Time For a Change!!!!

Hello everyone!!!
Well i finally got a place to put all my equipment and got a new bench. And its time i change from a dumbbell only routine. My goal is strength. I am 16 years old, i’m weight 170lbs and 5’11".

I have been on this routine for a week now :

A. day:
benchpress 3x10
one-arm row 3x10
flys 3x10
front pulldown 3x10
upright row 3x10
curl 3x10
shrugs 3x10
kickbacks 3x10
military press 3x10
weighted punchs

B. day:
squat 3x10
leg extension 3x10
straight-leg deadlift 3x10
calf raises 3x10
situps 3x10
weighted twist 3x10
side bend 3x10

4 days a week
ABXABXX
A-upper body
B-lower body
X-cardio

But everyone i have talked to about it tells me i wont get much gain. I’m still in my begginer stages. I dont take supplements cause my parents think they are unsafe and their is no way of me convicing them other wize. Well tell me if you think my posted routine is good or not and what i should change.

I got the info to build this routine from someone one this site. Well thanks to all who help me!!!

Eliminate about half your exercises, or rather, cut your overall volume in half, especially on your upper body day. Just forget the weighted punches, you are doing nothing productive… at all, you are only damaging your joints from your wrists to your shoulders, pnches with weights in your hands is possibly dumber than any other thing I’v ever seen people do in the weightroom, just stop while you’re ahead.

for a good template to work from, look up “west side for skinny bastards” by Joe Defranco. Its also an upper lower split and you’ll be able to improvise a lot of different things with your home gym.

[quote]mcheezy wrote:
Hello everyone!!!
Well i finally got a place to put all my equipment and got a new bench. And its time i change from a dumbbell only routine. My goal is strength. I am 16 years old, i’m weight 170lbs and 5’11".

I have been on this routine for a week now :

A. day:
benchpress 3x10
one-arm row 3x10
flys 3x10
front pulldown 3x10
upright row 3x10
curl 3x10
shrugs 3x10
kickbacks 3x10
military press 3x10
weighted punchs

B. day:
squat 3x10
leg extension 3x10
straight-leg deadlift 3x10
calf raises 3x10
situps 3x10
weighted twist 3x10
side bend 3x10

4 days a week
ABXABXX
A-upper body
B-lower body
X-cardio

But everyone i have talked to about it tells me i wont get much gain. I’m still in my begginer stages. I dont take supplements cause my parents think they are unsafe and their is no way of me convicing them other wize. Well tell me if you think my posted routine is good or not and what i should change.

I got the info to build this routine from someone one this site. Well thanks to all who help me!!![/quote]

If your goal is strength you could probably do better than 3x10. I would lower the reps and increase the effort.

Drop the kickbacks and do some close grip bench presses, skull crushers or pushdowns instead.

Why no conventional Deadlifts?

Also if you do increase the intensity you may find that you can’t do justice to too many big exercises. One solution would be to create 2 upper body workouts, 2 lower body workouts and split the big exercises between them (eg. one based around horizontal push/pull, one based around vertical push/pull, one based around the Squat and one based around the Deadlift).

You say you’ve been doing this for a week, how are you finding it (obviously not in terms of progress)?

Not looking to offend you or anything, but as a beginner, the best idea is to follow a routine by one of the guys writing for this site.

I wish I had known about this place a couple years ago. You’re plan isn’t going to cut it for strength, like the guy above, I recommend Defranco’s WS4SB. You really can’t go wrong with it. Work on your chin ups … you won’t regret it.

Yeah, I strongly suggest compound movements and olympic lifts such clean and jerks.

Plus for strenght your rep range is wayy to high! try to get to 5-8 range for optium strenght gains.

I got my template from this site:
exrx.net/Workouts/Workout2UL.html .

Im gonna take out kickbacks and the weighted punchs. Whats the best rep/set for strength? Im gonna give this routine a try for a month, but im changing the reps/sets. Everytime i work out i can feel it, like now i can barly raise my arms. Thanks.

i think your a troll

As far as best rep/set scheme for strength, you’ll get varying answers depending on who you talk to. However a beginner such as yourself really can’t go wrong with doing a 5x5 for the big compound lifts. It’s simple, effective, and will ease you into lifting heavy.