Tim Sylvia's Worst Enemy?

Cro Cop broke Bob Sapp’s orbital bone with on overhand punch in thicker gloves than are used in the UFC. Tim Silvia should be scared.

[quote]treco wrote:
Is it just me, or does his posture and walk bear a striking resemblance to Carl from Sling Blade?

uh hummm
…some folk calls him a douche, but I just call him ufc hw champion

alright, then[/quote]

And some folks, like myself, don’t call him anything because they don’t live their lives vicariously through athletes.

Seriously, I’d never heard of the guy before this thread, and I really don’t care if he could beat up The Crow, or the Cop, or any other member of The Village People.

I just commented on his dorky posture/walk in a video someone posted. Ah, well, fanboys will be fanboys…

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
I wouldn’t say he was a bad fighter, boring certainly against Monson he did fuck all against an opponent giving up nearly a foot in reach with zero striking ability and if he can’t finish him because he is too cautious then I can not see who would want to watch him.[/quote]

One question: Did he WIN the fight? If he did, then your critique is meaningless. Unless, of course, you think fighting is strictly about entertainment. In which cases… Go watch some professional wrestling.

[quote]Creidem wrote:

I jsut think he takes away from teh fight broadcasts is all.[/quote]

I can agree with you on the “So you want to be an ultimate fighter?” annoyance. And I agree he sometimes talks as though he’s seeing the sport for the first time.

I think that may be why I’m not out and out disgusted with him. I interact with so many people who think the whole sport is grotesque (i.e. my wife) and Rogan spewing words like Kamura, half-guard, and guillotine is foreign to them, Goldberg does a pretty good job of smoothing that sort of thing over. And occasionally he says something completely hilarious. The most recent one I remember (can’t remember the fight):

Rogan: Yeah, X is coming out his corner ready to fight this round. He really looks ready.

Goldberg: Yeah, ready to get punched in the face some more.

But I’m neither here nor there overall.

IMO, the Natural has got too much of the calm, cool, “Dirty Harry” attitude. It’s like listening to NASA call a fight. He comes across great with pre-fight analyses and really conveys an air of expertise, but he isn’t announcer material.

Yes, he WON the fight. Good for him, he does deserve to wear the belt. However, as a consumer I have every right in the world to comment on the product that I purchase. And my comment is, that he is without a doubt the most boring fighter I have ever watched and having him on a card is a detriment to the product.

And if you are so delusioned as to think the UFC exists for any other purpose than entertainment then may Jebus have mercy on your soul…cause he already gave up on your brain. I’m tired of people saying that fans have no right to criticize, they exist because we buy, can’t get any simpler than that. Could Tim Sylvia beat me up? Of course he could, hence my earlier suggestion that I hit him with a car first before pretending like I beat him mano e mano, but if the fact that a professional fighter can beat me up is criteria precluding me from commenting on the sport then what fucking right does anybody have to watch any sport? And shouldn’t every announcer out there quit too? Seeing as how none of them could beat up Sylvia either?

Relax and enjoy the debate CL, I understand your point but it simply doesn’t change the fact that Sylvia is bad for the UFC and that he’s a royal bag of douche.

C

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
IrishMarc wrote:
I wouldn’t say he was a bad fighter, boring certainly against Monson he did fuck all against an opponent giving up nearly a foot in reach with zero striking ability and if he can’t finish him because he is too cautious then I can not see who would want to watch him.

One question: Did he WIN the fight? If he did, then your critique is meaningless. Unless, of course, you think fighting is strictly about entertainment. In which cases… Go watch some professional wrestling.[/quote]

[quote]Creidem wrote:
Yes, he WON the fight. Good for him, he does deserve to wear the belt. However, as a consumer I have every right in the world to comment on the product that I purchase. And my comment is, that he is without a doubt the most boring fighter I have ever watched and having him on a card is a detriment to the product. [/quote]

When did I ever say his fights were not boring? My points were addressed at the people who called him a subpar fighter.

[quote]Creidem wrote:
And if you are so delusioned as to think the UFC exists for any other purpose than entertainment then may Jebus have mercy on your soul…
[/quote]

I realize the plebians watch fights for “entertainment,” and not to appreciate the skill and technique involved. But I’m not a plebian. Are you?

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
treco wrote:
Is it just me, or does his posture and walk bear a striking resemblance to Carl from Sling Blade?

uh hummm

alright, then

And some folks, like myself, don’t call him anything because they don’t live their lives vicariously through athletes.

Seriously, I’d never heard of the guy before this thread, and I really don’t care if he could beat up The Crow, or the Cop, or any other member of The Village People.

I just commented on his dorky posture/walk in a video someone posted. Ah, well, fanboys will be fanboys…[/quote]

Fanboy - Haha. I was trying to parody Slingblade “Some folks call it a kaiserblade, but I call it a slingblade”

Kinda lost something in the translation without Karl’s inflection.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Creidem wrote:
And if you are so delusioned as to think the UFC exists for any other purpose than entertainment then may Jebus have mercy on your soul…

I realize the plebians watch fights for “entertainment,” and not to appreciate the skill and technique involved. But I’m not a plebian. Are you?[/quote]

If I were talking about fighters whose skill and technique I can appreciate, Tim Sylvia would not be in the conversation. He fights to not lose rather than to win. In his last three fights he has simply used his reach and length to wait out the round.

Yes, he has won his fights. unfortunately, that says more about the state of the HW division in the ufc. Yes, he deserves to be the champ. Now cro cop is here, and will likely defeat him, likely soundly, and this whole point will be moot.

[quote]treco wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
treco wrote:

uh hummm

alright, then

I just commented on his dorky posture/walk in a video someone posted. Ah, well, fanboys will be fanboys…

Fanboy - Haha. I was trying to parody Slingblade “Some folks call it a kaiserblade, but I call it a slingblade”

Kinda lost something in the translation without Karl’s inflection. [/quote]

Awww shit… Open mouth, insert foot.

My apologies, man, that went straight over my head.

Now that you’ve explained it to my dumb ass, that is pretty damn funny.

I’m usually sharper than this, really!

[quote]treco wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
treco wrote:

uh hummm

alright, then

Kinda lost something in the translation without Karl’s inflection. [/quote]

Just in case you haven’t seen it:

[quote]Colucci wrote:
Speaking of Sylvia (semi-off-topic, my apologies), what ever happened to Tra Telligman?

Last I heard, he went into a coma or something after that monster kick to the head from Sylvia last year. I couldn’t ever find a follow-up.

As to the OP, have you seen Sylvia on Blind Date? Enjoy the train wreck.
ufc heavyweight champion tim sylvia - YouTube [/quote]

Hahahaha! That was both great and absolutely disgusting. I hate posting threads and then never returning to my own thread, but I got tossed around the lab and the porcelain god and family for a while.

I’ve to to say, I’m only semi-onboard with the Goldberg hate. For some reason he doesn’t bug me nearly as much as TS. Still, as someone mentioned in another thread, they’ve got amazing commentary for boxing matches, wtf can they not do the same thing for UFC? Rogan, although highly excitable and prone to serious hyperbole, is ok in my book.

[quote]Creidem wrote:
Where do I begin my friend? Hmm, well, for starters…I’m pretty much a dick and just don’t like him but I swear I have a few reasons…

1. Yelling “SO YOU WANNA BE AN ULTIMATE FIGHTER?” 3-10 times A FIGHT!
  2. Not having a fairy-fucking clue what is going on but attempting to toss in learned commentary that only ends up sounding like the annoying kid in class that asks questions that they know the answer to just to look smart in front of the teacher…stuff like “locking in that choke really makes it hard for him to breathe doesn’t it Joe?”
  3. Something about his voice too, it just sounds so bloody artificial and falsely extra-deep

I jsut think he takes away from teh fight broadcasts is all.

i say give the job to the Natural, bas Ruten (sp?) did a pride fight and was really good I thought…but I say turn it over to Randy.

[/quote]

Totally correct in every way. Of course, when you repeatedly watch Bill Kazmeier’s (sic?) floundering attempts at WSM commentary, Goldberg seems almost good in comparison ;). Personally, I really enjoy the commentary Bas has. If you put both Bas and Randy ringside you’d be getting a great, great commentary.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Creidem wrote:

I realize the plebians watch fights for “entertainment,” and not to appreciate the skill and technique involved. But I’m not a plebian. Are you?

If I were talking about fighters whose skill and technique I can appreciate, Tim Sylvia would not be in the conversation. He fights to not lose rather than to win. In his last three fights he has simply used his reach and length to wait out the round.

Yes, he has won his fights. unfortunately, that says more about the state of the HW division in the ufc. Yes, he deserves to be the champ. Now cro cop is here, and will likely defeat him, likely soundly, and this whole point will be moot.[/quote]

I agree with you Creidem. I don’t think he is that great of a fighter for the reasons you have just stated. He’s won his fights and deserves to be champ because of that fact, but the HW div in UFC is not too short of crap right now. Tim’s got very good natural advantages (reach/size/take damage). That’s about it. His technique is not polished, but neither is Chuck’s, so that doesn’t really bear a lot of criticism from me. I don’t watch UFC’s HW div. if most of the time because there is nothing there in comparison to other feds (I have really liked Pride’s HW in the past, and am a general fan of K-1 as well). CroCop is going to finally change that and give me something both entertaining and technically sound and educating to watch.

Someone said before that CroCop is far beyond anyone but maybe GSP in terms of technical striking skills. I don’t agree entirely, but I do think that most people who have great striking skills in the UFC gives up 60-80lbs to CroCop. Hence they will never meet.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Totally correct in every way. Of course, when you repeatedly watch Bill Kazmeier’s (sic?) floundering attempts at WSM commentary, Goldberg seems almost good in comparison ;). Personally, I really enjoy the commentary Bas has. If you put both Bas and Randy ringside you’d be getting a great, great commentary.[/quote]

The Kaz is the best annoucer of all time. He makes the WSM
If you dont agree with me watch some of the older ones on ESPN Classic where he is not annoucing.