Tightest Beats

LOL! Me and one of my boys who are big into hip-hop have gone on long tangents about how fucking ridiculous Jus Allah is.

Real talk, what Timbaland and the Neptunes were doing in the late 90s and first half of the 00s probably can’t be beat as far as an overall period for hip hop production goes.

I could probably fill the thread up with beats of theirs that [I’d personally consider] good enough to make the cut. Decade just ended so I was listening to some of the hits from earlier and I couldn’t help but notice how much those guys were responsible for. Thought I’d mention that before I posted some beats:

[quote]Deorum wrote:
No offense to other’s taste in hip-hop but 99% of beats in the thread were extremely generic. Not to say I don’t like alotta the songs. Anyway it should be a fucking crime to talk about hip hop production without mentioning Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind.

El P has also put out some extremely dope productions in the past:

(God I hope there isn’t anybody who considers himself a hip-hop head who don’t know these producers or groups)[/quote]

God, I hope there isn’t anybody who considers himself a hip-hop head who seriously just called 9th Wonder beats “generic.”

Between me and WhiteFlash… really?

guys im kinda new to hip hop in a sense so what do you guys mean by “hip hop production.” Do the producers create the beats and write the lyrics or just create the beats and put the album together?

Also whats a creative director and what do they do in relation to the album?

Cheers

Please don’t let this thread die. I’m down to add a few daily.

wow im impressed.

Love gangstarr and most jazzy hip hop

Check this kid out he is absolutley SIIICK. BLU and Exile

Another lesser known cat is Rise and the Avid Record Collector. Check his shit out

Good contributions guys.

Funny I don’t remember calling 9th wonder “generic”. Still I DEFINITELY wouldn’t call 9th wonder anything special. He is better than the average pop artist’s producer though.

Rich, I’m sure you’ve heard of 'em but Guru from Gangstarr has released a few albums titled Jazzmataz. It’s basically him rapping over some cool old sampled jazz beats with some straight instumentals. That Rise beat was pretty sick. Never heard of them.

Here’s one of my all time favorite rappers. Ya’ll will probably recognize him as the guy who did ‘The Boondocks’ theme song. Go check out the album ‘soon come’. Not sure if it’s their first, but it’s the first I heard, probably in '04. It’s a classic.

I’m not big into activist type hip-hop but i can definitely appreciate the production on it.

[quote]Michael C wrote:

Mike, that’s great. Was gonna post this at some point. He’s from around my way, and every kid I knew at 16-17 years old had this whole album memorized. The funny thing is the dude singing isn’t Lil’ Troy.

Nas - Life's A Bitch x 9th wonder the cross remix - YouTube (Originally a remix for The Cross, but that song sucks.)

- YouTube (I was very impressed Luda enlisted DJ Premier…)

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Michael C wrote:
[/quote]

Mike, that’s great. Was gonna post this at some point. He’s from around my way, and every kid I knew at 16-17 years old had this whole album memorized. The funny thing is the dude singing isn’t Lil’ Troy.[/quote]
Sittin’ Phat Down South…hells yeah. So who is this phantom wrapper/singer/maker of all ye men who at one point in life hate women feel better for just under three minutes? And the album Sittin Phat, I can’t remember if that was a collaboration, or his own CD. And for the record, when it comes to Prof X, dude, just let him do his thing. For some reason he is like fucking Gawd around here, and I have no clue why. He disagrees with everything and everyone, to include almost every strength and conditioning coach that write articles here. Bottom line, he is just a dick, and I wouldn’t waste my time getting into a pissing match with him again.

[quote]Michael C wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Michael C wrote:
[/quote]

Mike, that’s great. Was gonna post this at some point. He’s from around my way, and every kid I knew at 16-17 years old had this whole album memorized. The funny thing is the dude singing isn’t Lil’ Troy.[/quote]
Sittin’ Phat Down South…hells yeah. So who is this phantom wrapper/singer/maker of all ye men who at one point in life hate women feel better for just under three minutes? And the album Sittin Phat, I can’t remember if that was a collaboration, or his own CD. And for the record, when it comes to Prof X, dude, just let him do his thing. For some reason he is like fucking Gawd around here, and I have no clue why. He disagrees with everything and everyone, to include almost every strength and conditioning coach that write articles here. Bottom line, he is just a dick, and I wouldn’t waste my time getting into a pissing match with him again.[/quote]

I can’t remember the name of the guy for the life of me, but he has a pretty good voice haha. I don’t get the PX love either man. He tells people they suck and they thank him for it? He actually demanded I apologize, hahaha. No worries. Be good homey.

EDIT: Sittin Phat was his, but he had a few people on a few different tracks, and obviously this guy do this. I’m gonna figure this dudes name out.

Double edit: It’s Nattie. All I could come up with.

nappy roots - awnaw

lloyd banks - look ma (off V5 mixtape)

lloyd banks - work magic

dr. dre - xxplosive

lil jon - put yo hood up

lil jon - rep yo city

[quote]Michael C wrote:

Lol is this shit for real? I kno I havnt been around for a long time but this seems very umm… interesting. Heavy underground i bet?

I think Boys II Men shuld do a cover of that song. Would be killer haha

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]Michael C wrote:

Lol is this shit for real? I kno I havnt been around for a long time but this seems very umm… interesting. Heavy underground i bet?

I think Boys II Men shuld do a cover of that song. Would be killer haha[/quote]

Hell yes this is for real. Not underground so much as under appreciated. This was when [outside of scarface and the getto boys] Houston rap went under the radar. Have you ever heard the song “Wanna be a baller”? Same album. 'Tis the shit, and dominated Houston radio in late '98 through early '99 [Baller I mean]. I moved to Austin in mid '99 and they were just getting it, and EVERYONE was jamming it.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]Michael C wrote:
[/quote]

I think Boys II Men shuld do a cover of that song. Would be killer haha[/quote]

Hell yes this is for real. Not underground so much as under appreciated. This was when [outside of scarface and the getto boys] Houston rap went under the radar. Have you ever heard the song “Wanna be a baller”? Same album. 'Tis the shit, and dominated Houston radio in late '98 through early '99 [Baller I mean]. I moved to Austin in mid '99 and they were just getting it, and EVERYONE was jamming it.[/quote]

I remember the first time I heard this song. I was living in the SF Bay Area and my boy Martin had just gotten back from living in, you guessed it, Houston '98-‘99, and he picked me up to go do some sanding, priming, painting, and overall just fucking up this unlucky person’s house. I got in the car, and we normally didn’t talk in the morning because we were both too drunk still from the night before, and he said, ‘check this shit out.’ And ever since, I have been sittin’ phat, down south. 100% true story.