Bulldog: Leaning out the Old Dog

Thanks , i guess ill keep them…Yep… did some box squatting as an assistance movement? Did those in a relatively close stance I’d say I brought it in by 4 -6 inches taking my hips out of it somewhat. I was surprised by how much my quads had to actually work to complete the four sets I did with a very modest amount of weight. I use to be a very high bar quad dominate squatter … looks like I’m going to have to address the issue.

No worries always up for good conversation…

Don’t know if I qualify as one of the 3 strongmen you mention… But, I definitely agree with Tates newer take on it. Makes more sense to me than someone spending a huge chunk of their time trying to bring up an attribute which they might NOT possess in spades while not developing one they do have to its full potential. In reality sometimes one has to play up to their strength to get ahead.

Well now that we are on the subject……

I pretty much have the view point as Dave Basler does… I just try to move the bar explosively as he describes. Besides, that’s how most should be doing it unless you’re into the whole tempo bar speed thing .Ed Coan has a similar philosophy in that regards moving the bar explosively in training and has never done any type of separate dynamic work.

Personally I just feel that the whole notion of dynamic work has been overstated over the years to a degree… based on the popularity of Westside Barbell. This might sound like blasphemy to the diehard faithful. Ironically, Simmons only introduced speed work on the main lifts because he found he was able to get his guys under the bar more often and not totally destroying them. Of course I won’t go into the subject that most Westside of principles IMO are more costume suited for equipped lifting. That’s a shit storm I don’t want to get started.

The only lift of mine that I have ever seen any improvement in by adding dynamic work has been on the dead’s. I should change that to say explosive work such as actual cleans… which really forced me to be really be fast with a sub max weight.

The whole dynamic thing for the main powerlifting movements tends to falls into a gray area for me … It has its benefits for some. I will say this and will argue this point… It’s a complete waste of time for beginners and most hobby lifters whom haven’t reached a certain level of strength.

1 Like

If I may, all my main lifts I try to do explosively. I lift so I can throw things far and slow don’t throw. If you train slow your muscles get use to moving at a slower speed and the key to throwing is F=MA.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Its good to hear the same thing from guys training(or training others) for different sports.

Bulldog, of course you’re one of the three! Also, you could count double or triple because you’ve had your sons for guinea pigs.

LOL , yeah I have to admit I do turn my sons into guinea pigs from time to time

Back-hamstring-biceps LIGHT

Stiff leg deads: 3 x 5 x 315
Lat Pulldowns: 5 x 12-20
Glute Ham raises: 40 reps total …Oh my hammies, planned on 50 but that was all she wrote
Seated alternated DB curls: 3 x 10-15

Dakota got credited with a 405 squat in PE today…

Possible PL meet In the APA for Dakota in late August before he heads to school this fall., Someone might do it along side him. Maybe I am just talking out my ass … My wife claims I have a bad habit when im worked up and make rash decisions. I think it might be time to get of my ass and get back into the groove . Looking over stuff since I tore my left shoulder up and had it worked on I haven’t done shit…training been spotty at best and im just going through the motions to be honest. I hate to admit it to myself but the passions for this shit has diminished. It comes down to the fact I have a competitive streak that drives my ass…unfortunately, i haven’t been competing in anything for awhile. Bottom line I HAVE GROWN BORED!!!
I honestly think doing a meet will relight a fire under my ass…

1 Like

Go for it. Re-light the fire

1 Like

And throw a little gas on it if you have to.

Oh dang, I’m into this trip for sure!

Following for the meet video.

I have trouble staying motivated lifting if I’m not pointing towards a meet or at least a very defined set of goals. Sign up now and commit to it my friend.

A few gallons should do … I think

Might be a interesting trip or a complete shit show…we will see.

You are going to have a 3 months wait on that one.

Im the same way…I know for a fact im not the type to do any type of exercise for something as vague as being “Fit”

1 Like

Pressing (chest,shoulders,triceps)- light

Seated DB press: 3 x 12-20
Incline press: 2 x 12-20
Lateral raises: 6 x 15-20
Push downs: 4 x 15 - 20… had planned on 6 sets but the triceps were trashed

Clarification…light doesnt mean using light weight in this case. Trying to use maximum amount of weight in a pre determine weight range. On these days im trying to give my carcass a break and really focus on trashing the working muscles by upping the volume while decreasing in between breaks on sets, along with lowering the intensity. FYI… when I say intensity im referring to actual % range of my 1RM not the made up notion of hard it feels.

1 Like

Game plan… For the Meet in August. No major changes at this point, plan on doing a short 5 week or so peaking cycle for myself.