Time For Creatine To Break Down?

Hey guys,

I recently just received my order of Biotest Surge and Biotest Micronized German Creatine. I was wondering, after I workout I don’t usually “slam” my Surge because I enjoy the taste of it and usually sip on it on the way back home. However, now that I am taking creatine I read about how creatine breaks down when in liquid. I was wondering if I have to “slam” my Surge now when I mix it with the creatine or will be able to still enjoy it :stuck_out_tongue: ?

I don’t know exactly how long it takes for creatine to break down, but I’m sure you’ll be fine as long as you aren’t letting it sit around for hours on end.

They don’t need to be mixed…why not mix the creatine with water in a separate bottle, slam that, then enjoy your Surge?

Well, creatine makes it through our digestive tract, so I’m sure it can handle sitting in your Surge for a little while.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Well, creatine makes it through our digestive tract, so I’m sure it can handle sitting in your Surge for a little while.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]
Schedel JM, Tanaka H, Kiyonaga A, Shindo M, Schutz Y. Acute creatine ingestion in human: consequences on serum creatine and creatinine concentrations. Life Sci. 1999 Oct 29;65(23):2463-70.

The aim of the study was to explore the effect of an acute dose of creatine (Cr) ingestion on serum Cr and serum creatinine (Crn) concentrations. Sixteen healthy subjects ingested a single dose of Cr (20 g) followed by the measurement of serum Cr and Crn concentration for 3 h up to a maximum of 6 h (n=6). In response to Cr ingestion a large rise in serum Cr concentration was observed (by 50 folds) occurring approximately 2 1/2h after the ingestion (peak value of 2.17 +/- 0.66 mmol x l(-1)). We also found a moderate but significant rise in serum Crn concentration averaging 13 % after 3 h (peak value at 99.5 +/- 10.5 micromol x l(-1)). A dose response curve obtained in two case studies, in whom different doses of Cr were ingested (0, 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 g and 0, 10, 20, 30 g), showed that serum Cr concentration as well as the peak time increased linearly with Cr ingestion. In addition, acute Crn ingestion (5 g) resulted in a substantial increase in serum Crn concentration (by 10 folds) but led to a minor rise in serum Cr concentration (by 2 folds). These results suggest that when acute doses of Cr are ingested in humans, the degree of conversion of exogenous Cr to Crn in the stomach and the gut can be considered as negligible following the first 6 h of ingestion. However, further studies are required to explore the prolonged effect of Cr on Crn metabolism.[/quote]

By the way, this one also comes in handy when debunking some of the claims used to market Kre-Alkalyn.

Read somewhere either on label or this site not to premix more than 24h so i dont think it matters. I put it in my shakes… so do most people