Bulldog: Leaning out the Old Dog

Now dont you go and cry little lady…

Damn someone said it…Words I can take to Heart

Caught the song a couple of weeks ago on one of the talk shows, may have been Fallon, and all I could say was “Whaat?.” Love it.

1 Like

Lower body mobility work… shit ton

Deadlift : speed pulls 10 x 1 @ 60% of 3rd attempt … doing speed pulls to find my groove and get my form dialed in. Plan on working up to a 90% single every three weeks.

Stiff leg deads: 2 x 5- 10 @ SW
Bent over swiss Bar rows: worked up to a top set for 6
Pulldowns: 3 x 8-10 @ SW
Bent over flyes: 2 x 8 - 10 @ SW
Heavy Standing Band Crunches: 4 x 10

This is so messed up! The tightness and tenderness in my right Glute Has ZERO impact on me pulling or squatting!!! I thought I was dancing with the Devil trying to pull and I was wrong :confounded: The ONLY thing it is having a impact is on me properly setting up on the Bench WTF!!! :rage:Talked to the the PT at work and she thinks part of the issue might be tightness in the hamstrings,

Seated Presses to the head: 2x5@SW, first time doing them Freaking stupidest movement ever !
Front raises: 2 x 10-12@SW
lateral Raises : 2 x 10-12 @ SW
Band push downs: 100 reps total
alternate DB: 2 x 10-12 @ SW

Ive may of said this before on here but Im pretty disgusted at myself after looking at my old logs :rage:

Bunch of mobility stuff to knock the rust off…

Squat : worked up to 2X5@395 *

• First set was my normal raw , wearing just a pair of knee sleeves and no Belt. Second set I went a little “Gear Whore” :blush: and slapped on a belt and a new pair of knee wraps. For clarification Ive never really gotten much out of knee wraps , Yes ive worn them in past meets but I never notice that big of a difference . Probably because I never use them in training enough along with not really wearing them tight nor spending much time working on wrapping them. Might as well get my head out of my ass and take advantage of them and see if I can get anything out of them this go around. I must have done something correctly between the Knee wrapping and wearing a belt I notice a BIG :astonished: difference one that I have never notice before.

Front squats (SSbar): 2 x 8-10 @ SW
Glute Ham raises: 4 X 10
Belgium squats: 2 x 10 @ SW
Standing Band Crunches: 4 X 10

Thats sums it up

1 Like

Random opinion… Certain popular writers for awhile have really been pushing the concept of training in the sub max range for strength gain for the long term. I agree with this notion… BUT I think the only real draw back of doing this is one might loose the ability to handle true max range % if done too long…

1 Like

I agree with this. I do spend a lot of time training submaximally. But I have to push up against my max when I close in on a meet or I can’t handle the weight. I simply lose the ability (whether physical or mental, who can say?) to manage a really heavy single.

I love to see this training cycle teaching an old dog new tricks!

-Its cool that you 2 mentioned needing to spend some time with the big weights, when training with the low weights. We are talking about just this idea in another thread.

Honestly Id say its both Physical and mental… case in point I ve done 400 x 15 on squats. Which should have put my max at around 600. But during that period I wasn’t even lifting any where near over the 85% range of that number… even though technical I had the potential strength to do it based on my rep ability at a lower working % . At the time my actual ability to venture into that weight range wasn’t going to happen IMO due the fact I was NOT adapted to handle 600 :sob:

What thread is talking about this issue I wouldn’t mind adding my 2 cents in? Honestly… this goes back to what I mentioned a few days ago regarding my bad habit Ive formed about not trusting my own knowledge and instincts and just being lazy and using canned programs.

In Bigger/Faster, combining “SS and hypertrophy.”

We know we need to adjust our training here and there, and we know some stuff needs to stay “in” all the time. Right now, we are trying to figure out how.

So far, we have agreed that planning this sounds easy, but implementing it can be confusing. The best guys just know how do it. The rest of us are just trying to follow along.

I’m interested in your thoughts about training. I like to read logs and see the wheels turning in people’s heads.

Took a look at the thread… got some reading to do.

Its mostly just kicking ideas around. You are actually training a “young sports athlete” and an “experienced lifter” for a lifting competition.

The stuff you are going through now will take it out of the books, and move it into the real world.

You may need more recovery time. Your son may need more practice with the lifting commands. How will you guys balance this stuff? Your son just spend years building up his level of conditioning through high school sports. What stuff can he skip, that you need? Real programming!

Like i said I will read through what been said in the thread and see is I got anything of value to add…:grin:

Ok, got yah…Basically, you are talking the difference between theoretical principles and their actual real world applications.

Thats the part of the reason I dont venture much outside of this forum… you end up having debates with allot of beginners and some intermediates regarding what they have read online or in a book. Case in point a few years ago we had a 500 plus raw bencher in here with years of experience being told by some Tool he was doing stuff wrong. Which from my own experience from trial and error I find to be nonproductive or complete Horse shit on my end.:smiling_imp:

Tired and Beat up… Feeling the fire under my ass . Wouldnt mind if I had several more month to get ready for this Meet. Paying the price for not lifting Heavy for awhile starting to noticing some weak links in the chain.The only saving grace is the fact that by theory it takes a long time to build strength but it also takes a long time to lose it also. Still its going to suck when Dakota blows up PR after PR during the Meet and Ill be just be doing it just to do it…:unamused:

Bench : worked up to 2 x 5 x @ 335… ugly grinders

WELL CRAP…Like a idiot i went with my wider Bench. BIG MISTAKE for some reason I cant never seem too engage my Lats on it well on it. SOOO instead of having tight lats as a breaking system for eccentric part of the lifts my biceps had to do it. Well slightly tweaked the left one shut it down for the night. FREAKING MORON

SON OF A BITCH!!!.. Like I said a few post ago. The strength is there just not use too lifting in the heavier ranges.

I am going to have to eat shit and maybe pull back on my expectations for Bench.