Tiger Mom

One of Amy Chua’s daughters, Sophia, wrote this open letter in the NY Times. She doesn’t seem too upset at being raised this way.

I am a lazy person by nature. As a kid I just wanted to watch TV and play outside, normal kid stuff. I was intelligent but bored easily. My mom was very strict with me and I needed it. I wasn’t self motivated and because I got bored easily I wanted to quit everything. I needed my mom to crack the whip with me to keep me on the straight and narrow. I didn’t get in trouble just lazy.

The only time I ever slipped in school was when my parents were separated and my grades slipped in the 70s(C). My mom layed off me because of my “feelings”,etc. I wished she wouldn’t. I wish she would have been tougher on me. My freshman year kept me from finishing school in the top ten students and possibly a scholarship.

It doesn’t always work this way. Some kids are mature and self motivated and don’t need strict parents but most are not.

As a teacher I see the product of shitty parenting daily. Tonight we have a parent’s night and I will have less than five parents come to see me. Typical of shitty parents. But they will be at the Football game.

Christ, I’d rather not have kids than treat them like automatons like this cunt did.

Keep in mind that this woman’s daughter made her a birthday card and it wasn’t nice enough, so she called it garbage.

That’s not just pushing your kid- that’s being outright mean.

I knew a Chinese guy once

My girlfriend is Chinese, and was raised in Asia by very controlling parents. She got straight A’s and went to Carnegie Melon university and graduated with a double master in computer science and statistics. She had a pretty good job.

I’m American. I dropped out of college. I started a company. I hired her recently and I pay her salary now.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
My girlfriend is Chinese, and was raised in Asia by very controlling parents. She got straight A’s and went to Carnegie Melon university and graduated with a double master in computer science and statistics. She had a pretty good job.

I’m American. I dropped out of college. I started a company. I hired her recently and I pay her salary now.[/quote]

Be sure to tell that story if you ever meet her folks.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

I’m American. I dropped out of college. I started a company. I hired her recently and I pay her salary now.[/quote]

Be sure to tell that story if you ever meet her folks.[/quote]

We’ve been dating for 5 years. Her parents hate me with every bone in their body. It’s a good time.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
The press around the book is designed to inflame and intrigue you to some extent.

I heard her talk a lot about how her daughters changed her attitude to a lot of that stuff FWIW.

Edit:
“Nothing is fun until you’re good at it.” I like that a lot.[/quote]

Not true, ball room dancing was fun for me before I even before I wasn’t good at it.[/quote]

The same goes for sex.[/quote]

Wouldn’t know, I am Catholic. :wink:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

That’s pretty fucking funny.

I think people underestimate American ingenuity when it comes to making money. We might not know how to play the piano or what the fuck an electron cloud is, but we’re the ones paying other people to find out…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

I think people underestimate American ingenuity when it comes to making money. We might not know how to play the piano or what the fuck an electron cloud is, but we’re the ones paying other people to find out…[/quote]

lol…

I’ll take the road least traveled, that of Ford, Carnegie, &c. They can have the hard road of competing for scholarships and seats in masters classes their Sophomore year in College. Rock Chalk.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

I think people underestimate American ingenuity when it comes to making money. We might not know how to play the piano or what the fuck an electron cloud is, but we’re the ones paying other people to find out…[/quote]

lol…

I’ll take the road least traveled, that of Ford, Carnegie, &c. They can have the hard road of competing for scholarships and seats in masters classes their Sophomore year in College. Rock Chalk.[/quote]

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. Hard work and success can be measure many different ways. While I would agree that in general Asian culture seems to breed hard workers, that doesn’t necessarily determine success in life. Creativity and courage have a lot to do with it as well, and there should be something said about the way Americans raise their kids since this country holds entrepreneurship so highly. I’d say one could make an argument that American culture breeds innovation.

Im Asian (Shocker) and the way my parents raised me and my older sister were completely night and day. When she grew up,she was completely sheltered,forced to study alot,had to deal with a lot of pressure. As she grew up,she started rebelling in pretty terrible ways. Running away,doing drugs,what have you. It was when she was around 8 when i came into the picture. They knew that being the hardass,hardline Asian parents failed in this Society so they started to loosen up. They wanted my grades up but they gave me some freedoms.i could play football,take Kickboxing,was given an American name,and just do what I want as long as its within a reasonable boundary. I can only think of one instances where I came home with a mohawk (a real one) when they flipped the fuck out and demanded that I shave my head. Im 22 and shes 30,Im almost graduating and so is she. Sure we both turned out alright but I think Im fortunate that I was raised with a laid back attitude yet with some discipline here and there.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

Told from this point of view, your position seems favorable. However, were your company to fail, she could simply be hired elsewhere with a comparable salary. You, on the otherhand, would not have the same option.

I’m all for ingenuity, but the hard work she put in ultimately gives her more options than you…and that hard work certainly shouldn’t be minimized just because you took a different route to success.

Many of the things she says also remind me of what the Nazis used to say about the American youth- lazy and spoiled, democracy had made us weak, and that raising the kids in that hardline-way was the way to go.

And yet, when we were fighting against them, I’ve read from numerous sources that the Germans, once out of their command structure, could not think for themselves, while every infantryman in the American army would come up with some way of doing things differently - and it worked.

So while no one doubts German engineering skills in the technical sense, their instincts on the battlefield weren’t as good as ours.

[quote]SpnKick540 wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

Told from this point of view, your position seems favorable. However, were your company to fail, she could simply be hired elsewhere with a comparable salary. You, on the otherhand, would not have the same option.

I’m all for ingenuity, but the hard work she put in ultimately gives her more options than you…and that hard work certainly shouldn’t be minimized just because you took a different route to success.[/quote]

I don’t think he was taking anything away from her, just illustrating the point that one way does not necessarily mean you’ll end up better.

[quote]SpnKick540 wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

I’m all for ingenuity, but the hard work she put in ultimately gives her more options than you…and that hard work certainly shouldn’t be minimized just because you took a different route to success.[/quote]

I don’t think he was taking anything away from her, just illustrating the point that one way does not necessarily mean you’ll end up better.[/quote]

If I misinterpretted the intention of the post, apologies. But even re-reading it, the general feel is “She did all this work just to end up being under me…a guy who dropped out of college.”

Many of the things she says also remind me of what the Nazis used to say about the American youth- lazy and spoiled, democracy had made us weak, and that raising the kids in that hardline-way was the way to go.

And yet, when we were fighting against them, I’ve read from numerous sources that the Germans, once out of their command structure, could not think for themselves, while every infantryman in the American army would come up with some way of doing things differently - and it worked.

So while no one doubts German engineering skills in the technical sense, their instincts on the battlefield weren’t as good as ours.[/quote]
Prreeety sure thats a stretch…

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

Prreeety sure thats a stretch…[/quote]

Ahhh… I don’t.

Keep in mind that this woman’s daughter made her a birthday card and it wasn’t nice enough, so she called it garbage.

That’s not just pushing your kid- that’s being outright mean.[/quote]

It’s only a matter of time before the kids get a gun and shoot her in her sleep.