Tightening Your Shoulder Capsule

About 10 years ago, I had a labrum repair in my shoulder after a subluxation. I finally went to the physical therapist, and she said my shoulder joint has too much play. Without a new surgery is it possible to bring back more stability?

1 Like

I had multi-directional severe instability in my left shoulder due to Elhers-Danlos. Right shoulder was better, but still had instability. It was so bad for nearly 10 years that surgery wasn’t recommended since the chances of it working weren’t high enough for me. I had so much “play” in my shoulder joints that my physical therapist once started laughing at it haha.

What are your symptoms? For me, pretty much everything made my left shoulder inflame immediately. Which then oftentimes led to elbow and wrist tendonitis which sometimes led to swelling. This happened from holding a coffee cup once haha.

Are your symptoms similar? I can talk about what worked for me to tighten my shoulder joints. My shoulder labrum never tore, though.

I had a bankart repair surgery after shoulder dislocation and was still suffering a lot of pain doing about any weight lifting (but especially bench) despite all the conventional shoulder rehab. What ended up helping was working with a PRI trainer, and then using Bench Blokz to not push my shoulder into end range extension on bench.

I was diagnosed with a micro tear in my left shoulder capsule, so I had to have surgery. When I couldn’t use my left shoulder, my right shoulder was loaded and over time, my right shoulder started to hurt. My doctor said that there is no tear in my right shoulder, but there may be a tear in my dominant shoulder due to microtrauma in the future and he suggested physical therapy exercises to me. These exercises are simple rehabilitation exercises that provide flexibility, range of motion and stabilization. By doing these exercises for 3 months, I made good progress and healed my right shoulder without surgery. For now I only do these exercises before my shoulder workout, it takes 10-15 minutes in total.

I’ve researched, put together and programmed these exercises on the internet before, I’ll leave them here for you, I still recommend consulting a healthcare professional, I hope they’ll be of use to you.
1- Shoulder pendulum
2- Arm circles
3- Wall Slides
4- Internal rotation
5- External rotation
6- Towel shoulder stretch
7- Doorway stretch
8- Reverse shoulder stretch

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’m going through some shoulder/biceps tendon issues now. Always nice to have more tools in the box.

After the surgery, I only feel pain in my shoulder and upper arm bone while doing pull-ups. Therefore, I think it would be better not to do certain exercises until you have fully recovered.

@startingagain

I may be getting my shoulders tightened soon (alongside a repair of any tendon and cartilage that has torn). Would you like to hear how it goes for me?

Shoulders in EDS patients CAN be tightened, but the outcome isn’t as good as it is for someone without EDS.

Generally speaking, if the surgery takes hold it lasts for 10-15 years (we usually wind up getting joint replacements at earlier ages anyway). I’ll take getting my 20’s back over how I currently am

1 Like

Definitely!! Keep me updated. When is the surgery?