T Nation

Time Before: 'Missed' Breakfast?

Sometimes, for whatever reason, I do not get up immediately upon waking. Usually when I wake up an hour or so earlier than I expected. I will end up sitting in bed for a while, maybe standing up and stretching or taking a piss. Check my email, news, whatever.

The longest I think I have dawdled like this has been about an hour, before getting up and making breakfast. Is that too much time after waking to wait before eating the first meal of the day? what variables might I consider to effect this? what exactly constitutes “missing” breakfast, in your book?

I’ve read from several sources that eating an hour after waking is the perfect time to eat breakfast, all your glandular juices are flowing or something.

Anyway, I know I missed breakfast after I’ve been hungry, stomach growling, for an hour or so.

I hear you man. Workdays obviously aren’t a problem, but weekends where I can sleep in or linger in bed for awhile the time can slip by without getting up and eating. I don’t think it’s the end of the world however, to ward off any undue catabolism I will slam some BCAA’s which are on my night-stand as their the last thing I take before slumber sets in.

D

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
what variables might I consider to effect this? what exactly constitutes “missing” breakfast, in your book?

[/quote]

How long were you in bed? When was your last meal before going to bed? Did you eat protein and fat before bed (something that will take awhile to digest) or carbs?

You can’t “miss” breakfast. Look at the word: Break-fast, as in “breaking the fast”. The fast being you not eating all not.

If you wait 1 hour, or 10 hours, whatever the first meal you eat after waking up is called “breakfast”.

I honestly don’t see a problem. Just get your lazy ass to the kitchen and swallow a shake and some oats.

Personally, I can hardly stomach anything within the first hour or so after I wake up, and definitely no solid food for two hours. So instead I take some BCAA’s with my coffee as soon as I wake up, then do a shake about an hour later.