T Nation

Tightening Skin

Hi . I have lost around 35lbs over the last two years goin from around 220lbs to 185lbs i was big at 220 and certainly not all fat .it seems that there is hardly not much fat on me now except on my belly… im not sure if its fat or loose skin! has anyone got any tips on tightening the skin? i.e salt baths ,creams etc? im probably around 13% bf right now!

i train 3/4 times a week and do quite a bit of cardio probably get aroun 3000kcal a day!

Any help would be great!

At 13% you don’t have loose skin - you still have fat stores around your waist - get down to single digits and then re-assess.

how many weeks of deiting do you recon i will have to do to go down to single digit b/f?? how many pound would i roughly have to loose?

cheers

[quote]ALED wrote:
how many weeks of deiting do you recon i will have to do to go down to single digit b/f?? how many pound would i roughly have to loose?

cheers[/quote]

That depends on many factors.

Why don’t you post your current diet and training regimen (in detail, including nutrient macros and all your lifts with #'s, type and amount of cardio, etc.) for me and I’ll try and help you out with tweaking the macros and a good game plan to accomplish your goals. A pic wouldn’t hurt either, but is not completely necessary.

185 at 13% (how accurate is that BTW? What was your method of BF assessment?). Also, how tall are you?

im jst guesstimating 13% bf to be honest on what ive seen on other pictures! not a good method i know!
i do a split routine e.g monday chest biceps ,wednesday back. legs and friday triceps ,shoulders.
im 5 ft 10. for cardio i usually do it on non lifting day either run 45min…uphill sprints on bike or boxercise for around an hour! i try and go for a long walk etc after my lifting.

my diet looks something like this:-

breakfast 7:00 am - Oatmeal and Honey

10:00 am - 4 Rounds of bread with Tuna(whole can)

12:30pm - Turkey and Coleslaw Roll Granary Bread with apple and banana

15:00pm- Yoghurt

16:30 - 17:30 -Training

17:45pm- Protein Shake

18:30pm-Dinner Something that includes protein e.g Turkey bREASTS with Salad

10:00pm - Bowl of Cereal

i know the protein content of my diet may be a bit low . what do you recon or hwo should i go around things?? diet etc?

cheers

Ok - well, first things first you’re certainly not eating enough. I know it seems counterintuitive to eat more when trying to lose fat, but trust me, it’s one of the biggest mistakes people make (whether trying to lose fat or gain mass).

Based on your weight and BF percentage (which I actually assume is likely higher than you think it is since you are completely guessing)you should be taking in around 3200 -3300 calories a day - on a 30/40/30 macro split (protein/carbs/fat)that amounts to approximately 244 grams of protein, 326 grams of carbs and 109 grams fat.

Since fat loss is more of your goal than mass building, I’d switch that out a bit for a 40/30/30 split, and that would look like this: Protein - 326/carbs - 244/fat - 109 (basically just flip-flop the protein and carbs - same numbers, just reversed).

Here’s a sample diet for you to try and pattern your meal intake after, and I’m also going to suggest a couple of quality supplements. I’m not a huge supps whore, but I know what works, and you should try them out.

The diet sample features increased fat and lower carbs than the suggested intake, but most of the fat intake here comes from a healthy mix of poly and mono-unsaturated sources, and since you’re trying to burn off bodyfat you should benefit from a plan like this. Low on starchy carbs and high in fibrous carbs.

One difference - on lifting days, make sure to take in starchy carbs in the morning and immediately after training. Again, these are just suggestions and guidelines - you can tweak things as you go once you see how your body responds. Also, feel free to substitute foods, just make sure that whatever you switch out has an equal kcal and macronutrient profile. Oh, and when I say “greens” I mean a cup of spinach, broccoli, salad - any kind of fibrous carbs.

Sample Diet

Supplements: Multi-vitamin (1 tab per day), 500 mg Vitamin C (1 tab per day), Flameout Fish oil caplets (4 per day), BCAA (12 caps per day). Metabolic Drive shakes and Whey protein.

Breakfast 7:00 am

Metabolic Drive shake w/1/2 cup oats

460 Kcals
46 grams protein
50 grams carbs
11 grams fat

Midmorning meal 10:00 am:

1/2 pound shrimp w/Greens
300 Kcals
46 grams protein
2 grams carbs
4 grams fat

Lunch 1:00 pm

Pecan-crusted salmon (8 oz salmon fillet w/crushed pecans and olive oil)w/greens

680 Kcals
57 grams protein
9 grams carbs
47 grams fat

Mid-afternoon meal 4:00 pm

10.5 oz Chkn breast w/greens
585 Kcals
87 grams protein
2 grams carbs
15 grams fat

Dinner 7:00 pm

Greek burger w/salad
(10 oz lean ground beef with feta cheese, black olives and fresh garlic)
600 Kcals
77 grams protein
5 grams carbs
29 grams fat

Salad (Romaine lettuce, half cucumber, half avocado, half oz walnuts) 315 kcals/29 grams fat
Dressing (garlic chili flaxseed oil & balsamic vinegar) 130 kcals 14 grams fat
1 apple 80 Kcals, 21 grams carbs

Total: 1127 Kcals/80 grams protein /26 gms carbs/Fibrous carbs/72 gms fat

Pre-bed anti-catabolic meal 10:00 pm

1 cup lowfat cottage cheese

160 Kcals
24 grams protein
12 grams carbs
3 grams fat

Daily Totals: 3310 Kcals/340 grams protein/106 grams carbs/152 grams fat.

As for your program, I’m going to suggest you train 3x per week on a split - Day one - Chest/Back. Day 2 - Legs/Calves Take a rest day and then on Day 3 - Arms/Shldrs.

I’d switch up the cardio to 2 - 3 x per week in a HIIT style for 20 minutes. Try and get 3 “rounds” in that time -meaning you work at a moderate pace for 5 minutes, then go all out for 1 minute, then rest 2 minutes - wash, rinse, repeat.

The BCAA’s will help protect mass as you burn off the fat, and the fish oil is invaluable in many ways - do a site search and read any of the numerous articles on fish oil.

Make sure you take in either a solid meal of proper macros within 30 minutes of training, or a meal replacement shake. I’d also suggest taking one day a week (probably Saturday or Sunday) and have a few cheat meals with plenty of starchy carbs to re-supply glycogen stores (you can spread this out from 24 - 48 hours before you return to a lower carb diet, just don’t go completely insane and wind up in a food coma for days afterward ; ).

You should be lifting maximum poundages to insure you maintain your LBM, and keep your reps in the 8 - 10 range.

I think if you try these suggestions out you’ll see better results. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.