Time Magazine: Exercise Not Important to Weight Loss

[quote]Xab wrote:
Now all the fatass land whales of the world are going to think that they should cancel their gym memberships …[/quote]

YAYYYYYYYYY!!! Now I won’t have to wait 10min for the jackass on the seated straight leg calf raise who is using it as a leg press machine even though the pin isn’t even set in the weight stack to get done.

As lethargy rises and obesity sky rockets. a generation of people more sedentary then ever before content to consume with the quick fix of cable TV, comfy couch cushions, and trans fat laden snacks this is the perfect news to let people know it’s okay to do nothing. Most people only breathe because oxygen is free. (aside from this rant some of the things you all had to say were pretty funny… overlooking the sad truth of course)

Anyone who will now think about canceling their gym membership, should. It is guaranteed that they work so lightly in the gym that the Time article is correct - their “exercise” will be useless to them.

Fuck the sheep.

YEah I can see it now, a bunch of people now using the TIMES article for a way not to go the gym and exercise. You know what good fuck em now it wont be as packed.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
YEah I can see it now, a bunch of people now using the TIMES article for a way not to go the gym and exercise. You know what good fuck em now it wont be as packed. [/quote]

“Yep. I knew all of that exercise shit wasn’t worth it!! Pass my buckets 'O chicken parts, baby, it’s time to let loose!!!”

What bothers me is when people make these assumptions that if you reduce your calorie intake that it necessarily follows that you’ll do less activity and vice versa(that if you increase your activity, you’ll necessarily eat more). It’s the same logic used to support the “Diets don’t work” philosophy.

But what about overriding your natural inclinations and toughing it out? What about eating less and busting your ass, even if you’re tired, miserable, and your body doesn’t like it? The pre-contest bodybuilder epitomizes this.

Or how about gasp NOT going to Starbucks after exercise if you want to lose weight? Of course, the whole concept of body composition is ignored, as well as type of exercise and the effect of said exercise on your metabolic and hormonal state.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
YEah I can see it now, a bunch of people now using the TIMES article for a way not to go the gym and exercise. You know what good fuck em now it wont be as packed. [/quote]

Silver lining.

I couldn’t view the video at work so I found the original article.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857-1,00.html

What a shmuck. No mention of weight training and EPOC. The whole article is focused on ‘losing weight’ instead of transforming your physique.

At the end, the author gives up:

So, he’ll stop exercising, maybe change his diet and become a lighter version of himself, skinny-fat.

Great. Maybe more people will decide not to join a gym this January and I won’t have trouble finding a good locker for the first 3 months of the year again.

Diet is way more important than exercise when it comes to losing weight. I exercised up to 3 hours per day but gained weight/fat when I ate over 7000 calories per day. Many people can lose weight without exercise if they can control their diets. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

I didn’t read all the posts but here is single a truthful statement out of the link:

calories IN vs. calories OUT

shrug it’s not rocket science and has been said/true for years. Richard Stengel is no where near as eloquent as say even Obama. With his rhetoric people will think they can and should sit on their ass all while being healthy. Dumbass fat lazy people are feeling justified for doing nothing. The world is full of idiots!

[quote]kneedragger79 wrote:
I didn’t read all the posts but here is single a truthful statement out of the link:

calories IN vs. calories OUT

shrug it’s not rocket science and has been said/true for years. Richard Stengel is no where near as eloquent as say even Obama. With his rhetoric people will think they can and should sit on their ass all while being healthy. Dumbass fat lazy people are feeling justified for doing nothing. The world is full of idiots![/quote]

more like, incoming calories stored as fat vs. calories expended from stored fat

[quote]amphibian wrote:
Fuck the sheep.[/quote]

Ok, but not until i’m done with the goats.

It’s just for the fatties that go “I work out, i can eat whatever i want.”

Ahhhhh…now the stupid ass comment my mother-in-law made to me last night when I came home from working out makes perfect sense!

My mother actually said once, “Exercise isn’t for everyone”.

I thought that was bad enough. Then a few years later, I heard my best friend’s flabby wife say the exact line.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My mother actually said once, “Exercise isn’t for everyone”.

I thought that was bad enough. Then a few years later, I heard my best friend’s flabby wife say the exact line. [/quote]

LMAO. You should ask them how that works out in nature. For instance, to the Cheetah that says, “you know, running isn’t for everyone.” Or a shark that doesn’t feel like swimming.

Dipshits.