T Nation

Time for a Change?

I’ve been lifting for fat loss for the last 7 months, in that time i’ve lost 99lbs (trust it to be there). First two months I followed a very silly split routine (stupid in terms of it wasn’t ideal), but I poured every ounce of effort into my workouts. Currently 105.7kg (233lb) @ 23.2% body fat (according to electrical impedance machine at the gym, where they stick little electrodes on feet and hands, not as good as calipers, but better than the coin op drug store ones!)Was 134kg 36.4% in September, lost about 4.5kg of LBM in that time.

For the last 5 and a half i’ve been doing full body weights 3x a week and HIIT/Cardio twice more.

My routine is currently

Squat or Deadlift alternate each W/O
Bench Press
Dip
Pull Up/Inverted Row superset (I can only manage 3-4 WG Pulls, so I do as many as possible then IR’s to make up at set of 10)
Push Press/DB Shoulder Press.

Ab work-Laying leg raise w/Med Ball (arms and legs meet in the middie), planks and Dead Bug (+variations)

Might throw in some bicep/tricep iso work, but it’s not imperitive at this stage.

HIIT is

10x1 min intervals on rowing machine (45s hard/15r)
10x DB Swings on each arm (30s rest)x10
10x DB Snatch on each arm (30s rest)x5
Tabata Sissy Squats.

I used to Squat and DL in the same session, but when I started pushing myself heavier, I found I couldn’t handle both in one W/O. Thrown out some exercises, like Incline DB Press as the gym I use has missing DB’s (30kg…then 36kg) and I prefer Flat BB bench. Lateral Raises went as it wasn’t my delts holding me back! I used to use an assist for Pull Ups and Dips, now do bodyweight.

For now, progress seems to have stalled. I havent lost a dickie bird for 2 weeks, although the mirror tells me i’m leaner, but then we have a habit of seeing what we want in the mirror. (veins a little more pronounced in wrist and forearm when I clean the bar up for shoulder pressing, the viceral fat on my belly has changed shape). Perhaps a little water weight, as i;ve had my tuna in brine and 2 tortillas yesterday, i bloat quite nicely on carbs, but had no other options.

Typical Diet is

Pre Breakfast:2 HOT-ROX Extreme /3 BCAA
Breakfast:2 eggs, one wholemeal toast, double scoop protein shake (Reflex Peptide Fusion. Biotest is a nightmare to find in the UK) 2x Flameout
Snack:100g tuna in water, cucumbers
Lunch:250g chicken salad, dressed with EVOO
About 1330:2x HOT-ROX Extreme
Snack:100g Tuna in water, cucumbers
Pre W/O: 3x BCAA
PWO:Whey Protein shake, 3x BCAA
Dinner:Lean meat (Steak/Chicken) or steamed fish, with steamed/roasted veggies, 2x Flameout
Snack:Handfull Almonds w/double scoop protein shake, 3x BCAA

When I last added everything up, there was about 260g protein, 2200-2300 kcals a day. I’ve forgotten the carb and fats breakdown, but I try and make sure I get as much good fat as possible, and keep carbs sensible, mostly from veggies, except the slice of bread in the am.

I’m planning on weighing in again tomorrow evening, and hope to have shifted some water weight if it is that, but to be honest the routine i’m doing is getting pretty boring. I was thinking about changing to do 8 weeks on the Waterbury Summer Project as a new stimulus.

To set this up I was considering the following

Tomorrow: HIIT as normal
W:High Rep machine weights session, just to do something.
T:Rest
F:Set rep maxes relevant to the program
Sat:HIIT as normal
Sunday:Rest

Monday:Start WSP.

Any issues that you can see with that? I’ve read an awful lot over the last 6 months, and think that should do things. Would you even recommend a change after 2 weeks of no scale change? I’ve got a tiny bit stronger, but not sure that its significant when I was losing 3lbs+ a week before and have now stalled to nothing.

GREAT JOB!!!

How are the mesurements and how are the clothes fitting the scale is useless for the most part now are you losing inches, getting stronger??

Great job!

What BCAAs are you taking and have you had a look at myprotein.co.uk might be cheaper in the long run especially the 5kg for £34 or 2kg for £20 even discountsupplements.co.uk is a good deal

I love the fact you are doing rowing workouts!

Echoing Phil–nice job,

But one thing stands out to me. You are starving yourself. There is no way that a 230lb man with aprox. 170-18-lbs of lean mass working out on that schedule can make any improvements in any facet of physical fitness at 2200-2300 cals a day.

That is what it takes to breath my friend. I would first and formost go into a recovery mode for a couple of weeks. Then assess new goals and set up a plan. But I can promise you this, you will only lose muscle at that caloric intake given your parameters.

Also your interval work is interesting. I’ve never seen anyone be able to truly push for on a 3:1 ratio of sprint:rest. Also, I’m a bit confused with your HIIT. Do you do all of that as onew session? Because you couldn’t possibly do tabata after rowing after snatches after…do you see my confusion.

HIIT is really a 4-10 minute push with some warm-up and cool down periods. Especially for someone of your size after being your previous size. That would not suggest high performance athlete in your previous life.
Chill out a bit.

Taking the questions one by one.

Phill-I havent done measurements, ever. But in terms of clothes sizes, i’ve gone from a tight XXL to a Large/Medium T-shirt and from 44" waist trousers to 36". I’m going to take some measurements in a minute actually, think that is going to be a better track of progress now.

Echelon-I used Biotest BCAA to start with (2x tubs), but Affordable Supps ran out when I went to reorder, so I swapped for Reflex BCAA’s, but doubled the servings so they are closer to the amount in the Biotest.

I havent used MyProtein yet, just took delivery of a 4kg bag of Peptide Fusion for £72, but MP is on the list of ones to try

Sasquatch-I do that ‘cardio’ workout as one session. I just push as hard as I possibly can for that 30 mins or so that i’m in the gym. The tabata is brutal at the end, but I am squatting as many reps as I can in each twenty second burst, same with the rowing, I pull as hard as I can for the 45s, keeping at a reasonable SPM - around 30-32. Its perhaps not ‘high performance athlete’ level, but its my honest best.

How many further calories would you suggest adding?

To be honest, the way i’m trying to stay clean with the eating fills me up massively. The piles of veggies take care of that. Would you suggest adding, say some extra nuts to bolster the calories and fat content of my day? Perhaps some with my mid-am snack? Add EVOO to those snacks to the tune of 1tbsp?

Some days i’m pushing 300g of protein, never below 250g/

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)/

Sorry to bust you in the balls

Phenomenal work. Good to see someone taking this shit as serious as cancer.

It all looks pretty good. For your diet I would say that it might be ok to start adding in some less lean meats. replacing the tuna cans for some lean ground beef might really help.

Those extra fats will really give you that energy to put your balls in. And since you seem to be eating very very low sugar [except for that totally random piece of toast. why not just skip that for another egg?] then the extra fats wont likely hurt.

If you start gradually working your way up to about 3000 cals per day I think that your metabolism will begin to grow again and you can create a nice metabolic environment. It will also help the lean mass grow, very important.

I’m like 95kg and going to go down to 88 and my diet consists essentially of 1kg of ground beef, pickles [I need vinegar], 300g of lentils [PWO, 24g fiber] and PWO shake. And that puts a much smaller guy like me at about 3000. And that’s cutting for me. 250g protein. So you should be ok, esp with your dope energy systems day.

Speaking of which, If you are looking to Find a funner/better/different mode of evaluating your rowing try using the calories system. It’s totally wrong and does not count the actual amount of calories but…

You can start scheduling your row intervals by rowing to hit calorie levels instead of time. This way you have a quantifiable goal instead of “just go” for however long. The reason I think this makes a HUGE difference is that the faster you go the less time you have to row. Therefore, the time your rowing is far more intense and closer to 100% max.

thing is over the cousre of a few athletes I’ve switched from timed intervals to goal intervals. the results are that people work way harder when they can see the end and it is withing their effort to get there. but when the end will come no matter their effort they often perform at a lower intensity, seeking only to make it through.

None of this is to say that you are not putting three nuts into every interval. But I think that you will find “hidden” performance and results from goal based intervals.

For example: start at doing some 10 calorie intervals with the 15s break. You might get them in under 45s even and get more out of it metabolically. Then each week go up one calorie until you are rowing for about 20 cals.

A 20cal row in less than 1:20 is pretty monstrous. But once you get to 20 cals switch the damper [lever on the right side] up and start back at 15, or just take the break down a second.

Also, feel free to take longer breaks on your intervals. You get the breaks for “free” so to speak. As in you are in the same metabolic state for about 30s-1min after a sprint effort. So take that 30s and put more into the next interval.

You could also goal-base your other intervals by setting target numbers like; 30 DB swings/30s restx10. Then next week go for 32, then 34 and so on.

The key to keeping those results coming is progression. This is so important. So I’d say progress that cardio and make it goal oriented. This way you will know when you are working like a mule and when not.

If you get 15 cals done in less than 50s then you’re working hard. and you can see the progress. you can see visually and be rewarded by the fact that you are getting the same work load [15 cals] done in less time than before. And as such you get the reward of upping the workload. Make your energy systems as goal oriented as your weights and you will “look forward” to them [almost] as much.

Keep it up fella,

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:

Speaking of which, If you are looking to Find a funner/better/different mode of evaluating your rowing try using the calories system. It’s totally wrong and does not count the actual amount of calories but…

You can start scheduling your row intervals by rowing to hit calorie levels instead of time. This way you have a quantifiable goal instead of “just go” for however long. The reason I think this makes a HUGE difference is that the faster you go the less time you have to row. Therefore, the time your rowing is far more intense and closer to 100% max.

thing is over the cousre of a few athletes I’ve switched from timed intervals to goal intervals. the results are that people work way harder when they can see the end and it is withing their effort to get there. but when the end will come no matter their effort they often perform at a lower intensity, seeking only to make it through.

None of this is to say that you are not putting three nuts into every interval. But I think that you will find “hidden” performance and results from goal based intervals.

For example: start at doing some 10 calorie intervals with the 15s break. You might get them in under 45s even and get more out of it metabolically. Then each week go up one calorie until you are rowing for about 20 cals.

A 20cal row in less than 1:20 is pretty monstrous. But once you get to 20 cals switch the damper [lever on the right side] up and start back at 15, or just take the break down a second.

Also, feel free to take longer breaks on your intervals. You get the breaks for “free” so to speak. As in you are in the same metabolic state for about 30s-1min after a sprint effort. So take that 30s and put more into the next interval.

You could also goal-base your other intervals by setting target numbers like; 30 DB swings/30s restx10. Then next week go for 32, then 34 and so on.

The key to keeping those results coming is progression. This is so important. So I’d say progress that cardio and make it goal oriented. This way you will know when you are working like a mule and when not.

If you get 15 cals done in less than 50s then you’re working hard. and you can see the progress. you can see visually and be rewarded by the fact that you are getting the same work load [15 cals] done in less time than before.

And as such you get the reward of upping the workload. Make your energy systems as goal oriented as your weights and you will “look forward” to them [almost] as much.

Keep it up fella,

-chris[/quote]

I like that method. However the drag factor on a rowing machine is very specific to how heavy you are, assuming your are using a fan rower, see http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.php?article=damper_lever.

As a rower I would lean towards spilt (/500m), however that’s just another measurement, although you could always strive for a lower overall split or distance over your total HiiT rowing session, this would negate the need to mess around with drag settings.

Rowers no matter how fit/unfit they are always use a consistent drag setting for their weight although it has been known for coaches to purposefully prescribe lower drag factors, high SPM and the same splits (for a normal drag) for harder sessions

To meander back. I think you should set as 140, I am about 85kg and I use it. I would not recommend ramping it all the way up to the top, as you can really hurt yourself doing it constantly with poor technique. (http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/technique.php)

Which ever method of measurement is up to you.

PS Since you are doing a lot of 10-min pieces and nice benchmark test of progression would be a maximal 1000m test which would take hopefully eventually around 3:30. Although I would only do the test once a fortnight.

It will hurt

Fun time session plan!

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
Avocado wrote:

You can start scheduling your row intervals by rowing to hit calorie levels instead of time. This way you have a quantifiable goal instead of “just go” for however long. The reason I think this makes a HUGE difference is that the faster you go the less time you have to row.

Therefore, the time your rowing is far more intense and closer to 100% max.

If you get 15 cals done in less than 50s then you’re working hard. and you can see the progress. you can see visually and be rewarded by the fact that you are getting the same work load [15 cals] done in less time than before.

And as such you get the reward of upping the workload. Make your energy systems as goal oriented as your weights and you will “look forward” to them [almost] as much.

Keep it up fella,

-chris

I like that method. However the drag factor on a rowing machine is very specific to how heavy you are, assuming your are using a fan rower, see http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.php?article=damper_lever.

As a rower I would lean towards spilt (/500m), however that’s just another measurement, although you could always strive for a lower overall split or distance over your total HiiT rowing session, this would negate the need to mess around with drag settings.

Rowers no matter how fit/unfit they are always use a consistent drag setting for their weight although it has been known for coaches to purposefully prescribe lower drag factors, high SPM and the same splits (for a normal drag) for harder sessions

To meander back. I think you should set as 140, I am about 85kg and I use it. I would not recommend ramping it all the way up to the top, as you can really hurt yourself doing it constantly with poor technique. (http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/technique.php)

Which ever method of measurement is up to you.

PS Since you are doing a lot of 10-min pieces and nice benchmark test of progression would be a maximal 1000m test which would take hopefully eventually around 3:30. Although I would only do the test once a fortnight.

It will hurt

[/quote]

Yeah any object oriented mode of evaluation will be better than time. And the only reason i use the damper for anything other than leaving it at 5 is for a different feel every so often. It always makes its way back to 5. but playing with the damper is usually not needed given the different methods of measurement on the C2, it measures everything.

Other ideas would be to work up to a certain speed and then cut. A mate and I use to do our intervals based on getting to a 60s /500 for 2 readings after 20s. so row average pace for 20s and then bust ass to get to the 60s mark. awful times.

-chris

RE: the diet. Listen to Avocado. You can’t go much lower than you are now without risking metabolic slowdown. You need to gradually add calories back in, realizing that you might feel “softer” or even gain some weight (which will probably be muscle).

Get it up to about 3000 a day, using mixed nuts, pecans, walnuts, olive oil, coconut oil, whatever, in following your low carb plan.

Stay at 3000 for a while, and work on increasing your volume of activity to get leaner rather than dropping cals first. You can start dropping cals again later.

Lifting wise, try to increase the volume of your training, or change plans to a higher volume one. Cardio wise you’ve already got HIIT in the equation, so look at some slow speed cardio or hard hill hikes or something.

Just do it once a week to start, after your weights. It’s a good way to increase caloric expenditures. The way your sample schedule is set up, I would do it on Wednesday after your high rep weights session. Keep your 2 rest days in there.

What does WSP stand for?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
RE: the diet. Listen to Avocado. You can’t go much lower than you are now without risking metabolic slowdown. You need to gradually add calories back in, realizing that you might feel “softer” or even gain some weight (which will probably be muscle).

Get it up to about 3000 a day, using mixed nuts, pecans, walnuts, olive oil, coconut oil, whatever, in following your low carb plan. Stay at 3000 for a while, and work on increasing your volume of activity to get leaner rather than dropping cals first. You can start dropping cals again later.

Lifting wise, try to increase the volume of your training, or change plans to a higher volume one. Cardio wise you’ve already got HIIT in the equation, so look at some slow speed cardio or hard hill hikes or something.

Just do it once a week to start, after your weights. It’s a good way to increase caloric expenditures. The way your sample schedule is set up, I would do it on Wednesday after your high rep weights session. Keep your 2 rest days in there.

What does WSP stand for?[/quote]

I think it means “Chad Waterbury summer project” as in the program.

And when aragorn says adding in some slower speed cardio he does not mean running. You’ve been SMART enough already not to run.

Big fella + high Q angle x jogging around like a january asshole = FAIL

So think about WALKING up stairs, early morning walks with some extra weight in a bag or hill hike/walks. When doing slower cardio pretend you’re getting paid, walk, don’t run.

As for Changing the program up WSP is pretty good and super interesting. I personally find EDT to be much more versatile and progressive. I like doing my own setups so maybe thats why. Any how look up Escalated Density Training by Charles Stayley.

Basically you pick two lifts and alternate sets for certain time period [10, 15 or 20 min] and see how many sets a/o reps you can get in that time. you progress by getting more sets/reps in each workout. After you get a certain amount extra you up the weight.

It’s super dope and really put my deadlift and mil press through the roof when i did it for sets of 3 over 15 mins.

For fat loss I usually do sets of 5-7 [10RM-14RM] or sets of 15 with 50% 1RM. It’s super challenging and the bonus is you wont need to work in any extra HIIT work. At most you just need to add some prehab after you warm up then go.

-chris

This thread just goes to show how if a good question well research post is made then even better posts will follow. Gold dust.

Park your car one block further away
Get off public transport one stop early
Take the stairs down as well as up
Stretching sessions

All are part of NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis)( http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/levine_lab/about.cfm ) and should not become dedicated sessions, apart from stretching (but that’s very light, warm up could be 50 bw squats low tempo and some windmills).

Shit the bed, I did my measurements last night. Shocked me to be honest.

Belly/Waist 41.5
Thigh 25.5
Calf 18
Ankle 10.5
Chest 43.7
Belly/Nip Line 39
Shoulders 51
Neck 16.5
Upper Arm (L) 15.6 (smallest arm)

I thought I was down to a 36 waist! The majority of that is subcutanious, which as I get leaner will go. Hell, if I just got rid of the ‘love handles’ it’d drop by about 4 inches!

Thanks for the advice. I will try to start adding in some extra food. Last week just as a change, I was eating strips of steak and green peppers/onion instead of tuna. Perhaps if I keep that as a more regular thing, add some extra nuts in there that would work for some extra calories.

I added a tbsp of chilli enfused EVOO (only EVOO with chillis sat in the bottom, no effect to the nutritional profile) to my tuna pots this morning. Was a nice taste difference and one I enjoyed.

The random bit of toast stayed in because I felt that it was something I could take out when the progress halted, I flirted with the idea of a Keto diet a little while ago, but decided it was too soon. Been a bit of a carboholic all my life. I pretty much ate everything in between 2 slices of white bread! Would you suggest chucking that one for just an extra egg? Maybe add nuts in after/with breakfast? Fits nicely in with the Massive Eating principles better that way, as it makes it a straight protein/fat meal rather than protein/fat/carb!

To be honest, its a scary thought adding food, but adding food hasn’t seemed to do me much harm so far. I’m going to add up the macro’s again soon, just to get a handle on exactly what i’m eating. I found a set of measuring cups the other day in the drawer. Should make it easier than cracking out the scales all the time.

With the workout stuff, I used to row, so I have good technique, still hear the old mantra of “Hands away, then slide. Push with your legs then finish with the arms” that my old coach use to say! At the moment I get about 210-215m in the 45s, with a sub 1.50s/500m. I’m going to give the more target based stuff a go though, I can definately see the benefits from doing it that way.

Lately i’ve been sticking to a lot of low rep, heavy sessions, so maybe time to up the volume a little bit, alternating sessions between heavy/low rep and higher rep sessions. Fundamentally there is nothing wrong, I dont think in my situation for compounds, but progress had started to slow so I felt a change was in order.

As i’ve avoided running, I think as you said, i’m still heavy enough for it to be smart to stay away from it. I think i’ll stick with what i’m doing weights wise, add a 20min incline treadmill walk PWO and keep the energy systems days in.

With any luck the few ‘prep days’ I did for Waterbury Summer Project, provided a bit of a different stimulus jump for last week, and acted as a sort of deload week as although I was still working hard, it was something nice and different.

[quote]sidewalkdances wrote:

Lately i’ve been sticking to a lot of low rep, heavy sessions, so maybe time to up the volume a little bit, alternating sessions between heavy/low rep and higher rep sessions. Fundamentally there is nothing wrong, I dont think in my situation for compounds, but progress had started to slow so I felt a change was in order.

[/quote]

Change the compound exercise not the principal doing low heavy sessions with shorter time periods should give you a nice kick start. Have you “deloaded” off the heavy weights ever?

Yeah I have had a couple of deload periods, not for a few weeks mind. Hopefully the week I had last week, setting up the weight for the WSP rep ranges (a lot of 12-14 rep sets and single limb movements) will help.

I will try dropping the rest to around 30s per set, then set up time for the next exercise as post exercise rest.

So say squats as an example

Squat
Rest 30
Squat
Rest 30
Squat
Rest 30
Squat
Rest 30
Squat
Rest 30

Set up for Bench Press.

Are you saying I should change the exercises that i’m doing? Can you give some suggestions if so? The ones I can think of are

Deadlift-SL DB DL
BB Bench-Incline DB Bench
Dip-Push Up
Pull Ups-Inverted Rows
MP-Alternate Standing DB Presses

Should I do some sort of single leg movement for squats? Front Squats? For some reason I struggle with front squats to keep the bar from slipping. I can front squat about 100kg, probably more, but the bar starts to really slip after about 3-4 reps so i’ve never pushed it. Any tips on this? I’ve been doing it arms crossed style. Would straps and straight arms help perhaps?

Maybe overhead squats? I don’t have access to a power rack/squat rack so i’m pretty limited, I have to use a bench press rack and duck under to squat at the moment.

I’ll take the NEAT stuff into concideration. Try and leave the house earlier so I can park a little further away in the mornings. I never use elevators if possible. There arent any at work anyway.

Hey SWD, I dunno how I missed your post when I was on here yest, but anyway, you seem to have alot of good info here in the replies.

I think not a radical change, but just a little tweeking is req’d like has been said, a few more cals, some slightly different cardio etc etc.

Here is a link to an article on cardio progressions which might also give you some good ideas:

www.precisionnutrition.com/exercise-progressions

If you want to mix your prog up, I too would say give EDT a try. I did it for a few weeks for a change of pace. It is certainly a fun way to train and makes a for good change.

And remember, progress isnt totally linear. You may go for weeks without progress and then smash through old barriers in a day.

Change if you’ve finished a program or if you are bored after doing a program for a while. But hasty change without prep would be bad. Although, you seem to have the WSP sorted and I think you will enjoy it.

-chris

Just a little update, I got to the gym yesterday and started to set up the bar as usual for squats, and realised just how bored I was. I had no enthusiasm to squat, but plenty of enthusiasm to train. So I went downstairs, grabbed the sheet for the WSP and did a session on that. It was tough but enjoyable at the same time.

However, I just got a look at EDT, and it look phenominal to break me out of this rut that i’m in. If I just continue to bust my ass on WSP this week, then go over to EDT starting on Monday. Some of the exercise selections for EDT will be easier for me to do in the gym I train at, as I mentioned, there is no power rack! I’m going to switch gyms soon as its frankly ridiculous.

With EDT, did any of you add a cardio day? As I read it its a M-T-T-F program. I was thinking of doing the program as prescribed, add 20 mins incline walking at the end of the session and maybe a cardio day if I can manage it on the Saturday. Or do…

M-Cardio
T-EDT
W-EDT
T-Off
F-EDT
S-EDT
S-Off

Would that work? It also means that I can start today! I can add the cardio progressions in still on the Monday. Do that for about 4 weeks then review again. Also, EDT by the looks of things will allow me to get my ingrown toenail taken care of and still be able to non impact train.

Avocado, so true on non linear progress, i’ve been lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it as except for 2 weeks in September, my progress has been pretty linear. So I suppose i’d started to expect that progress. Its trying to keep my head with it and not let it go to shit. Although, its kicked me in the ass, last night I took a girl out for her birthday, and honestly didnt have any reservations in swapping stuff out of my meal so that I was eating the right things.

Either that, or get my toe sorted out ASAP this week, and start next week.