Tier System Thoughts

I have been toying about using a fullbody Tier approach for the summer months, since I will probably only be able to get to a weightroom 3 times a week during the summer. With that, I have put together a template for the Tier System. It won’t really be an Elite model (for thos familar with Kenn’s work) but rather a more Tradiontal model. Ok, enough of that. Here it is:

Day One (T emphasis)
1 - Hang Clean (based on Priplen’s chart)
2 - Single Leg Varation 4x6-8
3 - DB Bench Varation 3-4x10-12
Extras for the day
4 - Accessory Posteior Chain
5 - Horzontial Row

Day Two (L Emphasis)
1 - Squat/Deadlift 5-6x3-5 (or M/E)
2 - Close Grip Varation 4x5-8
3 - DB Snatch/DB Clean/Farmers Walk 3x8-10
Extras
4 - Vertical Row

Day 3 (U Emphasis)
1 - Bench Variation
2 - Partial Pull (OLY - High Pull etc)
3 - Heavy Posterior Chain (GM,RDL etc)
Extras
4 - Horizontal Row

Looks good. If I was going to nitpick
1 - first exercise should always be 6 sets, 2nd 5, 3rd 4 sets

2 - The reps for each emphasis shoudl be the same, ie, you shouldnt do 10-12 reps for db bench and then 5-8 for the close grip

3 - rather than waiting til the “extra” portion of the workouts - when you’ll be tired - to work your upper body with somehting other than a horizontal push, do it earlier

4 - more core work in hte extras, not just the TB day

but looks good

Can someone please explain the basic principles of the Tier system?

I too would like to learn more about this system

KBC, thanks for the input. I’m still toying around with what the volume is going to be for each tier because my my work schedule is going to be pretty demanding so I’m not sure exactly how much volume I am going to be able to tolerate.

Also, I am probably going to be doing some ab work on 2 or 3 of the days too, I just forgot to write that down.

Finally, I am going to be careful with the total amount of leg work in the extras because I plan on doing running/GPP/sled work on two days of the week.

Fellas, here are some links from archives about the system. Joe Kenn has also made a book up about the system, called “The Coach’s Strength Training Playbook”.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=504910

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=482012

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=432787

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
KBC, thanks for the input. I’m still toying around with what the volume is going to be for each tier because my my work schedule is going to be pretty demanding so I’m not sure exactly how much volume I am going to be able to tolerate.
[/quote]

If you’re worried about recovery, I think the tier sys will be GREAT for you. The two cycles I did, I would leave the gym feeling like I got hit by a truck and 12-18 hours later feel GREAT, like I could’ve played a game of b-ball, skied, dragged a sled, or any other physical activity. The one caveat to that is that they were both S-END cycles, SO i’m not sure how a heavier cycle would feel

I STRONGLY urge anyone even mildly interested in the tier system to buy coach kenn’s book. In a nutshell, there are 3 total body workouts/week and it’s designed for athletes who have practices/other physical activity throughout the week. There’s much more info than I could go into here. I may not have the most extensive collection of strength-training books, but of the ones I have, “The Coach’s Strength Training Playbook” is hands down my favorite.

To add:

I agree with KBC, although I have a TON of books and videos. My company buys them as “continuing education”.

The book is very, very well thought out.

I do have a question though: has anyone seen the video?

I think it is of Joe presenting at an NSCA conference, but am not sure.

Hey Thanks,

Do you have any links to any of Joe Kenn’s actual programs? (If there are any free ones online?)

Thanks Again

Dollar for dollar kenns book is THE best value out there. Great book. Packed with onfo.