Tideland Trailer

This looks like the weirdest movie I have ever seen.

Saw it at a screening at the Hirshhorn. Terry Gilliam was there to answer audience questions. Very weird and possibly disturbing (to some) movie.

Is that the Monty Python dude?

[quote]MrCritical wrote:
Is that the Monty Python dude?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
This looks like the weirdest movie I have ever seen.

that looks nothing like Eraserhead.

…but I must say, it looks very interesting.

[quote]doiron wrote:
Saw it at a screening at the Hirshhorn. Terry Gilliam was there to answer audience questions. Very weird and possibly disturbing (to some) movie. [/quote]

Did you get to meet him? I’m a huge Gilliam fan, I’ve watched every movie he’s directed. IMO he’s probably one of the best directors in the history of cinema. Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in LV, I even loved Baron Munchausen. I can’t wait to see Tideland.

[quote]uber9 wrote:
doiron wrote:
Saw it at a screening at the Hirshhorn. Terry Gilliam was there to answer audience questions. Very weird and possibly disturbing (to some) movie.

Did you get to meet him? I’m a huge Gilliam fan, I’ve watched every movie he’s directed. IMO he’s probably one of the best directors in the history of cinema. Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in LV, I even loved Baron Munchausen. I can’t wait to see Tideland.[/quote]

The critics have ripped this movie apart as if it were pure garbage on screen.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The critics have ripped this movie apart as if it were pure garbage on screen.[/quote]

I think we know how much that really matters…

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I think we know how much that really matters…[/quote]

The girl is the same one from Silent Hill so my mind is open until I see it. However, the types of reviews they are giving it make it seem like they are going to war and the director of this movie is the enemy.

[quote]uber9 wrote:
doiron wrote:

Did you get to meet him? I’m a huge Gilliam fan, I’ve watched every movie he’s directed. IMO he’s probably one of the best directors in the history of cinema. Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in LV, I even loved Baron Munchausen. I can’t wait to see Tideland.[/quote]

He stood around in the lobby shaking hands before the screening, and answered audience questions after. If I had been a step or two faster I could have caught him before, but I was lucky to get in at all.

uber9 wrote:
doiron wrote:

Did you get to meet him? I’m a huge Gilliam fan, I’ve watched every movie he’s directed. IMO he’s probably one of the best directors in the history of cinema. Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in LV, I even loved Baron Munchausen. I can’t wait to see Tideland.

The critics have ripped this movie apart as if it were pure garbage on screen.[/quote]

I’m not sure if it’s his best work in my opinion (strictly personal taste), but he said (IIRC) that he wanted to create a movie that really makes people talk afterward, not just “yeah that movie was nice” kind of blather. I think he did. Some people will hate it.

The thing that I always enjoy with Gilliam is the blurring of where reality and fantasy begin and end…or basically, how crazy is the protagonist, and am I seeing reality or their version of it?

PGA200X wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I think we know how much that really matters…

The girl is the same one from Silent Hill so my mind is open until I see it. However, the types of reviews they are giving it make it seem like they are going to war and the director of this movie is the enemy.[/quote]

I’m not a fan of Brazil but liked Fear and Loathing so this movie will be a toss up as far as the enjoyment factor.

uber9 wrote:
doiron wrote:

I haven’t paid attention to film critics in a long time. I know what kind of films I enjoy and Gilliam hasn’t disappointed me yet.