Time Restricted Building the Monolith

Hi all

The building the monolith template has caught my eye but due to work/family I only have around 30 minutes a day to train. I tried the programme today and just about got through the squats and presses in the 30 minutes.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on doing the first 2 movements three days a week and having a fourth day for rows, chins and arm work? Obviously I’d need to keep an eye on recovery etc

Opinions welcome…

You’d be training 7 days a week with that set-up. It might be a little tough on recovery.

I was thinking 4 days weights, 2 light conditioning, day off after 20 rep squats.

Maybe fit it onto an 8 day training week for extra recovery?

I think it’s a bad idea to try to fit that template, which is premised on intense full-body workouts 3 days / week, into 30 minute training sessions.

Try CT’s 20 minute muscle builder.

[quote]Robo-tops wrote:
Hi all

The building the monolith template has caught my eye but due to work/family I only have around 30 minutes a day to train. I tried the programme today and just about got through the squats and presses in the 30 minutes.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on doing the first 2 movements three days a week and having a fourth day for rows, chins and arm work? Obviously I’d need to keep an eye on recovery etc

Opinions welcome…[/quote]

It’s not the program - there is a rhyme and reason to how things are done, believe it or not. I suggest you try another template that fits your schedule. This is all explained in the Beyond book.

Fair point Jim.

If you were always short on time but could train everyday, how would you set up your training?

531 pushing the last set, FSL, one big assistance move 4 days per week? Conditioning twice a week?

I’m not Jim obviously but i would train two lifts everyday with limited assistance to only aid in prehab shit.
so like Monday - squat and bench Tuesday - deadlift and press wedensday - squat and bench Thursday- so on and so forth…I would use the 5’s Progression and condition maybe once a week…just a thought

[quote]eggs420 wrote:
I’m not Jim obviously but i would train two lifts everyday with limited assistance to only aid in prehab shit.
so like Monday - squat and bench Tuesday - deadlift and press wedensday - squat and bench Thursday- so on and so forth…I would use the 5’s Progression and condition maybe once a week…just a thought [/quote]

Something to think about. Thanks!

[quote]Robo-tops wrote:
Fair point Jim.

If you were always short on time but could train everyday, how would you set up your training?

531 pushing the last set, FSL, one big assistance move 4 days per week? Conditioning twice a week?[/quote]

Doesn’t seem like your version of being short of time, fits mine. That “training day” is a normal training day. So my advice is to do that.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]Robo-tops wrote:
Fair point Jim.

531 pushing the last set, FSL, one big assistance move 4 days per week? Conditioning twice a week?[/quote]

Doesn’t seem like your version of being short of time, fits mine. That “training day” is a normal training day. So my advice is to do that.

[/quote]

I’m nowhere near your level Jim so I can probably get through the work quicker with shorter rest periods…

I’ve glanced through my 2nd edition copy and the simplest strength template seems a decent fit for my situation.

Thanks for your time Jim, appreciated.