T Nation

Time Off...A mental game

After much deliberation, and considering the fact that I haven’t taken off from training for any longer than 2 days in the last 2 years, I have decided to take a week off. Truth be know, I am dreading it. Everything in my mind tells me I will loose muscle, get weaker, and not contine my progress that I have been making this year. Even though i have read the articles, and understand the benefits from planned time off, but it still feels wrong. Just wondering if am the only person mentally attached to weights.
Am I the only one that has felt this way going into a planned rest like this?

no you are definately not alone, i had a week off about a month ago and it was the longest week ever especially when you find some new things that you want to try etc. Right now im getting over a cold so i have been staying away from the gym for a couple of days and its killing me I feel like im going to lose the precious 5lbs of muscle i have gained in the last month or so. peace

Hey bro, I am new to this forum but I found this thread to be pretty interesting. I used the think the same thing until I tried it. The fact is, rest is the most important thing involved in weight training. You may find that a week off every now and then, you will actually get a little stronger because the muscles have fully healed. You cannot grow when you are lifting, only when you are resting. Now I take a week off every 6 to 8 weeks to let things heal and grow. If you are simply training for stamina and not size, well, then that’s a different story.

I feel ya. I’ve been having these little pulls and tweaks all over my body lately so i decided to take a week off too. My fear is packin on pounds though.

im on a week off right now and i freaken hate it! i am totally adicted to the gym.

I hate the gym, I hate cardio but I love the way I feel post workout. I gues I am addicted to the pump and the way I look when I am done. I guess that is the trade off. I don’t get anothr week off now for 8 more weeks:(.

Ya i will be the first to admit that i am addicted to excercise, but i guess its better than crack

hey Alpha, i don’t like being out of the gym. it really is my ‘happy place’ - i lay out any frustrations, i challenge myself mentally and physically, and i get that sweet satisfaction of accomplishment doing something i love to do. but taking planned time off is good for the body to catch up on any much needed rest (especially after 2 years!). time off doesn’t mean you completely block out what you want out of your mind and body - its just a time to regroup and plan out what you want to do for the next time you hit the weights, where you want to be in 3, 6, maybe 12 months from now, and how you’re going to get there. enjoy the week off as best you can. you’ll get back to the gym with a renewed vigour and even greater hunger for the iron.

I hate off weeks as well. What I have discovered beneficial during the week is to do some light active recovery workouts just to get the blood flowing a bit. Like maybe a four or five exercise complex using bodyweight exercises only followed by some rope jumping and stretching. It serves two purposes I find: Aids in recovery so I can hit it hard the following week, and keeps me from feeling like I’m doing absolutely nothing.