Time for Thibaudeau-building!!!

CT, how long of a rest period do you recommend for classic cluster training as per your DVD. Does it depend on the number of total sets you plan on doing (3-5). Also i always plan on doing 5 sets but i’ve reached failure before the last set and thus finished my workout then. Should i just increase rest periods as a gauge for the next workout or still strive to go up in weight a little bit if i atleast did 3 sets. thank you, pk

As you’ve been focusing more on bodybuilding than strength/power training in recent past, were you cardio workouts the traditional steady state post-workout treadmill, or were they closer to the workouts outlined in your Running Man article?

[quote]H factor wrote:
I’m sure you NEVER get article requests…but I’ve actually gained something from nearly every article you’ve written so…

Looking back you’ve done lower body, hamstrings, back, shoulders, biceps, traps…am I missing anything on body part specific workouts? I’d love to see a specific triceps or calves article from you, as you always have unique exercises and variations. Wouldn’t mind seeing another Rapid Fire (where you tackle a few topics quickly) either.

That’s all for today! [/quote]

Well, triceps are my strongest muscle and I do know a thing or two about training them. I told myself that I wasn’t gonna do another “bodypart” training routine. But a list of new exercises for various muscle groups might be in the cards for the near future.

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
CT, how long of a rest period do you recommend for classic cluster training as per your DVD. Does it depend on the number of total sets you plan on doing (3-5). Also i always plan on doing 5 sets but i’ve reached failure before the last set and thus finished my workout then. Should i just increase rest periods as a gauge for the next workout or still strive to go up in weight a little bit if i atleast did 3 sets. thank you, pk[/quote]

Start at around 2-3 minutes between sets, this should allow for almost complete muscle and CNS recovery. And gradually work your way down.

Or do what I do with my athletes. Start with minimal rest intervals and increase is from set to set.

CT, also as a personal gauge for myself, when you do or did your 400 meter interval runs, how fast do you run them, and how much rest do you use in between runs. the reason is because i need to get rid of stuburn abdominal fat and nothing seems to be working, now that the weather is nice i want to start hitting the track. thank you, pk

How strong are hang power cleans (from blocks) relative to a person’s full clean?

If I can’t get the powerclean technique down from the ground would you suggest I focus on hang power cleans exclusively until I get a coach to show me the movement from the floor?

[quote]john p wrote:
As you’ve been focusing more on bodybuilding than strength/power training in recent past, were you cardio workouts the traditional steady state post-workout treadmill, or were they closer to the workouts outlined in your Running Man article?[/quote]

LSD … long and slow distance

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
CT, also as a personal gauge for myself, when you do or did your 400 meter interval runs, how fast do you run them, and how much rest do you use in between runs. the reason is because i need to get rid of stuburn abdominal fat and nothing seems to be working, now that the weather is nice i want to start hitting the track. thank you, pk[/quote]

Most of my hockey players will run their 400m between 1:00 and 1:15 depending on how many they have.

[quote]Zulu wrote:
How strong are hang power cleans (from blocks) relative to a person’s full clean?

If I can’t get the powerclean technique down from the ground would you suggest I focus on hang power cleans exclusively until I get a coach to show me the movement from the floor?[/quote]

If you are not looking to compete in olympic lifting you have no needs to do lifts from the floor. You’ll get the full benefits from lifts from the hang and blocks.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

If you are not looking to compete in olympic lifting you have no needs to do lifts from the floor. You’ll get the full benefits from lifts from the hang and blocks.[/quote]

My form is better when lifting from the floor. Do you think switching to lifts from the hang for a while would benefit me, since I would have to pull more explosively since I will not have the oppurtunity to generate any momentum during the first pull? Or should I just shut up and lift?

Someone else commented on your writing routines with a “shoulders only” day. Working shoulders by themselves is one of the biggest reasons my delts have improved considerably in the past year. Just wanted to thank you.

Hey CT I was wondering what you thought of REA Squats to help increase explosive power for jumping. There is a shorter learning curve than a full O-Lift. The reason I bring this up is that most trainees will do a PClean or a PSnatch with little to no dip under the bar thereforeand accept the weight almost in a standstill. They do not get the benefit of accepting force that you get from the full versions. Isn’t the ability to accept force stop it and reverse it that leads to explosive power.

jsal33

Hey CT:
I hope this is okay to post. I just got sideswiped by someone trying to get me involved with “Pharmanex” and trying to sell their supplements…Lifepak. They talked about some new scanner for the body that detects antioxidant levels that is sweeping the industry.

Have you ever heard of this company, scanner, or supplements?

I checked out the website and it looks sort of fishy.

Any ideas on how you would train an MMA fighter.

Thanks
Adam Singer

Hey CT:
Just in case that last post was inappropriate, I’ll throw another one out at you.

I’m trying to cut fat. I’m only about 14% fat now but want to get shredded.

I’m on HOT-ROX and trying to eat well. Basically, Berardi style but within the T-Dawg 2.0 diet.

Lifting 3 days a week total body with 4-5 sets of 5 reps of compound movements.

Cardio is bike intervals(30 sec sprints 1:3 ratio) on lifting days and 30 minute uphill walk on non lifting days. Rest on the weekends.

Any suggestions or am I going down the right path?

Yo CT,

In the program you presented regarding bulgarian bodybuilding, you mentioned that most were former O-lifters.

My question is this: Is there a way to integrate Olifts in the same bodybuilding format? Or are Olifts that better left for another time?

Also, in your training to Olift how often did you bench press? I’ve heard a lot about it limiting your flexibility or not being important. I don’t agree with that and just wanted to hear your perspective.

Thanks a lot Thib you’re a big inspiration and my favorite T-Mag contributor.

-Xen Nova

Zulu wrote:

If I can’t get the powerclean technique down from the ground would you suggest I focus on hang power cleans exclusively until I get a coach to show me the movement from the floor?

If you are not looking to compete in olympic lifting you have no needs to do lifts from the floor. You’ll get the full benefits from lifts from the hang and blocks.[/quote]

but for overall full body muscle building purposes would you still not recommend lifts from the floor? thank you, pk

Hey CT,
Long time fan, first time questioner.

In one of the posts you mentioned jump lunges with 15-20% bodyweight. Is this adding 15-20%??? And is the execution starting in a lunge position, jump, swap legs mid air land etc???

Thanks

CT, did you get my e-mail about the Canadian Ascending-Descending scheme for the core?

DONJUANPIMPIN wrote:

What’s the best way or excersises to improve vertical leap?

It depends on the athlete’s weakness. But I’d say that you can’t go wrong with power snatch/power clean from the hang or blocks, romanian deadlifts, back squat, jump squats (with 15-20% of your max squat), jump lunges (with 15-20% of your bodyweight) and depth jumps (performed only for 3 weeks blocks every 2-3 months).****** What about eccentric only or altitude jumps?

DONJUANPIMPIN wrote:
What’s the fastest 40 you’ve seen and how was that 40 obtained if it was one of your client’s?

The fastest I’ve seen (well I haven’t actualy seen it) was by Pascal Caron (member of the Canadian bobsleigh team) who did a 4.17 at the Chicago Bears tryout back in 1996 or 1997. He also bench pressed 225lbs for 36 reps at a bodyweight of 181lbs … the 40 was hand timed though. So it’s roughly equivalent to a high 4.3s / 40.[/quote]

**** I heard that Ben Johnson ran a 3.7 and Merlene Ottey a 3.9. Do you believe this.

[quote] I have personnally timed him with an electric timing device at 4.28. At that time (2 years ago) he also bench pressed 425lbs for 1 rep at a bodyweight of 167lbs and full squatted 500lbs.

DONJUANPIMPIN wrote:
How would you define athletcism and the best way to become “athletic”?

Too many variables … to many ways of being athletic … a champion marathon runner is athletic and so is a sprinter. But both are exact opposites.

DONJUANPIMPIN wrote:
What would you recommend for a football player looking for a workout but doesn’t want a cookie cutter program but wants a specfic program for his needs but doesn’t know how to go about it? thanks

Well, contact a decent strength coach for a personal consultation. [/quote]

[quote]downintucson wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

If you are not looking to compete in olympic lifting you have no needs to do lifts from the floor. You’ll get the full benefits from lifts from the hang and blocks.

My form is better when lifting from the floor. Do you think switching to lifts from the hang for a while would benefit me, since I would have to pull more explosively since I will not have the oppurtunity to generate any momentum during the first pull? Or should I just shut up and lift?

Someone else commented on your writing routines with a “shoulders only” day. Working shoulders by themselves is one of the biggest reasons my delts have improved considerably in the past year. Just wanted to thank you.
[/quote]

If your form is better from the floor, stick with it! If you have the form down, lifts from the floor really are similar in effect to lifts from the hang.

Some will argue that with lifts from the floor your get to build more strength or size due to the first pull … that’s not true, at best you are using 60-65% of your max deadlift for 1-3 reps … hardly something that will build tons of size and strength!