Tight Hips and Groin from Squatting

My left hip and groin area gets extremely tight from doing squats to the point where I can only squat every other week. I do a lot of leg swings (back and forth as well as side to side) but I still get extremely tight. Any suggestions on how to combat this problem?

stretch, third world squat, foam roll

This is what helped me fix my hip pain:

1. Foam Roll (the quads, and the IT band)
  2. Do some type of rectus femoris stretch/mobilization
  3. Do some type of psoas-strengthening exercise
  4. Do some type of hip internal rotation exercise

2-4 really had a synergistic effect on my hip pain and eliminated it in ONE squat workout. I was getting pain in my right hip when I was deep in the hole in a front squat, but that was no more as soon as I did these.

Daily stretching afterwards of the hip flexors, quads, and hammies would work well too.

yoga

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
stretch, third world squat, foam roll[/quote]

This ^^ Every day.

Sorry, what is a third world squat ?

Magnificent Mobility, also the warmups from Eric Cressey’s Maximum Strength.

I felt like Smith Machine hurdle drills, hip flexor stretching and squat to stands helped me the most.

Can you explain what exercises you used for 2-4? Thanks!

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

2-4 really had a synergistic effect on my hip pain and eliminated it in ONE squat workout. I was getting pain in my right hip when I was deep in the hole in a front squat, but that was no more as soon as I did these.

Daily stretching afterwards of the hip flexors, quads, and hammies would work well too.[/quote]

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
Can you explain what exercises you used for 2-4? Thanks!

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Daily stretching afterwards of the hip flexors, quads, and hammies would work well too.[/quote]
[/quote]

Was about to post the same thing.

Sure. I got all these from the Assess and Correct product.

For rectus femoris stretch/mobilization, it is the 2nd video posted in the following link. For hip internal rotation exercise, it is the picture posted directly after the rectus femoris video.

Also, here is a hip internal rotation exericse. Basically set-up like this but with your knees always in contact, and move your feet outwards like a windshield wiper, back and forth for 8-12 reps.

For the psoas strengthening exercise:

Stand facing a wall, with your hands out front (straight arms) resting on the wall. Your feet should be 3-4 feet away from the wall so your body is not completely vertical… sort of angled towards the wall (i.e. 75-80 degree angle with the wall). As you push the heel of one foot into the floor, simultaneously raise the opposite knee into your chest (or try). Hold that stance of hip flexion for 5 seconds, then drop the knee down and do the same thing for the other leg and hold for 5 secs. Repeat this again for each leg one more time.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Sorry, what is a third world squat ?[/quote]

Doing the stretches Andy mentioned plus the third world squat really helped open up my hips. Read the whole article and do what it says: