Time for Thibaudeau-building!!!

Any of you feel worthy of being answered on this thread? :slight_smile:

Asked this in alot of your other threads but you never seem to get to it. So hopefully you’ll get to this one
What’s the best way or excersises to improve vertical leap? What’s the fastest 40 you’ve seen and how was that 40 obtained if it was one of your client’s? How would you define athletcism and the best way to become “athletic”?

What would you recommend for a football player looking for a workout but doesn’t want a cookie cutter program but wants a specfic program for his needs but doesn’t know how to go about it? thanks

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Any of you feel worthy of being answered on this thread? :)[/quote]

Hey CT quick question.Ever since I’ve started lifting I’ve done the typical

Day One
Chest/Triceps

Day Two
Legs

Day Four
Back/Biceps

Day Six
Shoulders

You know that whole thing…I really wanna switch to the lower body/upper body split.I think it would be a better split for me… do you have any recomendations…I really love your programs and have gotten great gains…I just finished the Extended 5s you did in your mutation series and really liked it so any input would be great.

Any of you feel worthy of being answered on this thread? :)[/quote]

Not sure I’m worthy, but here goes. In your black boot of training secrets, you outlined several programs, especially for strenght. After reading Dan John’s latest article, I wonder if you advocate doing you them at the same weight, or starting lower and going up? And to failure, not to failure, and in either case, how often?

On a side note, any seminar coming in Montreal’s area anytime soon?

Thanks for the words of wisdom, coach

It is pretty obvious you are a big fan of carb rotation diets to help with body composition. You also seem to prefer low(er) intensity cardio/energy system work to decrease bodyfat and help maintain LBM. When would you use intervals or other forms of energy system work for body comp. changes only? (obviously you will work different energy systems with your athletes) Do you change your recommendations for different body types, metabolisms, etc.? For example, would someone with a fast metabolism benefit more from lower intensity cardio than intervals to burn off bodyfat?

Thanks

Here’s one for ya,

Is it possible to put on mass while remaining cut without using gear?

Christian,

I’m currently following a strength program based around a wave protocol. For each compound lift:

• 4 reps close to 4RM

• 3 reps close to 3RM

• 2 reps close to 2RM

• 4 reps at the weight I used for my 2nd set

• 3 reps at the weight I used for my 3rd set

• 2 reps, setting a 2RM PR

Lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, weighted pull-ups, military press; I split these lifts in 3 different days, with 2-3 days rest in between.

Goals: my main goal is size, but the purpose of this program is to get stronger before I change into a more hypertrophy-oriented protocol.

My question: for how long do you feel that I should follow this program? As long as I make progress? I am wary about over-training or injuries, I guess…

Thanks

grrrinder wrote:

I have followed your program as outlined including grip work for 4 weeks. When I tested my max on Monday, I found that my chin up reps went from 4 to 8. My question is that now that I have finished the four weeks, what do you recommend as a routine to continue to increase my number of Chin Ups? I can perform one set of 8, and then my reps start falling to 6,5,5,etc…

What is the reason for the decrease in reps? Where do you feel is your weak point? Arms, forearms, hands, lats, rhomboids?

Now that you have made great improvements (doubling your capacity in 4 weeks); if you are to further improve we must focus on correcting your individual weak point(s).

grrrinder wrote:
My goal is to perform multiple sets of 10-15 repetitions.

I say that you should breakdown that goal in 2 smaller ones:

a) Being able to perform 10-15 chin for one set

b) Being able to maintain that level of performance for several sets

I suggest working on only one of these goals at a time. Spending 4-6 weeks on each one (more likely 6 weeks on the first one and 4 on the second one… it’s easier to develop the capacity to recover and maintain strength than it is to increase strength in the first place).

[/quote]

Hey Coach Thibaudeau,
Thanks for your reply to my question on yesterday’s forum. To answer your question, I feel that my weaknesses on Chin Ups are in this order (from weakest to strongest)

1. Upper Arms
  2. Rhomboids
  3. Hand/Forearm
  4. Lats

So if I understand correctly, I should first focus on a single set of 10-15 for the first 6 weeks, and then for 4 weeks focus on multiple sets. I’m really grateful for any advice and help.
Thanks,
Grrrinder

[quote]DONJUANPIMPIN wrote:

What’s the best way or excersises to improve vertical leap?
[/quote]

It depends on the athlete’s weakness. But I’d say that you can’t go wrong with power snatch/power clean from the hang or blocks, romanian deadlifts, back squat, jump squats (with 15-20% of your max squat), jump lunges (with 15-20% of your bodyweight) and depth jumps (performed only for 3 weeks blocks every 2-3 months).

What’s the fastest 40 you’ve seen and how was that 40 obtained if it was one of your client’s?
[/quote]

The fastest I’ve seen (well I haven’t actualy seen it) was by Pascal Caron (member of the Canadian bobsleigh team) who did a 4.17 at the Chicago Bears tryout back in 1996 or 1997. He also bench pressed 225lbs for 36 reps at a bodyweight of 181lbs … the 40 was hand timed though. So it’s roughly equivalent to a high 4.3s / 40.

I have personnally timed him with an electric timing device at 4.28. At that time (2 years ago) he also bench pressed 425lbs for 1 rep at a bodyweight of 167lbs and full squatted 500lbs.

How would you define athletcism and the best way to become “athletic”?
[/quote]

Too many variables … to many ways of being athletic … a champion marathon runner is athletic and so is a sprinter. But both are exact opposites.

What would you recommend for a football player looking for a workout but doesn’t want a cookie cutter program but wants a specfic program for his needs but doesn’t know how to go about it? thanks

[/quote]

Well, contact a decent strength coach for a personal consultation.

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Hey CT quick question.Ever since I’ve started lifting I’ve done the typical

Day One
Chest/Triceps

Day Two
Legs

Day Four
Back/Biceps

Day Six
Shoulders

You know that whole thing…I really wanna switch to the lower body/upper body split.I think it would be a better split for me… do you have any recomendations…I really love your programs and have gotten great gains…I just finished the Extended 5s you did in your mutation series and really liked it so any input would be great.[/quote]

This is kinda broad … what are your goals? Strength? Size? Power? Speed? What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Remember though. I really cannot give individualized training programs for free. This is my job and athletes pay me to do this for them. It wouldn’t be very nice to give away for free that they have to pay for!

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Not sure I’m worthy, but here goes. In your black boot of training secrets, you outlined several programs, especially for strenght. After reading Dan John’s latest article, I wonder if you advocate doing you them at the same weight, or starting lower and going up? And to failure, not to failure, and in either case, how often?

On a side note, any seminar coming in Montreal’s area anytime soon?

Thanks for the words of wisdom, coach

[/quote]

When training for strength I never go to failure. I always work up in weight taking 2-3 work sets to get to my working weight and I perform the remainder of these sets at that weight. This is called a skewed pyramid or a flat pyramid.

You’d have the check out the coach export web site for the seminar schedule.

CT-

I’ve noticed in some of your programs that you have a shoulder only day routine. Is this something you feel is neccessary with most trainees or programs for 4 day splits, also, do you write out programs where legs are split into 2 days per week seperating hamstrings and quads on different days.

Last one, and omst important for me, how should we contact you if I was interested in having a workout program designed by you for myself.

Thanx for your time coach and keep writing programs and teaching us!

[quote]climbon wrote:
It is pretty obvious you are a big fan of carb rotation diets to help with body composition. You also seem to prefer low(er) intensity cardio/energy system work to decrease bodyfat and help maintain LBM. When would you use intervals or other forms of energy system work for body comp. changes only? (obviously you will work different energy systems with your athletes) Do you change your recommendations for different body types, metabolisms, etc.? For example, would someone with a fast metabolism benefit more from lower intensity cardio than intervals to burn off bodyfat?

Thanks[/quote]

For body comp purposes I will use intervals the day after a high carbs day.

Hello:

For a person over 40 which of your programs would you recommend for them. I am 42 years old and am 6’ and weigh 205lbs. My bodyfat is between 8-10%.I want to gain 10 more lbs. Thanks

[quote]Original_Demon wrote:
Here’s one for ya,

Is it possible to put on mass while remaining cut without using gear?

[/quote]

It depends on how lean you are. If you are “borderline cut” then it wont take much to hide you definition and the slightest gain in bodyfat will show. On the other hand, if you are ripped, even if you gain 3-5lbs of fat you’ll still be well defined.

Now, the real question becomes “is it possible to gain mass without gaining too much fat”. The answer is yea, but expect the gains to come slowly. But at least you wont have to diet hard to show your gains. It requires disciplined eating … a carbs rotation diet is best for that goal as it allows both high calories and low calories days. And you can adjust the ratio of both depending on how your body is reacting.

I read a post where you were asking another T-mag writer about corcyceps. What have you found out? It seems to increase blood flow. A guy at a Chinese pharmacy said it makes you feel more energetic.

Also, what is your opinion of Charles Poliquin’s “five elements” article?

[quote]cblasco wrote:
Christian,

I’m currently following a strength program based around a wave protocol. For each compound lift:

• 4 reps close to 4RM

• 3 reps close to 3RM

• 2 reps close to 2RM

• 4 reps at the weight I used for my 2nd set

• 3 reps at the weight I used for my 3rd set

• 2 reps, setting a 2RM PR

Lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, weighted pull-ups, military press; I split these lifts in 3 different days, with 2-3 days rest in between.

Goals: my main goal is size, but the purpose of this program is to get stronger before I change into a more hypertrophy-oriented protocol.

My question: for how long do you feel that I should follow this program? As long as I make progress? I am wary about over-training or injuries, I guess…

Thanks[/quote]

3-4 weeks. when you feel some pain in your joints, it’s already too late: the damage is done.

[quote]laquino1 wrote:
CT-

I’ve noticed in some of your programs that you have a shoulder only day routine. Is this something you feel is neccessary with most trainees or programs for 4 day splits
[/quote]

I feel that strong shoulders are important. Some coaches will argue that they get plenty of work from other exercises. Well the same could be said for biceps and triceps yet we still train them. I think that strengthening the shoulders is a good way to bulletproof them against injuries.

[quote]laquino1 wrote:
, also, do you write out programs where legs are split into 2 days per week seperating hamstrings and quads on different days.
[/quote]

Rarely. I once did, but when you think about it, most compound leg exercises will hit both hams and quads.

[quote]laquino1 wrote:
Last one, and omst important for me, how should we contact you if I was interested in having a workout program designed by you for myself.
[/quote]

You can email me at christianthibaudeau_1@hotmail.com

I’m sure you NEVER get article requests…but I’ve actually gained something from nearly every article you’ve written so…

Looking back you’ve done lower body, hamstrings, back, shoulders, biceps, traps…am I missing anything on body part specific workouts? I’d love to see a specific triceps or calves article from you, as you always have unique exercises and variations. Wouldn’t mind seeing another Rapid Fire (where you tackle a few topics quickly) either.

That’s all for today!

[quote]downintucson wrote:
I read a post where you were asking another T-Mag writer about corcyceps. What have you found out? It seems to increase blood flow. A guy at a Chinese pharmacy said it makes you feel more energetic.

Also, what is your opinion of Charles Poliquin’s “five elements” article? [/quote]

I have been using cordyceps for a while now and feel that it really enhanced the results I got from Alpha Male… Alpha Male increases LH production while condyceps mimicks LH. So you have a double whamming right there!

I like how Charles will always come up with something to get peoples talking. I’m not always 100% in agreement with what he says, but in this case I tend to agree with him.