and fruit help to balance out the acidity of a high-protein/high-carbohydrate diet like this. It’s very important to maintain a healthy GI to optimise protein and nutrient absorption.

The only other thing I would mention is try to make as many meals as you can be actual foods rather than supplements. There’s a lot of information on here that talks to the thermic effect of eating. Especially with high protein levels in your diet you can really benefit from this mechanic.

Hope that helps but shoot back with any questions.

Cheers,

Sasha

[quote]SashaG wrote:

I would look to substitute the mid-day brown rice and oats with veggies, nuts, fish oils and maybe a little bit of cheese with a lean protein source. There’s really no reason for such a heavy concentrate of carbohydrates throughout the day unless you’re working in a very physically active environment. Also, fat is very protein sparing and will help you maintain muscle with your diet.

The next thing I would look at is adding some veggies and fruits throughout the day. Fibre aside, veggies and fruit help to balance out the acidity of a high-protein/high-carbohydrate diet like this. It’s very important to maintain a healthy GI to optimise protein and nutrient absorption.

The only other thing I would mention is try to make as many meals as you can be actual foods rather than supplements. There’s a lot of information on here that talks to the thermic effect of eating. Especially with high protein levels in your diet you can really benefit from this mechanic.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! I think I like the idea of subbing the carbs at say 10.30am or 2pm for some fat / veggies. I’ve got to admit I don’t eat many at all. In regards to fruit, I do eat at least a few pieces in the day I guess I just forgot to add them. For example I’ve just snacked on 200g on grapes after my breakfast! Most of my meals are solid, on an off day I only normally have 2-3 protein shakes.

Time to find some veggie / protein / fatty type recipes then. Any come to mind? :slight_smile:

[quote]ethos wrote:
elliotnewman1 wrote:

But the bagel tastes so gooooood!! :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Haha yeah maybe it does…but if you wanna lose fat…

[quote]ethos wrote:
Brian888 wrote:
In my humble opinion, unless you have a really high metabolism, all I see is a diet where your blood sugars are elevated throughout the entire day. Almost every meal has high G.I. foods in it.

As much as I appreciate your comments I fail to see how the my meals are high in gi?! Brown rice and chicken? Protein shakes? I think you need to do a little more reading on the GI index :slight_smile:

I agree about the fat though. The home-made protein bar has around 20g of fat in (peanut butter) and I do tend to snack on seeds now and then. Also I supplment on fish oil. Trying to find a good place to add fats and what fats though really (Any ideas?)!

My diet pretty much sticks to this most days, the only things that really change are I might have a jacket potato instead of brown rice… or maybe some sweet potato (mmmm).

[/quote]

Don’t worry. I have plenty of experience with the Glycemic index on foods. I’ve been paying attention to it and how it affects my diet for the last 10 years. Regarding my earlier post, obviously I was generalizing (I have nothing against chicken, though other protein sources would also be helpful such as beef and fish), but starches like brown or white rice, potatoes, yams, all pastas, bread and bagels, as well as oatmeal, are all going to affect your blood sugar. So are refined sugar products.

Your protein shake could affect your levels if it has enough sugars in it. Starches are best consumed after your workout as stated earlier, when your body can best utilize them. As expected, some people don’t agree with me. That said, there’s plenty of articles on this site alone that can either support my theories or nix them. You should research them and adjust to what you feel is right and gets you the goals you’re trying to achieve.

I have a similar diet and eat on a similar schedule…I agree that the carbs during the day might not be ideal for weight loss and need to clean it up as well.

Anyways just wondered if you incorporate cottage cheese into your diet at all. It’s a healthy food with a good amount of protein and low carbs that you can supposedly eat as much of as you want. Just a thought…

[quote]Brian888 wrote:

Don’t worry. I have plenty of experience with the Glycemic index on foods. I’ve been paying attention to it and how it affects my diet for the last 10 years. Regarding my earlier post, obviously I was generalizing (I have nothing against chicken, though other protein sources would also be helpful such as beef and fish), but starches like brown or white rice, potatoes, yams, all pastas, bread and bagels, as well as oatmeal, are all going to affect your blood sugar. So are refined sugar products.

Your protein shake could affect your levels if it has enough sugars in it. Starches are best consumed after your workout as stated earlier, when your body can best utilize them. As expected, some people don’t agree with me. That said, there’s plenty of articles on this site alone that can either support my theories or nix them. You should research them and adjust to what you feel is right and gets you the goals you’re trying to achieve.[/quote]

Brown rice is low GI though, so it’s not a problem with insulin spikes? Also I have unflavoured protein which has no sugar/added crap whatsoever. I do have other protein source apart from chicken but most of the time it’s chicken or turkey to keep the cost down.

Apparently to raise insulin to be classed as a spike takes 50+ grams of high GI carbs.