Time for a Change

Hi all,

I’ve been a reader of T-Mag for a solid few years [easy 4 years], even keeping reading it on and off while I was only curling beer bottles and fast foods as exercise for the past year and a half, but this is my first real post.

I’ve decided now is the time for action [why now? just because damnit]. After 2 years of hard training and what I thought was clean eating I got nowhere, not a single strength gain, not an inch, nothing. No matter how much / little I ate, I didnt change my body composition or strength levels, and I know this because I’ve kept a food and training log for the past 4 years. Reading it is friggen depressing.

But reading it has taught me a few things:
1] Carbs and me are not good friends. My diets over the past have been low in fats and high in ‘good’ carbs [Oatmeal, bread that looks like its made of woodchips, fruits, vegetables].

2] I really don’t eat enough [how i’ve not lost mass on 1500 calories a day at 98kg (216 lb) is beyond me].

3] My lifting Personal Bests make me look like an anorexic japanese school girl.

To fix the above deficiencies I’ve come to the conclusion that the anabolic diet is for me. In the articles regarding the diet, a book is referenced, does anyone in Australia know where I can get this book [which I hope is called “The Anabolic Solution” as opposed to “Anabolic Diet”??], I can’t find anyone who has it listed in thier book database in my area, and the limited information that T-Nation is allowed to publish only goes so far.

My problem really is what kind of training should be used in conjunction with the diet to maximise fat loss / muscle retential [and growth due to my long lay off]?

My goals are firstly to actually have visible abs [through the cutting phase] and then cyclically bulk while staying relatively lean [which seems the point of the anabolic diet], with a final goal of being about the build CT has developed himself [the original goal was Vin Diesal’s build but CT looks ten times better].

Just for refence my stats are:
Height: 178cm [5’ 10"]
Weight: 98 kg [216lb]
Body Fat%: 35% [According to my mums Tanita bodyfat scales, following their instructions to a T - I think its closer to 30%]

Arms: 36cm [14"]
Chest: 112cm [44"]
Waist: 107cm [42"]

If anyone feels they need a good chuckle I can post my max lifts, or if it will help with anyone suggesting from experiance with programs.

NB. I chose the anabolic diet as my [mothers] family has a large sad history of overweightness, and my mother and grandmother have both commented that they have had success with Ketogenic diets, but were ‘unable to do it long term’. My fathers family however were genetic freaks who would by and large gain 5kgs [11 lb] of muscle by walking to the letterbox to get the damn mail.

Thanks for any suggestions, and sorry for the Epic,

Dave.

[quote]NinjaDave wrote:

My problem really is what kind of training should be used in conjunction with the diet to maximise fat loss / muscle retential [and growth due to my long lay off]?

/quote]

I’d suggest any of the full body workouts on the site. In addition, do some high intensity cardio. CT has a good article on it.

I was looking at following his “Running Man” article for energy system work. I was also considering Renaissance Body Development for training, to see if the reason for my relative lack of strength / size development is overtraining related [with its relatively low volume of high intensity exercises] in addition to food related.

[quote]NinjaDave wrote:
does anyone in Australia know where I can get this book [which I hope is called “The Anabolic Solution” as opposed to “Anabolic Diet”??], I can’t find anyone who has it listed in thier book database in my area, and the limited information that T-Nation is allowed to publish only goes so far.

Dave.[/quote]

Dave, I’m in Aus and I ordered mine from the US on the internet. It took about a week to get here. You can also order the e-book on the web. Go to www.anabolicsolution.com/ebooks.asp

"Oatmeal, bread that looks like its made of woodchips, fruits, vegetables]. "

That’s too funny!