Time for a Change

I’m feeling a need to layoff some of the heavy work for a bit. I also need to build up my resilience, or endurance, or work capacity or whatever you call it. Being able to do more reps at the 50-70% type levels I guess.
So:Some questions.
Can I use a 6RM across the board for awhile?
and Density @70-80% of the 6RM?

The layout in another thread worked well for me today:

performing one explosive lift at the beginning of the session for activation…

For example:

1. SGHP then doing the squat workout
  2. Push press then doing the bench workout
  3. SGHP again, or power clean then doing the deadlift workout

I like the 5-4-3-2-1 scheme for the activation lift… that’s not the 5-4-3-2-1 HDL but rather:
1 x 5 @ 82.5-85%
rest
1 x 4 @ 85-87.5%
rest
1 x 3 @ 87.5-90%
rest
1 x 2 @ 90-92.5%
rest
1 x 1 @ 92.5-95%

then ramp to 6RM on the main lift
then Density @80% of the 6RM
carries
pullups
dips

@Dom: I read this & thought this question would really help you… How many sessions do you end when performance drops (the very second) rather than push through the workout? I think that’s the hardest thing for the motivated TNation reader who wants to be the absolute best they can be. That’s my biggest battle. I’ve made a few rules for myself and stick with them & have had my best results…it’s when I break them I get reminded of why I have them in the first place.

I hope that helps.

@Dom

There was a recent post concerning this subject. “BigMax” said he had been doing the layer system and superhero work for a few months, and he switched up to the following:

3x6
3x3
3x10

I’m assuming that is using the same movement for all 3 rep ranges. Probably something like 90% of 6rm,3rm,10rm. I’m thinking about trying it myself. Just a suggestion.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Dom: I read this & thought this question would really help you… How many sessions do you end when performance drops (the very second) rather than push through the workout? I think that’s the hardest thing for the motivated TNation reader who wants to be the absolute best they can be. That’s my biggest battle. I’ve made a few rules for myself and stick with them & have had my best results…it’s when I break them I get reminded of why I have them in the first place.

I hope that helps. [/quote]
Honestly Sput i do end them quickly when they are real bad. I mean immediately. Then i come back the next day and do teh same session again. That usually works fine. Right now, I’m really just looking for a change of pace for a cycle or 2. That’s one of teh reasons whay i want to run with the 6RM ramp, and then 80% of the 6RM. I did that today and banged out the 30 reps in 4 minutes. Maybe on the bench i will try one of the other Density’s.
Although running 6RM on Cleans and SGHP is a little rough on my huffing and puffing.:slight_smile:
I’m gonna give it a whirl unless CT tells me different.

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
@Dom

There was a recent post concerning this subject. “BigMax” said he had been doing the layer system and superhero work for a few months, and he switched up to the following:

3x6
3x3
3x10

I’m assuming that is using the same movement for all 3 rep ranges. Probably something like 90% of 6rm,3rm,10rm. I’m thinking about trying it myself. Just a suggestion. [/quote]
Thanks.
Crowbar also does a little like what you say. And he’s around my age, and a lot more experienced than I am. Read what i wrote to Sput for the rest.
Thanks again guys