Tim Sylvia vs Mariusz Pudzianowski [Video]

[quote]jinsanity wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
yeah, i was kinda hoping Mariusz would win…

i think this was a bad mathc for him, partially due to Sylvia’s size and reach. also, Sylvia really does have good takedown defense.

but i was surprised how gassed Marisz was…it looks like he might have overestimated his cardio…[/quote]

you can be an elite triathlete and be absolutely gassed within 2 minutes in the cage.

strongman/mma
worlds apart
[/quote]

QFT
There is an aerobic component to a 15 minute fight that Strongman training doesn’t need to focus on.
Strongmen events don’t last as long for one, and have a different application of effort.
I would have thought his participation in rugby would have helped him out in this area, but that clearly wasn’t the case.

But but I thought strongman training was great for mma conditioning all the articles say it is.

Pudzianowski didn’t rush, it was his most cautious fight so far. Obviously he knows this, he even mentioned it after the KSW fight that his strong moments are the first two minutes.

Also, I’d expect a takedown or two from the world’s strongest man if he’s not totally fat or immobile.
However, if you cannot pin or position yourself, one takedown hardly means anythingapart from an ego boost, especially against a seasoned fighter. Add to this the Pudzia can’t strike (apart from his custom lowkick) for the love of Sheng Long.

Result: a fight that looked like Sylvia against a drunken bear without teeth or claws.

Mariusz has had some serious delusions about his fight career, let’s hope Tim has knocked sense into him.
It was easy to predict after his first bout that he will either fight cans or try the fast track (at some point A. Emelianenko awas mentioned), and even after the fight with the japanese guy it should have been clear that he hasn’t the tools to hang with the big guys (the fight against Kawaguchi was only two rounds!).

If I’d be his trainer, I’d tell him :

1. It’s either MMA or Strongman.
  2. Pudzianowski needs to ditch strength training completely and also lose some mass - badly. He’s too heavy for his own good. Every KG he drops will help developing conditioning and learning technique.
  3. He needs a different approach to training regarding his gas tank. Funnily enough, old-fashioned roadwork would probably be among the best tools here for pure conditioning.
    He’s totally hardwirded for explosivity and giving 100%, which seems awesome at first glance, but he has no clue how to compromise. In fighting, being slightly tensed, in a harmonous, positive fashion, interrupted by very short bursts (where you go 70-90%) is ideal. That’s totally different, and he needs to learn that.
  4. Techniquewise, he should concentrate first on clinch & takedowns. Then GnP & subs. Standup, where he shows remarkably little talent, should be his last priority.

[quote]
you can be an elite triathlete and be absolutely gassed within 2 minutes in the cage.
.[/quote]
Yes, fighting is different, but let’s be honest, it’s very, very, very probable that if you start MA and your background is in triathlon, you hardly need cardio at all, while as a strongman, you should add it to your to-do-list.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

Diaz bros.

[quote]jinsanity wrote:

yeah, i was kinda hoping Mariusz would win…

i think this was a bad mathc for him, partially due to Sylvia’s size and reach. also, Sylvia really does have good takedown defense.

but i was surprised how gassed Marisz was…it looks like he might have overestimated his cardio…[/quote]

strongman/mma
worlds apart
[/quote]

This is true to a certain extent, but having a good aerobic base allows you to recover faster.

Get more time sparring that’s what will give you fighting gas, not running like a long distance runner.

[quote]jinsanity wrote:

Lessoned learned, technique & experience > brute strength [/quote]

Didn’t Royce Gracie prove that in 1993?

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
Get more time sparring that’s what will give you fighting gas, not running like a long distance runner.[/quote]

Which is why road work is so important, right?

road work concept it’s sucks and it’s ineffective, sprints are better than every roadwork.

[quote]kingdpt wrote:

[quote]jinsanity wrote:

Lessoned learned, technique & experience > brute strength [/quote]

Didn’t Royce Gracie prove that in 1993?[/quote]

then invalidated the notion in 2008

sigh

1. i thought Marisuz would have better endurance, as he has fought a 3 rounder already, and therefore know what to train for. additionally, he’s already an elite ahtlete, and therefore should be aware of many training methods.

2. 15 min vs 5 min is a different energy system…Chad Waterbury wrote a kickass article explaining this… ( Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION )

3. i think Tim Sylvia is a dick, and wanted him to lose…

sigh

1. i thought Marisuz would have better endurance, as he has fought a 3 rounder already, and therefore know what to train for. additionally, he’s already an elite ahtlete, and therefore should be aware of many training methods.

2. 15 min vs 5 min is a different energy system…Chad Waterbury wrote a kickass article explaining this… ( Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION )

3. i think Tim Sylvia is a dick, and wanted him to lose…[/quote]

I don’t know why everybody bashes Tim Sylvia, he never talks trashes to anybody. Maybe just because he looks lanky and fight a safe game plan, but hey the guy was a UFC champ.

sigh

3. i think Tim Sylvia is a dick, and wanted him to lose…[/quote]
    Chad’s numbers for the energy systems were actually off quite a bit in that article. But honestly road work for this guy.

It’s no coincidence that many of the most skilled fighters (BJ, Fedor, Anderson, Rua, Machida, etc…) look like crap. Mariusz is fighting an uphill battle because he is training MMA for the first time with superhuman strength levels, the complete opposite of what is optimal for learning solid fundamentals.

Don’t know about that. Lesnar may have a little less muscle than Pudz, yet more weight, and appears to have a fantastic gas tank for a HW. Carwin is said to have cardio to last rounds (never seen).

I guess what I’m saying is that it isn’t impossible to have that much muscle and decent cardio. It’s a combination of doing the right type of conditioning (like Lesnar does), and pacing yourself. After the first Mir fight, Lesnar’s approach has been conservative, exploding only when he has to (finishing Mir and Couture, chasing down Mir on the feet). Mariusz fought like he was using his strength advantage like a crutch.

It’s similar to a lot of BJJ newbies. First time they get to grapple, most of them go all out, powering in and out of submissions and positions. It’s inefficient and leaves them gassed. 2/3 months later their cardio seems to exponentially increase. It has less to do with actual conditioning through sparring and more to do with learning to efficiently grapple. Watching Mariusz fight, it’s obvious he needs to get past that beginner stage. Strength is only a bad thing in combat sports if you use it unwisely.

FWIW Big Tim weighed 305 for the fight. That is alot of weight to throw around and be pressed on from.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Don’t know about that. Lesnar may have a little less muscle than Pudz, yet more weight, and appears to have a fantastic gas tank for a HW. Carwin is said to have cardio to last rounds (never seen).

I guess what I’m saying is that it isn’t impossible to have that much muscle and decent cardio. It’s a combination of doing the right type of conditioning (like Lesnar does), and pacing yourself. After the first Mir fight, Lesnar’s approach has been conservative, exploding only when he has to (finishing Mir and Couture, chasing down Mir on the feet). Mariusz fought like he was using his strength advantage like a crutch.

It’s similar to a lot of BJJ newbies. First time they get to grapple, most of them go all out, powering in and out of submissions and positions. It’s inefficient and leaves them gassed. 2/3 months later their cardio seems to exponentially increase. It has less to do with actual conditioning through sparring and more to do with learning to efficiently grapple. Watching Mariusz fight, it’s obvious he needs to get past that beginner stage. Strength is only a bad thing in combat sports if you use it unwisely.[/quote]
Uhhhhhhh no

[quote]rundymc wrote:
[/quote]

Pretty sure that Lesnar is taller and lighter than Pudz. He also has relatively skinny legs compared to Mariusz and isn’t as lean.

[quote]

It’s similar to a lot of BJJ newbies. First time they get to grapple, most of them go all out, powering in and out of submissions and positions. It’s inefficient and leaves them gassed. 2/3 months later their cardio seems to exponentially increase. It has less to do with actual conditioning through sparring and more to do with learning to efficiently grapple. Watching Mariusz fight, it’s obvious he needs to get past that beginner stage. Strength is only a bad thing in combat sports if you use it unwisely.[/quote]

Probably some truth to that, but one still has to improve their combat specific cardio along with becoming more technically efficient if they ever want to be able to compete at a high level.

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
I don’t know why everybody bashes Tim Sylvia, he never talks trashes to anybody. Maybe just because he looks lanky and fight a safe game plan, but hey the guy was a UFC champ.[/quote]

For real. He’s a bit of a goob, but he’s a BIG dude with legit skills. People sell him short a lot. Hell, I think he sells himself short sometimes. He’s pretty talented though.