Time For a Change

Alright, I have a slight issue.

Since I’ve started training seriously, I’ve followed a 3-day-a-week program with a fair amount of success. This is the template I currently use:

1. Explosive Lift 6 x 3
  2. Lower Body Compound 5 x 5
    3A) Upper Body Push 5 x 5
    3B) Upper Body Pull 5 x 5
  3. Core 5 x 5
  4. Bodyweight GPP Circuit

Well, I’ve been doing this type of training for 6 months now and… I’m bored. So I’ve decided that I’m gonna’ give a 4-day-a-week upper/lower split a try.

Here’s where my problem comes in. All I really know is full body training and I don’t really know how I should set-up an upper/lower split. But I gave it a try anyway. So, I read a lot of articles and posts and here’s what I came up with:

Monday: Lower Body 1

1. 1-Arm Snatch 6 x 3
  2. Deadlift 5 x 5
  3. Full Contact Twist 5 x 5
  4. Lower Bodyweight GPP

Tuesday: Upper Body 1

1. Bench 5 x 5
  2. Row 5 x 5
  3. Barbell Roll-Out 5 x 5
  4. Upper Bodyweight GPP

Thursday: Lower Body 2

1. Clean Pull 6 x 3
  2. Squat 5 x 5
  3. Russian Twist 5 x 5
  4. Lower Bodyweight GPP

Friday: Upper Body 2

1. Push Press 5 x 5
  2. Pull-up 5 x 5
  3. Windmill 5 x 5
  4. Upper Bodyweight GPP

I love the pure simplicity of Squat/ Bench/ Row 5 x 5 style training and this split seems like it would simplify my training even further.

So what do you guys think? Is this a sound, well-balanced program? ? Since there’s less volume per workout, should I maybe consider a different set/rep scheme?

If you have any advice or wisdom to share, please do. As a T-Community, we are made up of some of the most intelligent, experienced lifters on the planet, so I expect you guys have some good stuff to say.

Oh, I almost forgot. Here are my goals:

1. Improve strength, power, and agility.

2. Gain 22LBS of LBM.

3. Improve lifting technique.

Any advice?

I would take one of the upper body days and also give it a “6x3” type schedule. One day heavy, one day lighter. Also GPP is that: General. No need to split it to upper and lower body.

BTW both these templates (3 and 4 day) are very good.

Lose the stupid barbell rows and try some chin ups or pull ups. When you can hit 5 sets of 8 reps at your bodyweight, add some weight to yourself.
The chin-up/pull-up is the upper body squat.

Thanks for the input guys.
Yeah, I’m still going back and forth on which one to stick with. I gave the “Lower Body 1” workout a try and I didn’t really have as much fun as I do with my 3-day-a-week plan.
I’m actually considering getting in touch with one of T-Nation’s fine coaches, such as Christian Thibadeau or Charles Staley, to help me design the right program for me. I’m not sure the price point on that kind of thing, though.

What are some things you do for the BW GPP (both upper and lower body)?

I really like the look of both templates.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
Lose the stupid barbell rows and try some chin ups or pull ups. When you can hit 5 sets of 8 reps at your bodyweight, add some weight to yourself.
The chin-up/pull-up is the upper body squat.[/quote]

There’s no reason not to do both pull-ups and bent-over rows.

Buckeye,
What I’ve been doing for the 3-day-a-week plan is pretty simple:

Pull-up: 8 reps (or AMRAP)
Iso-Explosive Push-up: 10 reps
Pistol: 10 reps each leg
rest 60 seconds repeat 2x

For upper/ lower:

Upper
Chin-up: 8 reps (or AMRAP)
Dip: 10 reps
Inverted Row: 10 reps
Push-up: 10 reps
rest 2 min., repeat 2x

Lower
Pistol: 10 reps each leg
Jump Lunge: 5 reps each leg
Squat: 20 reps
Jump Squat: 10 reps

rest 2 min., repeat 2x

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
The chin-up/pull-up is the upper body squat.

There’s no reason not to do both pull-ups and bent-over rows.[/quote]

I know!! They’re totally different movements tha train totally different functions.